How do you enter your exercises?

Options
shanionie
shanionie Posts: 18 Member
edited May 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
I own a Fitbit and currently have it set to record
All my steps a day which tells me how many calories I have burned vs turning it off and just recording my exercises manually. Is this the wrong way to be doing things? I am wondering if doing it this way is giving me too many calories to eat back. How do you guys do it?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Is it synced? If it's synced, it will do all of the work for you.
  • shanionie
    Options
    It is, I just feel it was giving me so many calories to eat back!
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I had a Garmin Vivofit so I could monitor my steps and rate of calorie burn, but I always entered my exercise calories manually into MFP. I just liked the idea that if I was using MFP to record food and there was an exercise log option, why not be consistent and use the whole program. Plus, MFP calculated how many extra calories I'd earn, and I'd eat back 50% to 75% of those additional calories.
  • zandrathesweetheart
    zandrathesweetheart Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I had a Garmin Vivofit so I could monitor my steps and rate of calorie burn, but I always entered my exercise calories manually into MFP. I just liked the idea that if I was using MFP to record food and there was an exercise log option, why not be consistent and use the whole program. Plus, MFP calculated how many extra calories I'd earn, and I'd eat back 50% to 75% of those additional calories.

why are you only eating back a portion instead of all of them? I keep hearing this circulate around. Is it because you aren't hungry? I am curious to know.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    I don't count any steps or anything I just turn on map my walk or may my run when I'm doing either activity. Otherwise I'm pretty sedentary at work. I've read that if your fitbit or whatever is synced then it will already record your steps and you don't have to turn it on.
  • shanionie
    Options
    I gained two pounds. 2000 calories a day seemed like too much.
  • shanionie
    Options
    I am currently letting My Fitbit tell MFP how many steps I have for the day. That includes all steps taken that are active and non active. In a day I’ll have 15k steps but those are my treadmill steps, hit steps and walking around the house steps. It I entered exercise separate I would be double recording.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options

why are you only eating back a portion instead of all of them? I keep hearing this circulate around. Is it because you aren't hungry? I am curious to know.

I believe people who do this are just correcting for exercise calorie overestimation.
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I eat back a portion of my fitbit calories but agree, it overestimates my total calories significantly. For example, if I do a 30 minute workout that burns 250 calories I would eat those back, but I won't eat the other 500 it gives me just for not sitting on the couch all day. Seems to be working for me. I'm losing at the rate I expect to, and feel well nourished.
  • shanionie
    Options
    I think that is what I need to do, eat back a portion. I wish Fitbit showed me my non active steps verses exercise steps. I can shut off my walking steps and just enter cardio and hiit steps. Then I would true calories to eat back.