Goodbye Stretching

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Stretching makes your body toned so you look good and everything is in the right place and not sagging. For me its that extra secret exercise to make the guys turn heads and look me over. Think about it
    If that were the case then why exercise?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    OMG Seriously, now we've got studies suggesting that stretching isn't necessary?!?!?!? Ridiculous. Sure you don't *need* flexibility to run, however if you want to avoid injury, muscle flexibility is a HUGE factor. I don't need a scientific study to tell me that when I added specific hamstring stretches to my routine, the shin splints i had dealt with for years were reduced and ultimately are now no longer a problem.

So to complete your activity, sure you may not need to stretch but it is proven that stretching improves muscle imbalances that ultimately lead to chronic and sometimes even acute injuries.
    It states it's not needed to do for warm ups and before physical activity because it doesn't prevent injuries DURING the activity.
    This is researched to be true. But like most believe, having stretching in your own physical fitness program should be mandatory because you do need to keep flexibility.
  • kel7298
    kel7298 Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options
    I think this just about covers it...

Warm Up

Muscle stiffness is thought to be directly related to muscle injury and therefore the warm up should be aimed at reducing muscle stiffness.

Warming up should at least consist of the following:

5 to 10 minutes jogging - to increase body temperature
    10 to 15 minutes dynamic stretching exercises - reduce muscle stiffness

Dynamic stretches are more appropriate to the warm up as they help reduce muscle stiffness. Dynamic stretching (isotonic or isokinetic contractions) consists of controlled leg and arm swings that take you gently to the limits of your range of motion.

Static stretching exercises do not reduce muscle stiffness.

Performance may be improved, as an appropriate warm up will result in an:

Increased speed of contraction and relaxation of warmed muscles
    Dynamic exercises reduce muscle stiffness
    Greater economy of movement because of lowered viscous resistance within warmed muscles
    Facilitated oxygen utilization by warmed muscles because haemoglobin releases oxygen more readily at higher muscle temperatures
    Facilitated nerve transmission and muscle metabolism at higher temperatures; a specific warm up can facilitate motor unit recruitment required in subsequent all out activity
    Increased blood flow through active tissues as local vascular beds dilate, increasing metabolism and muscle temperatures
    Allows the heart rate get to a workable rate for beginning exercise
    Mentally focused on the training or competition

Cool Down

Cooling down should consist of the following:

5 to 10 minutes jogging/walking - decrease body temperature and remove waste products from the working muscles
    5 to 10 minutes static stretching exercises

Static stretches are more appropriate to the cool down as they help muscles to relax, realign muscle fibres and re-establish their normal range of movement.

Static stretching (isometric contractions) involves gradually easing into the stretch position and holding the position. The amount of time a static stretch is held depends on your objectives. If it is part of your cool down then stretches should be held for 10 seconds, if it is to improve your range of mobility then hold the stretch for 30 seconds.

What are the benefits of a cool down?

An appropriate cool down will:

aid in the dissipation of waste products - including lactic acid
    reduce the potential for DOMS
    reduce the chances of dizziness or fainting caused by the pooling of venous blood at the extremities
    reduce the level of adrenaline in the blood
    allows the heart rate to return to its resting rate
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    if you dont stretch out after exercise you will end up with bulky muscles (which most women wont want)
    if you want to be a body builder with big muscles then dont bother
    you dont need to stretch much during your warm up, but i would advise doing some stretches at the end - you only need to hold each stretch for about 8-10 seconds to maintain flexability - but if you want to develop flexability and get more bendy you need to hold the stretch for at least 30secs if not one minute.
    i love stretching, i love being flexable - it helps with everyday activities and it DOES help to prevent injury
    everyone should stretch everyday to keep supple - you will notice the difference in old age if you do stretch now - no one wnats to seize up.
    stretching and elongating the muscles makes you look leaner and slimmer, and imporves posture and the ease of performing everyday activities
    you dont have to stretch for long - but i would advise doing it after exercise to help release the toxins from the muscle fibres that build up during exercise (ie lactic acid)
    this is my opionion and knowledge from working in medicine and fitness
    done and out :)

(oh and if you do a full stretching regime to get mor ebendy it is one hell of a workout!)

