Good Food, Bad Food

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I don't buy the 'there is no bad food' theory (I eat plenty of it, I'm just not in denial that I could make much healthier choices), and you're not going to prove anything by having a diet mostly consisting of junk food.

I'm not sure I would call it a theory so much as an experience or mindset. That you believe someone like myself is in denial after discussing my issues is certainly your choice, but this is why I don't jump into these posts with my story very often.

Except for man-made trans fats. I'll accept that those are objectively a bad food.

Experience or mindset maybe. I just believe that an apple would be healthier for my body than 80 calories of candy... and would fill me up better as well. Of course you can still have a healthy diet with 100 calories of candy here and there though... But nobody can deny that there are food that have way more nutrition value than others.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    when i think of food as fuel, not good or bad, i just ask when i want to fuel myself with. donuts are fun but i'll get more out of an oatmeal with nut butter
    and sometimes, i choose the donut. that's ok too.
    if it fits my calorie allotment
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Experience or mindset maybe. I just believe that an apple would be healthier for my body than 80 calories of candy... and would fill me up better as well. Of course you can still have a healthy diet with 100 calories of candy here and there though... But nobody can deny that there are food that have way more nutrition value than others.

That is not what you said though. You said there was "bad" food. I guess here the candy is "bad" because an apple is better. So then maybe if 80 calories of blueberries are better than an apple... the apple is "bad"?

Meh, I feel like we're arguing semantics here. Is a diet of pure apples going to provide adequate nutrition? No. Is a diet of pure Skittles going to provide adequate nutrition? No. Can someone eat Skittles as part of a healthy lifestyle? Sure.

That doesn't make them equivalents. I don't think it's unreasonable for some people to classify foods that offer nothing but calories and tooth decay as falling below a point on the nutritional spectrum that can be considered "good". I also understand why some people are resistant to classifying food as "good" or "bad" just as some people are resistant to the use of "cheat" day. Not everyone's diet has to be the same, so why does what constitutes a healthy mindset about food have to be exactly the same for everyone?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

That is not what you said though. You said there was "bad" food. I guess here the candy is "bad" because an apple is better. So then maybe if 80 calories of blueberries are better than an apple... the apple is "bad"?

Meh, I feel like we're arguing semantics here. Is a diet of pure apples going to provide adequate nutrition? No. Is a diet of pure Skittles going to provide adequate nutrition? No. Can someone eat Skittles as part of a healthy lifestyle? Sure.

That doesn't make them equivalents. I don't think it's unreasonable for some people to classify foods that offer nothing but calories and tooth decay as falling below a point on the nutritional spectrum that can be considered "good". I also understand why some people are resistant to classifying food as "good" or "bad" just as some people are resistant to the use of "cheat" day. Not everyone's diet has to be the same, so why does what constitutes a healthy mindset about food have to be exactly the same for everyone?

I don't think it's just semantics.

No one disagrees that some food is more nutrient dense than others, and that the nutrition in foods differ (so that depending on the rest of the diet one might be a better choice than another). So that's not the discussion.

The question is whether the fact that another food has more of certain kinds of nutrients makes a specific food inherently "bad." I know some call it that without it being an issue, and I don't really care (to me "junk food" is a neutral term and I use it descriptively without feeling bad about eating something I class as such). But some find that calling a food "bad food" is a negative thing for them, and can be quite damaging (given how common it is to associate shame with food and eating this is not surprising) and so will explain why it might be something to beware of, and that it was harmful for them.

Personally, I don't think the "bad food" term is especially harmful for me, as I don't take it that seriously, but I also don't think it's helpful, and I DO find that trying to think about food logically, and not in moral terms, is very helpful. Rather than feel bad because I ate something not nutrient dense for breakfast and overreact to it (and tell myself I am now starving -- which would be in my head -- and have to have a bad day), it works better to think "yeah, if I want to meet my goals now, important to eat lots of vegetables and protein for lunch and dinner and maybe keep added calories from things like starchy carbs and fat a bit lighter than usual."

I think it's fine to decide that you are different and find the terms bad and good for food useful. I don't think it's cool to dismiss someone else's strongly felt reasons for explaining that the terms are important for them to avoid as not caring about nutrition (which no one did here, but I've seen it before) or denial or some such.

IMO, discussions about what we call things and how that affects thoughts are relevant and interesting.

Also, OP seemed to think that not using the term "bad food" means you don't pay attention to nutrition, which is just odd.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    I once read in a book, called Mindless Eating, that humans don't actually consume calories . . . we consume volume. And in my experience, both with my own weight loss struggles and friends who are on the latest "fad" diet, conventionally "bad" foods tend to be foods that offer large amounts of calories for the volume our brains deem to be adequate for us.

This is conventional thought, and for many of us it's true.

I think it only goes so far, though. For example, many who do keto or low carb and find it helpful are replacing higher volume with smaller, more caloric volume (high fat) and yet finding it more satisfying.

I'm more of a volume eater, but I found eating a bit higher fat to be really helpful for me, since I don't have much problem feeling sated, but I get unsatisfied on a low fat diet over time, and am far less likely to want to say "screw it" and go off my own plan when I have more fat on average, even though that decreases volume some. I will find a dinner more satisfying with a smaller portion of pasta or potatoes and a bit more fat (lots of veg and sufficient protein in either case).

Also, it doesn't seem that people DO use "bad food" consistently for foods that are high cal/low volume. Olive oil is one good example that usually doesn't get classed as such.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Also, OP seemed to think that not using the term "bad food" means you don't pay attention to nutrition, which is just odd.

Just my personal experience: since letting go of the good/bad food distinctions, I find I think about nutrition more and more thoughtfully because instead of just eating things because they are "good" or avoiding them because they're "bad," I'm actually planning meals based on my overall needs.

(Not saying this is the only way to think about nutrition, but it's certainly worked for me).

This is exactly the experience I had too.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Tbh I feel like this entire argument is just semantics. I once made a post a couple years ago asking for low calorie junk food and I got torn apart for using that term. Which I think is silly. I agree with the general concept that there isn’t “good” food or “bad” food. It’s about having a “good” or balanced diet overall and getting your nutrition requirements. If I ate all broccoli I’m sure I would have unpleasant side effects too. However skittles are certainly not very nutritious.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I guess the good food bad food terminology doesn’t affect me at all but I recognize that it can be harmful for people new to weight loss. When someone asks for advice on how to lose weight or what to eat, you always hear the same things. Don’t eat white foods, don’t eat processed foods, don’t drink soda, etc etc. I think those suggestions are very UNhelpful because these people get burnt out eliminating all of these things from their diet and then fall off the wagon. It doesn’t teach them moderation.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Just my personal experience: since letting go of the good/bad food distinctions, I find I think about nutrition more and more thoughtfully because instead of just eating things because they are "good" or avoiding them because they're "bad," I'm actually planning meals based on my overall needs.

(Not saying this is the only way to think about nutrition, but it's certainly worked for me).

But you still make choices and pick some foods instead of others, because, as you say, you're more thoughtful about it.

For me, distinguishing between what will fill me up for the calories and what won't (which I put in the 'good' or 'bad' category) is definitely a tool that is necessary for meal planning (which is a skill that OP seems to be lacking lol). I mean, technically, eating 3 cookies will never be 'good' for my diet because I'll be hungry later.