Cheat days

Options
I was wondering everyones opinion is on cheat days! I have, once again, started this journey of healthy eating and to lose the extra weight I gained due to an injury! Not sure if cheat days are really all that okay or not?!?!? Thanks!!!

Replies

• Brittany1414
    Options
    Of Course!!
    Your only human and to never think that you would eat out or have a cupcake again is crazy!!
    Cheats days are ok once in a while and make up for it during your workouts!!
    Good Luck!!!
  • VulcanLover
    Options
    I think this is individual.

I believe some people NEED the cheat day--so they do not feel deprived and know that in another 7 days...they can have what they desire again.

Others can not handle a cheat day and fall off long term.

Do what works for you.

When I started losing weight and lost a good deal YEARS ago, I had one cheat day per week. I would eat til I almost felt sick. However, it kept me on the rest of the week. It worked for me and as my relationship with food changed, so did my cheat days--I wanted less when I did cheat and some times did not want to.
  • Lunachic77
    Lunachic77 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I'm all for one cheat day a week...it keeps you grounded so you don't go nuts and hold up a Burger King. But I don't eat everything in sight, just things that I really have been looking forward to all week...i.e. Mexican Food or Five Guys. I try to limit it to one Fast Food outing. I haven't had a problem so far and have successfully reached my goal by having one day a week.

Hope it works out for you...best of luck!
  • birdlover97111
    birdlover97111 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I personally don't allow a 'cheat' day for myself..If I did that, I know that I would lose all sense of self-control.....If I want something special (like ice cream), I make sure that I save calories for it and I log everything that I put into my mouth....I do allow myself one day off per week from exercise, though....Good luck on your journey...
  • _angua_
    _angua_ Posts: 35
    Options
    I have cheat days fairly frequently. For me it is something necessary to keep the weight loss thing going long term and makes the whole process feel like less of a diet. Maybe the longer I get healthy the less cheat days I want but for right now I am happy.
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I've heard both sides from having a cheat day once a week to a cheat meal. I think it is ultimately up to you but I've had a cheat meal once every few weeks. It can jump start your metabolism and also help you get over plateaus. However the only down side to eating those cheat meals is your body might start craving for those foods. It depends on what types of foods...meaning if you are going to go all out and have like a hamburger, fries, soda, etc. or would you have a burger with a side of veggies. Just depends. See how it works best overall. Good luck to you :)
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat meals or cheat days. I eat what I want, when I want it but in moderation. I make sure what I'm eating fits into my daily calories, I log it and I move on with things. For me, being able to have what I want, when I want it is far better than having to wait for a specific day and then blowing THAT days calories to pieces. I just make sure I can accommodate something into my daily calories and enjoy! Life is too short to go without the things you truly love. Eating one donut is okay, eating the entire dozen is NOT.

Moderation is KEY!
  • Amairee
    Amairee Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I prefer cheat items throughout the week/month myself, but either way you need to indulge every once in a while. Healthy eating is all about shifting your focus from food as pure enjoyment to food as fuel, but that shouldn't mean denying ourselves things we love (so long as they are kept in moderation). :)
  • SPbyTammy
    Options
    yes, yes, yes, I feel if you do not cheat you are going to give into all those temptations that you feel you are missing. I have one cheat day a week. I totally look forward to that day every week. It makes the rest of the week so worth it. Good luck in your journey.
  • FitForever298
    Options
    I use to be one those people who would deprive myself all week and allow myself a cheat day a week where I eat ridiculously unhealthy. I've recently discovered that if you allow yourself a little of whatever you want once a day, or a couple times a week even, you don't crave it as much. If you don't deprive yourself of anything and eat only in moderation, you become less stressed and also eat less. That is just my experience.
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I prefer to have a cheat meal every now and then.

It may be a big lunch with a glass of wine (like last Saturday) or an evening meal at a restaurant.

I try to work out beforehand, I also make sure my other two meals are light and supper healthy! I also make sure I get back on plan the next day!
  • smketchum
    smketchum Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I always give myself a cheat meal, but not an entire day. Tonight is my cheat meal and I am looking forward to it :). We will usually go out to eat as a family and on that one meal I don't have to pay attention to calories and I am usually full well before I finish but having the freedom is very important to help me stay on track the rest of the week. I've been on MFP since January and that cheat meal has not hindered my progress at all, so I am all for it!
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I dont cheat.....cheating implies to me that I am on strict regimine and can only enjoy myself if I break the rules....everything in moderation...if I want something I have it....I take it from somewhere else or I exercise more.... but never do I cheat....dont like the term...at all
  • cherubcrnp
    cherubcrnp Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I don't allow myself any cheat days. I know that my weakness is sweets...once I have one, I know that I will somehow justify another one and another one. I solve my sweet craves in other ways...fruit, protein milkshakes, Greek yogurt, protein bars.....these I can control. Everyone has to find what is right for them, but I know that I can't have a cheat day or meal.

