Advice

Options
heyersb820
heyersb820 Posts: 6 Member
Hey so I’m (re) starting my journey to be a healthier person and loose weight and I’d love to have anyone’s advice or tips. Also any advice for the gym would be greatly appreciated because I don’t even know where to start at the gym thanks in advance

Replies

• Reed039
    Reed039 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    In these types of posts, it would help to establish common ground in terms of what you already know and/or plan on doing.
    Do you understand the basics of nutrition? I.e. energy balance/CICO and the role of different macronutrients.
    In terms of exercise, what are your goals? Pick up a reputable program that aligns with them.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    read the stickied posts. get food scales and accurately count calories. meal planning is essential.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    Options
    heyersb820 wrote: »
    Hey so I’m (re) starting my journey to be a healthier person and loose weight and I’d love to have anyone’s advice or tips. Also any advice for the gym would be greatly appreciated because I don’t even know where to start at the gym thanks in advance

Read the stickied posts, be wary of anything that is a "named diet" if you don't see yourself being able to stick to a way of eating for the rest of your life, it's more than likely a pointless thing to try. Like the rubbish about the cabbage diet above.

To lose weight you require a calorie deficit, you can do this by setting your MFP account with a reasonable rate of loss for your stats and logging your food/drinks accurately and hitting your calorie goal.
    am8pmiaycndf.jpg

If you want to be healthier, make some small changes to your existing diet to ensure you're eating healthier sized portions with a good balance of nutrient dense foods. That doesn't mean you have to cut out foods you enjoy, just make them fit into the way you eat, in moderation.

Is the gym something you will enjoy? I ask because there is a lot of exercise that you can do outside of the gym. Try and incorporate exercise for your health rather than as a weight loss strategy.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    In terms of both diet and exercise, it's more important to enjoy what you're doing than to do what's 'perfect'.

So when it comes to diet, you may find that you need 'cheat' days, or that you can't stand 'healthy' foods, or that your chocolate addiction cannot be denied; and that's fine. The only necessities are that on average you have a calorie deficit, and that you eat a varied diet that includes fruit and veg. Everything else is open to negotiation :)

Similarly, go to the gym, try out a couple of classes, pay for a session with a personal trainer, and find out what you actually like doing. It may be that you don't like going to the gym at all, in which case just do something else! Walking, cycling, outdoor sports, bodyweight strength work at home - they're all perfectly good alternatives.

The best regime is the one you'll actually stick to.
  • xWintersKnightx
    xWintersKnightx Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Cabbage is for bunnies :neutral:
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    At the gym, I would definitely start by investing in a personal trainer for a session or two. They'll work with you on what your personal goals are, and will set you up with a routine that will help you achieve them. If you can't afford a personal trainer, there are also loads of apps that have great workout routines. Nike training club for example.
  • mywayroche
    mywayroche Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    The first 2 weeks are hard. Itll get easier after that but don't be tempted to drop calories again until weight loss slows. Best of luck