I hate to sound mean, but there is a lot of misinformation here. Stretching cannot reduce the "bulk" of a muscle, nor can it increase the length of a muscle (pilates propaganda).

Stretches need to be held a lot longer than 8-10 seconds to be effective (due to the effect of muscle spindles and Golgi tendon organs).

"Toxins" do not "build up" in muscle as a result of exercise, nor does lactic acid. Lactic acid is not a "toxin", it is not a cause of soreness and it likely is not even directly involved with muscle fatigue.

That being said, yes, stretching can help with posture, flexibility and lack of flexibility can be debilitating as one gets older.
  • Johnsweaver
    Johnsweaver Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I love the amount of opinions stated as fact and complete misinformation here.

Please listen to ninerbuff. He's the one making sense.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    OMG Seriously, now we've got studies suggesting that stretching isn't necessary?!?!?!? Ridiculous. Sure you don't *need* flexibility to run, however if you want to avoid injury, muscle flexibility is a HUGE factor. I don't need a scientific study to tell me that when I added specific hamstring stretches to my routine, the shin splints i had dealt with for years were reduced and ultimately are now no longer a problem.

So to complete your activity, sure you may not need to stretch but it is proven that stretching improves muscle imbalances that ultimately lead to chronic and sometimes even acute injuries.

The research does NOT "suggest" that "stretching isn't necessary".

The studies in this area have been clear about the scope of the research (and unequivocal in the results). In a normal recreational population, STATIC STRETCHING BEFORE EXERCISE has been shown to have no effect on either performance or injury rates. There has been some indication that aggressive static stretching of a resting muscle might actually increase the risk of an injury.

What has been "suggested" is that, pre exercise, a DYNAMIC warmup is more effective than static stretching.

Static stretching can have benefits--it is just recommended that static stretching be performed AFTER exercise, when the muscles are warmed up.

Again, these studies are looking at a healthy population. Someone who has an injury or some other medical condition (muscle imbalance, flexibility imbalance, etc) would need a routine that is specific to their issue. The research does not include these types of individuals.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    oh no, another person succumbing to media garbage.

Stretching is good. Stop reading new york times "articles" and go read a fitness peer reviewed journal

Actually, a lot of these are starting to say the same thing as was in the article.

I'm a marathon runner. I barely stretch.

Not all of us need to.

If you like to, great. But, for some of us, it's just not needed before other exercise. And sometimes, not even afterward.
  • bunchesonothing
    Options
    if you dont stretch out after exercise you will end up with bulky muscles (which most women wont want)

Not true.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options

Not true.

*sigh* Honestly. I wish women would realize that we do not have the key component needed for our muscles to "bulk up". Testosterone. THAT is why men "bulk up" - women have too much estrogen flowing through their systems to "bulk up". So, unless you are a body builder and going through all the stuff they go through to build muscle (and it is intense and usually involves some supplements too) - YOU HAVE NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT!

So. Lift weights. Stretch or don't.

But, for heaven's sake - you aren't going to look like Arnold.
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Very important thats all I can say!!!!
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    There is a lot of misconception being thrown around here.

First, stretching before exercising does not prevent injury from that exercise session and can, in fact, hinder exercise performance. For example; heavy, below parallel squats require tension in your hamstring to provide a “bounce” out of the lower position. Without this bounce, you would not be able to lift as much weight, and therefore would not get as strong.

Warm-ups, on the other hand should be performed pre-exercise and do lessen your chances of injury. Using the same squat example as above; if you were to perform several lighter sets of squats and build up to your work weight, that would be a sufficient warm-up for squats. Repeat for your other exercises.

Stretching, however, is good for flexibility and is beneficial to perform after your exercising. Increased flexibility CAN help prevent injuries both in everyday activities and in exercise.

Strength and flexibility are not opposites. You can be strong and flexible just the same as you can be weak and inflexible. The so called, “muscle heads” that can’t straighten their arms are like that because they train like idiots, not because they are strong. Much of the time these individuals will train with sub-par movements and use only a fraction of the necessary range or motion in the movement, over a period of time, this can lead to inflexibility.

