Swimming

Options
Slu13
Slu13 Posts: 44 Member
Hi everyone!

I really enjoy swimming, but don’t enjoy the gym. Iv been told that swimming don’t really help with weight loss, is that true? I want to do something I enjoy otherwise I just quit to easy but I really need to do something that will help me loose weight and tone up!

Any info?

Replies

• collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    False. If you're doing an all out swim workout -- AKA, you're not just lazily doing backstroke or meandering down the lane -- it's almost on par with running. I can burn just as much in an hour of breaststroke as I do in an hour of running.

But, at the end of the day, weight loss comes down to what you eat versus what you burn. So nutrition is more important.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Swimming purposefully is good cardio exercise and is also good for upper body strength. Great for 'bingo wings ' Vary your strokes to exercise all your muscles
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Swimming is great! Have you ever seen a fat competitive swimmer? ;)

Seriously though, its one of the best full body exercises you can do with little to no joint impact as other sports/exercises have. You work your arms, back, legs... You can Google some sample swimming workouts that are great to do.

Swimmers have amazing physiques and are in great shape! I would absolutely be doing this all the time if I had a gym membership and they had a pool.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone, swimming is an amazing full body workout, and I love it.

It is also the only exercise that leaves me hungry, though. I find I need to eat something with protein, fiber, and carbs right afterward to ward off the hunger beast. If that's true for you too, make sure you plan ahead so you don't wreck your day.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    One myth I've heard is that swimming makes you cold and being cold makes you particularly hungry. Such a load of crap! All exercise makes me hungry (once the buzz wears off).

Now it is true that there are a number of heavier swimmers, many quite fast. Extra weight isn't as much of a problem in the water as it is on land. Maybe this is where the myth comes from.
  • zk0714
    zk0714 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Swimming is an amazing workout and yes, it helps with weight loss!!! I do it all the time and it’s amazing and easy on the joints as well!!!
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Swimming is a great workout.
  • fitinitin
    fitinitin Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Swimming is an excellent workout to build strength & endurance. I swam for 19 years & avoided running, I hated running. At 35 I added running and cycling to my routine and completed my first sprint triathlon. I always had an extra layer of fat while I was a solo swimmer and that melted away when I started cross training. My swimming suffered very little when I changed it up for dry land activity and I dropped inches and lbs by mixing it up.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Slu13 wrote: »
    Hi everyone!

I really enjoy swimming, but don’t enjoy the gym. Iv been told that swimming don’t really help with weight loss, is that true? I want to do something I enjoy otherwise I just quit to easy but I really need to do something that will help me loose weight and tone up!

Any info?

Swimming laps is great excercise for burning calories, and getting fit. I swim almost every day, and I am losing weight and I am building a conditioned toned body. I mix it up with aqua fitness classes also on some days.

If you love swimming, then that is the best excercise for you. Go for it!