Pam aka Cherubcrnp
  • sullivan1011
    sullivan1011 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I use cheat days as a part of my reward system. Ounce Ive gottet to a goal I will allow myself certain things. In general though I try to stay on an even keil and not go over board. Its really upto you and what you can handle. My first week to a month I was really strict.
  • liberaltendencies
    liberaltendencies Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I try to think of MFP as a complete lifestyle change. I know that sounds cliche, but I try not to deprive myself and some days are better than others. If I want pizza, I have one slice instead of five, like I used to. It's all about moderation for me.
  • onevision
    Options
    Cheat days for me are good for 2 reasons:-
    1. It let's me put in to the future that which I shouldn't eat for the other 6 days. Without a cheat day I'm more likely to give in to temptation and lose focus
    2. If you are working all week on a calorie defecit, your metabolism will reduce (habituate) to compensate. A cheat day helps keep your metabolism at the higher rate, so some say it's essential.

So in my opinion, cheat days are good for mind, body and soul!
  • portexploit
    portexploit Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I wrote a topic on this, well here it is below...

I feel that one the biggest causes of failure on a "eating plan" is because deprivation gets to us, we're on a low calorie diet which can make us hungry at times. Sometimes we reach for that food that we don't want to eat that is so tempting. Then we feel unsuccessful with our diet, we feel we have no self control. This can lead to frustration, and even to the point an class="strong">ofan> just giving up on eating better for yourself.

I am a very strong believer in stress and recovery. I feel that everything in our world works on this principal, our heart beat contracts, then it relaxes, we eat(recovery) then we use that energy(stress), we sleep, we awaken, life, death. There is nothing constant, if it is... then it's not alive. How do we get stronger, emotionally, and physically? Stress and recovery. When something is stressed to much, it will give. How long can you go with out food, sleep, high intense exercise non stop... it just won't happen. All these are forms of stress.

You know what a reduce caloric diet is? It's stress on the body. Everything I have mentioned is about recovering energy, and expending energy. We need cycles of stress and cycles of recovery. So how do you recover from a low calorie diet, you eat those foods you want, maybe one day a week, free of guilt.

I don't know any other way to say it but it "replenishes the soul" you kill that desire for it... the next day you go back to your normal eating plan with no urges anymore. One of my friends from this site, made a book about a similar eating plan. He was over weight, and now he's ripped, 6 pack and all. Some of the best body building diet's are based around this principal, so is zigzagging your calories.

The better you get at it, the longer you can go with out this "free day." Keep in mind, this doesn't mean be a glutton. Eat what you want, but eat at your "maintenance calories" not your "restricted calories." A persons's metabolism slows down within 72hrs of a reduce caloric diet. This "free day" will speed your metabolism back up.

You know what happens when you go on a low caloric diet for a long time? You get impaired thyroid functions which will result in a slower metabolism. This free day would offset that effect. Maybe some of you have heard of leptin, leptin keeps track an of how much you ate, and how fat you are. Once you start to reduce calories, leptin goes down, pretty much telling you to eat. From my understanding leptin is linked to hunger, to insulin, to glucagon, to pretty much every biochemical that regulates your weight. It's job is to protect you and make sure you weigh the same. Once leptin is down, the urges get stronger, and the harder it is to stick to your diet, you know how to increase leptin? just eat those foods you want... It will increase, with out putting on bodyfat. It "thinks" you gained some weight because you're eating more, and it will be satisfied and not bug you for a little while. Some people just eat completely freely on this "cheat day" they go over their caloric limit big time, and still get good results. So if you're interested in this, experiment and see what works best for you.
  • Sj20fame
    Sj20fame Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I was wondering everyones opinion is on cheat days! I have, once again, started this journey of healthy eating and to lose the extra weight I gained due to an injury! Not sure if cheat days are really all that okay or not?!?!? Thanks!!!

I tried the cheat days, but realized it was hard to get back on the waggon the following days, so I no longer to cheat days, I just do cheat food items, so like every once in a while I'll have a little bit of this, or a little bit of that, but I no longer to the whole cheat eating on one single day, it messes up the routine! I'm sure it's different for everyone..
  • KasandraKristine
    KasandraKristine Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Personally I believe this journey is a life style change so why only have a cheat day? If you want a cupcake have a cupcake any day you want and balance it out with a little less of something else that day or an extra workout. No one wants to spend the rest of their life only allowing themself to have what they want one day a week. I'd rather eat what I want (in the proper portions) and enjoy it when I want it.