Unsolicited advice at the gym

Options

Replies

• bossvt
    bossvt Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    There's an ethical side to this as well. It's not what they know, It's what they do with it.
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    I would say no because you don't know anything about their training goals or why they're doing things in a certain way. I often might do things that look odd at the gym but it's because I'm targetting particular muscles whilst sometimes having to adapt to the equipment that I have (if you load up the leg curl machine to more than your bodyweight it works great as a bench for back extensions)
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I don't want anyone to talk to me at the gym. I'm doing my own thing, minding my own business and I expect others to mind theirs. If I need help I always ask a trainer working at the gym.
  • VooDooKittenandCo
    VooDooKittenandCo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Momepro wrote: »
    The only times I really ever give unsolicited advice at the gym is when a person looks really lost and confused. And then I ask first, "Excuse me, would you like a little help, or are you just thinking about something else?" Generally they laugh and say "yes please", or "no thanks, just mentally cursing my boss, haha."

Geez I WISH you were at my gym. I'm still new and sometimes just get confused and awkward and feel stupid lol.
  • Just_Jon
    Just_Jon Posts: 108 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I wish everyone would just settle the *kitten* down when it comes to gym advice. Give it, or don't. Accept it or don't. Chances are, if I see you in the gym and we start talking form, programming, or nutrition, there is a good bet I am going to know way more than you do. Do I really care if you accept the advice I give? No, go ruin yourself. Have at it. Be my guest.

Sometimes its nice to be friendly in the gym and talk shop, which is why I am happy I either train at home, or at a facility for other powerlifters where we know that the free exchange of information (coaching each other up) can only make us stronger.

What does "kitten" mean in this discussion?

Never mind, I just figured it out. MFP's profanity filter.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Not all lifters have good advice, same as not all trainers know what they are doing, same as advice from people on here. If you're not smart enough to determine what is good advice and what isn't then what good is the advice. Do what you want, if it makes you feel good to offer advice. Doesn't mean they'll listen and may be offended. You know how people are today.
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't offer unsolicited advice. It would make most people feel more foolish I think. Generally speaking from what I see most gym goers I see are a lot more switched on and knowledgeable than when I started training in the 90s.

That said there are always some people you just wish you could "help".

There's a guy I see every morning. This is his complete routine everyday at 5am:

1. He swings two dumbells like he's a town crier all body movement almost no biceps,
    2. Next he holds two dumbbells in front of his chin and does this weird movement where he contracts his shoulders so they end up by his ears,
    3. He climbs into the inverted sit-up station and just moves his head up and down (no crunch at all)
    4. He climbs on a stationary bike and reads a newspaper while slow turning his legs.

I've no idea what his goals are or his background is but for all his dedication getting his *kitten* out of bed every morning I wish he'd do himself a favour!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options
    I give out advice all the time. But then again, it's my profession and helps to get more clientele.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't offer unsolicited advice. It would make most people feel more foolish I think. Generally speaking from what I see most gym goers I see are a lot more switched on and knowledgeable than when I started training in the 90s.

There's a guy I see every morning. This is his complete routine everyday at 5am:

1. He swings two dumbells like he's a town crier all body movement almost no biceps,
    2. Next he holds two dumbbells in front of his chin and does this weird movement where he contracts his shoulders so they end up by his ears,
    3. He climbs into the inverted sit-up station and just moves his head up and down (no crunch at all)
    4. He climbs on a stationary bike and reads a newspaper while slow turning his legs.

I've no idea what his goals are or his background is but for all his dedication getting his *kitten* out of bed every morning I wish he'd do himself a favour!

You just described 90% of the patrons at my gym. ;)
  • flowerhorsey
    flowerhorsey Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I almost gave out unsolicited advice last night. But I remembered this thread and stopped myself!!
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    I gave unsolicited advice recently. A guy was squatting next to me and was looking at his feet during the movement. Almost fell over. I mentioned that he might be a little more stable if he tried looking straight instead of down. He tried it and thanked me.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options

I like the guy who does one arm bent over rows like someone trying to start a lawnmower.
  • farsteve
    farsteve Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I think we could start a whole thread on "unusual" techniques and exercises we see in the gym.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    There is a poor girl at my gym that I'm so tempted to talk to. But she's usually with a dude and from what I've overheard I think she's paying him to "train" her. He's not a trainer. She was on the elliptical with one of those plastic suits designed to make you sweat and miserable the other day. Then, he had her row one day and I've never seen worse form in my life. She was just kind of tugging the handle up to her face and mini bending her knees. It's obvious she needs help and has turned to the wrong person. But I don't want to stick my nose in the middle of it either.
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I wouldn't offer advice unless people ask; learning from your own mistakes is a far better lesson and more well received than unsolicited advise, unless they are putting their lives at risk.

Sadly, in an increasingly litigious society I'd be wary of offering advice unless you are qualified AND have insurance in place. I realise that that goes against what I said above but it is something to bear in mind.
  • elskeleton
    elskeleton Posts: 72 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I try not to give unsolicited advice unless I've gotten to know them enough to get a grasp on what they really need and can work on.
  • jiggyj9
    jiggyj9 Posts: 90 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    does it count as advice when i saw a girl repeatedly struggling to find out how to lift the bench so i showed her how lol. She kept spinning the knob off vs pulling the knob :D poor girl would then sit down and do weird thigns with the bench to try and play it off lol she looked so uncomfortable

This does not count. I’ve always appreciated it when someone would come help me out when I couldn’t figure out how to adjust something.

Other than that, I prefer to be unsolicited and I treat people the same! I’ll just think it to myself (unless someone is clearly going to injure themselves, and then I would get a trainer or something).
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    It was so hard to keep my mouth shut today. There were a couple of guys lifting together this morning(you could tell they both were pretty new). One was deadlifting and was breaking at his knees first going down that so that his knees were in the bar path and he had to make this B shape to get the bar down. You guys have trained me well. I said NUTHIN! :tongue:
  • ImChipper
    ImChipper Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    If I want advice, I'll ask the people who work there for advice. If they give me advice that is substandard, or seems off, I also go to forums, Google, watch Youtube videos. I don't go to the gym to be bothered, and I don't like bothering other people. I like to help by example. Like if I see a girl struggling to keep up in our HIIT class, I don't go over and point it out, I'll maybe flash her a friendly smile and modify the workout so she can see there are other ways to do it.