Cardio and Lift issues/question help

Options
Hello everyone, I am in the process of losing weight (need to lose 7 kilos). I have my diet on track. I am training on Kick Boxing 5 years now, the thing is I stopped for a year and a gained weight as all athletes -usually- do, now the question is, I know I have to lift weights too ( never had to lift at the past cause I was thin and had no fat from kickboxing ) and it's not my favourite thing, I am not a fan of it but I will do it I promise :D
Now, the thing is, I train 5 days a week for 2,5 hours kickboxing in the afternoon(almost night). Should I stop 2 days kickboxing and do lifting? or should I add lifting in the morning and keep up the 5 days kickboxing?
Thank you for your time. cHeeRs!! :)

Replies

• IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    You don’t HAVE to lift weights. Do you do any body weight exercises at your kickboxing class?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Villypierr wrote: »
    Hello everyone, I am in the process of losing weight (need to lose 7 kilos). I have my diet on track. I am training on Kick Boxing 5 years now, the thing is I stopped for a year and a gained weight as all athletes -usually- do, now the question is, I know I have to lift weights too ( never had to lift at the past cause I was thin and had no fat from kickboxing ) and it's not my favourite thing, I am not a fan of it but I will do it I promise :D
    Now, the thing is, I train 5 days a week for 2,5 hours kickboxing in the afternoon(almost night). Should I stop 2 days kickboxing and do lifting? or should I add lifting in the morning and keep up the 5 days kickboxing?
    Thank you for your time. cHeeRs!! :)

I'm a proponent of lifting, but you don't "have" to lift weights. I dabbled in martial arts a bit, and there was always body weight stuff.
  • Villypierr
    Villypierr Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Usually no. We have a half hour break where I usually do squats and leg exercises. Practice is full cardio at kickboxing... Why do people say that you need to lift to lose faster weight then?
  • Villypierr
    Options
    ok, you are all very helpful... so... it's a myth that lifting helps your metabolism go faster?
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    ok, you are all very helpful... so... it's a myth that lifting helps your metabolism go faster?

No, its not a myth, muscle does help increase your metabolism, but so does 2.5 hours of kickboxing 5x a week. I agree with the others its not necessary and if you don't like it, don't do it. Your feelings about lifting is how I feel about doing cardio.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options

Strength training can allow you to build muscle and can increase your resting metabolic rate slightly. However, strength training in a calorie deficit does not build much muscle, your primary focus for strength training during weight loss is to minimize muscle loss while you lose weight.

If you wish to build muscle after weight loss you can choose recomp or bulk/cut cycles.
  • Villypierr
    Options
    Ok guys, So if I understood correctly from your posts which are very helpful, with simple words: when I lose the weight I need (which can happen only with the kickboxing and no weights ) then If I want to, I will start do lifting so I can make changes in the appearance of the muscle?
    Sorry I don't know staff like that, I only hit the bag :smiley:
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Ok guys, So if I understood correctly from your posts which are very helpful, with simple words: when I lose the weight I need (which can happen only with the kickboxing and no weights ) then If I want to, I will start do lifting so I can make changes in the appearance of the muscle?

I think you've got it. :+1:

Your calorie deficit is how you lose fat. Your kickboxing helps you get/stay fit and allows you to burn calories which aides in your weight loss. Your kickboxing is going to be working plenty of your muscles.

Strength train for strength goals, aesthetic goals, etc. and its good for over all health.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    you never have to lift unless you want to. :smile:
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options

Yes, but it would be beneficial to you in the long run to maintain your current muscle. Bulking and gaining muscle is a much slower and more difficult task than losing fat is.
  • Villypierr
    Options
    I think I can built muscle too cause I do grappling an BJJ once a week... Its resistance exercise and you lift physically lots of weight,yours and your partner's...
  • Semele0
    Semele0 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    If you don't like lifting, you don't need it ever. If you won't be satisfied with the apparence of you body once you lose the weight, starting doing some strenght training will help you build muscle and that will give you a toned look, but I think in kickboxing you will develop muscle, even if you don't focus on it only. If you had a body that you liked with kickboxing only before, then probably it will happen again...
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    @AnvilHead I think your three woo'ers followed you over here.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    If you're serious about the kickboxing(and it seems you are) When you start lifting you'll want programming that will support your training.

@cqbkaju is probably the best person to advise on that subject.
  • Villypierr
    Options
    If you're serious about the kickboxing(and it seems you are) When you start lifting you'll want programming that will support your training.

@cqbkaju is probably the best person to advise on that subject.

I was serious few years ago, (and those years never had to do lift after 5 hour practice) now i just train for a hobby.