2 weeks and only 0.4lb weight loss, what gives?!

Options
Lizzypb88
Lizzypb88 Posts: 367 Member
edited May 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
I've been on this app since 2015 and lost 80 pounds with diet and exercise 3x a week, but started taking weekends off my diet and slowly I added 10 pounds back. Finally 2 weeks ago I decided I can't just diet during the week, because my weight was creeping back up, and exercising 1-2x a week wasn't enough either
So.... I started to correct myself and have been all in dieting 7 days a week, and exercising 3x a week. My first week, I GAINED a pound! I assumed it was from the new/more frequent exercise so I didn't worry... but this week I lost that pound I gained plus a tad more, meaning in 2 weeks I only lost 0.4 pounds! WHY?!!! I'm 5'4 and I went from 280 to 190, up to 200 and now I'm basically stuck! Is it me? I've never had this problem, as long as I ate well with exercise I would lose 1/2 a pound to 1.5lbs a week.... I know weight loss is slower when you don't weigh as much, but I'm still obese so I'm really frustrated!! Most of my meals are from a local meal prep place where food is perfectly portioned and very filling, and it has never steered me wrong in the last few years. I eat 1200-1300 calories a day, run 2x a week and just started using the elliptical.

Replies

• Lizzypb88
    Lizzypb88 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    I find it very surprising that you never experienced this the first time around, because it’s completely normal. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084670/it-is-unlikely-that-you-will-lose-weight-consistently-i-e-weight-loss-is-not-linear

Oh well yes this has happened to me over the years! I had plateaus and some weight gains, but then it would come off, so overall I would lose an average of a pound a week.. sometimes more, rarely a gain, and lots of plateaus... but I'm basically starting my diet over and not seeing a loss in the first 2 weeks so that is surprising to me
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    3ix2bejgnqe2.jpg
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Tracy430 wrote: »
    Are you drinking close to half of your body weight in oz of water, getting plenty of sleep, and not eating 2 hours before bedtime? Those three things can make or break success. Good luck. I know you'll reach your goal.

I think that most people are reading this right, but I think it's not expressed as clearly as it might be. I think you're saying to take one's weight in pounds as a number, and drink half that number of ounces of water daily, more or less. For example, this morning I weighed 134, so if I followed this rule, I'd drink about 67 ounces, which is a little over 8 and 1/3 cups of water - not a crazy amount. The "rule" could yield an unreasonable number for some people at some body weights, however.

Strictly interpreted "half my body weight in ounces" would be 1072 ounces, or 134 cups (8+ gallons). If I did that I'd probably die, but I don't think that's what you meant. For some reason, people usually seem to state it the way you have, and it can be confusing.
    If I’m reading it all correctly, I don’t think anybody is arguing that adequate hydration is a good thing (although her standard is misguided). I think the pushback is coming from the fact that drinking water has absolutely nothing to do with weight loss. You lose weight by eating less calories than you expend. Period. It doesn’t matter what time you eat them or how much water you drink with them.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Drinking a lot of water can be a behavior that replaces mindless snacking. Instead of stress eating, you have a bottle of water. Less stress eating equals fewer calories. It’s not that water causes weight loss but that not eating those extra snacks means fewer calories. I go for about 8-10 cups a day, and it helps.