Work stress and binging

Options
It's a busy and stressful time at work. I work at a school as a teaching assistant. It's an uncertain time because the TAs don't know if our jobs are safe next year, it all depends on funding/ pupil need. It's also become busier recently with an extra intake of children. I feel overwhelmed by the amount of work I've got at the moment and my sleep has been effected.

Today I caved and have eaten lots of chocolate biscuits... help!

I'm very close to maintenance and have my calories set to lose 0.5 a week. I've also been having a balance and include a small amount of chocolate each day. So I don't feel deprived. I think it was all emotional / stress eating.

I'm so close to goal (about 5 pounds to go) and don't want to mess it up.

Any advice much appreciated :)

Replies

• mitchkelly2446
    mitchkelly2446 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    No advice. I have the same problem. Good luck!
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    Try to remember how you're feeling right now before you mindlessly reach for something to eat. Whatever the food is won't alleviate your stress. In fact, it makes it worse because now you're stressed about your diet / nutrition in addition to work stuff.

Easier said than done, I know, but give it a try.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    It's a busy and stressful time at work. I work at a school as a teaching assistant. It's an uncertain time because the TAs don't know if our jobs are safe next year, it all depends on funding/ pupil need. It's also become busier recently with an extra intake of children. I feel overwhelmed by the amount of work I've got at the moment and my sleep has been effected.

Today I caved and have eaten lots of chocolate biscuits... help!

I'm very close to maintenance and have my calories set to lose 0.5 a week. I've also been having a balance and include a small amount of chocolate each day. So I don't feel deprived. I think it was all emotional / stress eating.

I'm so close to goal (about 5 pounds to go) and don't want to mess it up.

Any advice much appreciated :)

yesterday I fell off the deep end and ate 4 pieces of cake...it must have been a full moon. I balanced it would w second half of day...lesson learned FOR NOW :#

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I try to remind myself that there are better ways to deal with stress. Go for a walk. Meditate. Stretch...
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    ok it happened. it's ok. one bad day will not hurt. a little chocolate so long as it fits your calorie allotment is
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    The best advice I have is not to keep things around that are binge triggers. Even avoid that aisle in the store so you won't buy.
  • mitchkelly2446
    Options
    As a slight aside, how do you go for a walk, meditate or stretch in the middle of work?
  • concordancia
    Options
    As a slight aside, how do you go for a walk, meditate or stretch in the middle of work?

That totally depends on your job. As a professor, it was easy to do any of those any time that I was thinking of eating out of stress. ie, it wasn't like I was going to scarf down a candy bar while teaching a class, and if I wasn't with students I could do anything I wanted. When I worked in daycare, I couldn't scarf down a bunch of biscuits while the toddlers got one each, could I? I engaged in the stress eating once I left work or on my breaks. Those careers seem closest to what the OP was describing.

As a matter of fact, I can't think of many jobs where you can have a donut in your hand but not stop, close your eyes and count to 10. Even an air traffic controller has to have their hands free, don't they? Now, the discipline to do those other things instead of just reaching for the sugar is a whole different ball game. Mindless is generally easier than mindfulness. I did say "try" in my original post.
  • mitchkelly2446
    Options
    I think there's a perception (possibly correct) that I can be sat in my office, eating a pie and still be looking at data, writing an email etc, and obviously be working. However, if I'm meditating, doing a series of stretches or going for a walk there's no pretence of me doing anything constructive, work-related or fee-earning. Which doesn't play well.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    How about a big coffee with a dusting of cocoa?
  • concordancia
    Options
    I think there's a perception (possibly correct) that I can be sat in my office, eating a pie and still be looking at data, writing an email etc, and obviously be working. However, if I'm meditating, doing a series of stretches or going for a walk there's no pretence of me doing anything constructive, work-related or fee-earning. Which doesn't play well.

Again, just depends on your career. My husband has gotten stepped on because he was laying on the floor in his cubicle trying to relax and a colleague walked in looking for him. He still gets top notch evaluations because his company is results driven, not image driven and certainly not billable hours driven.
  • itsgood
    itsgood Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Plan meals and bring your food with you...you have control over what you prepare!
    Plan a snack for your trip home so you don't walk in the door ready to eat everything in sight!
    Remember that the stress will still be there after the binge...and you won't feel any better.
    Track your eating...and track what you don't eat!!! Give yourself some credit, and look back at your choices when you're feeling tempted. You'll be proud of yourself!
    I have an app on my phone for breathing...you focus on the visual, inhale-hold-exhale, for several minutes. (There are other options...guided meditation, etc, though I don't do that) It's quite effective! There are lots of free ones.

Oh, and by the way, I am a teacher! You aren't kidding this is a stressful time of year. Hang in there and good luck with staffing for next year...hope you land on your feet!
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Stressful job here as well. Recently I've needed chocolate more than once too, so I bought some really dark chocolate, and limit myself to two squares a day. And make space in my calories and log it. If I didn't need it, then yay, I can eat a yogurt after dinner, or enjoy some extra fruit.

You messed up once, on one day. You haven't damaged anything in the longer run. Good luck.
  • Pastaprincess1978
    Pastaprincess1978 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem re: work stress. I love the comment about the coffee with a dusting of cocoa - one of my go-tos for sure! I need to tone down the milk though. Perhaps skim.

Drink more water - binge drink water if you can. (I know it's not that easy, but try filling your stomach with water before you eat anything).
  • jasmine_belle
    jasmine_belle Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your replies. It's a new day today, I just need to make sure I don't repeat what I did yesterday! I'm going to take a big bottle of water and keep filling it up.