Lastly, stretching does not tone, sculpt, or lengthen your muscles. Your muscle are attached to your bones via tendons, so unless you are also lengthening your bones, you are not lengthening your muscles.

How I take advantage of all of this:

If my squat work weight is 275lbs I will do the following and then repeat this method for my other lifts.
    2x8 of 45lbs (just the bar)
    1x5 of 140lbs
    1x5 of 175lbs
    1x5 of 210lbs
    1x5 of 245lbs
    1x5 of 275lbs

I will also perform all of these squats at or below parallel to take advantage of the benefits of exercising the full range of motion and increasing my flexibility.

For jogging on a treadmill, I do something like the following
    2min @ 3.0mph
    2min @ 3.5mph
    1min @ 4.0mph
    10min @6.0mph

For time reason, I actually do not stretch directly after my workout, although I do stretch my full body nightly before bed starting with my calves and working up to my neck.
  • Myobi
    Myobi Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I always do dynamic stretching before a workout as a warm-up and then static stretching as a cool-down. My body is very inflexible, and I've noticed a huge difference in muscle tightness and flexibility since adding the static stretching. Static stretching might not help before exercise, but it sure helps me afterwards.
  • bunchesonothing
    Options

I think it can help for some. I'm rarely injured and rarely stretch though. I'm also not seriously inflexible despite my lack of stretching.

My understanding is that strengthening all muscle groups evenly improves muscle imbalances, not stretching.
  • ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    You know those weight lifters who walk with their arms sticking out weirdly? The ones who can bench press 500 lbs. but can't pick up something they dropped on the ground? Ya, they don't stretch.

this cracked me up.. the image! ahhh.
  • ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    Yea I don't know. I really don't stretch that often and I am rather flexible. hummm.
  • Myobi
    Myobi Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Yea I don't know. I really don't stretch that often and I am rather flexible. hummm.

I think it's like anything else in the world. For any given activity, some people will have to work harder in order to achieve the same goal. My brother doesn't stretch at ALL, but he can wrap his leg around his head like a contortionist. Meanwhile, if I keep my legs straight with a soft knee, I can barely touch the ground with my fingertips.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options

The younger you are, in general the more flexible you are (seen any kids, lately?--betcha can't do that)!

Anyway, big picture is the key folks, you may be 25 now, but in 25 more years . . . you won't be. If you DON'T move it, you lose it.

Think of this exaggerated example: have you seen people with poor posture (I don't mean osteoporosis) -- exaggeration: Shaggy from Scooby Doo? Head juts forward, shoulders slumped, concave chest . . . did you know that a person whose habit it is to hold their body in such a way has muscles which have been "trained", so to speak, into that position. When they attempt to sit up or stand up straight they will likely find discomfort in attempting to hold an upright position for even a relatively short period of time. Why? because their muscles are TIGHT.

Less exaggeration: have you tried to do a backbend recently? maybe not. how about lying down and leaning backward over an exercise ball to touch the floor behind you? feel the burn in your abs? release of tension in your back? that is a GOOD thing -- an extension of the normal position of the abs and back, thus increasing flexibility -- EASE OF MOVEMENT.

Obvioiusly we are all here to improve fitness. Flexibility is an essential part of fitness for LIFE. Not just for now. Just as your way of eating must be a lifestyle change in order to last for the rest of your life, so must your fitness regime include flexibility training to maximize and improve your ease of movement over time. One of the hardest things to imagine when you are young is NOT being young. But sadly, it will happen, even to you :)

I choose to be the 78-year old lady you will NOT describe as "little and old". I will not throw out my back trying to pick up my reading glasses from the floor. I WILL BEND! I will be surfing, cycling, SUPing and dancing. And I will leave those 25-year-olds in the dust.

blessings.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Look hard enough, and you'll always find something on the internet to back up whatever theory you got.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    You ever see a lion stretch before he takes down a gazelle?
    -Zombieland
  • Rainbow011
    Rainbow011 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Personally, I've never researched the subject of the benefits of stretching but I can say that I don't do any static stretching.

I usually start off with a walk for 15 mins to warm up. I find this really helps to warm up before jogging/running.