Running as a Tourist

Options
MegaMooseEsq
MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
I'm going to be headed out of town for a few days and am really excited about the idea of running in a new place. I don't have any real goals here other than liking the idea of running in a new place. Any tips? I'll be in Portland and Vancouver so I'm not too worried about weather or crime, but I've never run anywhere that wasn't within 3 miles of my house before so I'm a titch nervous. Also the trip lasts five days so I guess I'll have to do laundry or carry around a lot of stinky running things? Thanks all - this community is the best!

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Look up ideal running spots online.

Put the stinky running things in ziplocs with dryer sheets or baking soda sachets. The ziplocs will keep them from stinking up the other things, the other stuff will keep them from overwhelming you when you open up the ziplocs.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,982 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I'm going to be headed out of town for a few days and am really excited about the idea of running in a new place. I don't have any real goals here other than liking the idea of running in a new place. Any tips? I'll be in Portland and Vancouver so I'm not too worried about weather or crime, but I've never run anywhere that wasn't within 3 miles of my house before so I'm a titch nervous. Also the trip lasts five days so I guess I'll have to do laundry or carry around a lot of stinky running things? Thanks all - this community is the best!

Pack a plastic baggie or two to put your stinky clothes in ;)

Other than that, enjoy. Perhaps google-map around where you will be staying and see if there are some cool places to go (for example, in Portland, along the river is pretty nice, and there's some neat stuff to see over there).

I'm huge on exploring - if the area seems a little sketchy, just stick to daylight hours, but I've enjoyed little explorations in most places I've been. For example, in Houston last year I had a few hours to kill and wandered over by the bayou/river area and walked along there for quite a ways actually. Let me see some stuff I otherwise wouldn't have!

In Italy, my sister and I wandered all over the place - we were mostly off the beaten path and out of the bigger cities, so crime wasn't the concern it was in the bigger towns.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,231 Member
    Options
    I love running as a tourist. I went on a trip to AZ in March and went for a sunrise run around the Grand Canyon-which was simply stunning, ran down Rt 66-which was fun, and lots of other places.

I just bring my running “stuff” and go. I just pack enough to balance how much stinky I can tolerate with how much luggage I want to bring and how long I’m going to be gone. My only tip is that I often end up wearing my running shoes fly because they take up a lot of luggage space and my regular shoes don’t.

Have fun!
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,231 Member
    Options

Put the stinky running things in ziplocs with dryer sheets or baking soda sachets. The ziplocs will keep them from stinking up the other things, the other stuff will keep them from overwhelming you when you open up the ziplocs.

This is a great idea. I use the ziploc travel vacuum bags and keep all the stinky stuff in one, but never thought to use dryer sheets or baking soda. My last trip was 2 weeks. That would have helped a lot lol.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    Options
    I love running as a tourist. I went on a trip to AZ in March and went for a sunrise run around the Grand Canyon-which was simply stunning, ran down Rt 66-which was fun, and lots of other places.

I just bring my running “stuff” and go. I just pack enough to balance how much stinky I can tolerate with how much luggage I want to bring and how long I’m going to be gone. My only tip is that I often end up wearing my running shoes fly because they take up a lot of luggage space and my regular shoes don’t.

Have fun!

Honestly, it probably wouldn't have occurred to me to wear my running shoes on the plane - I'm really particular about only wearing them when I run, but this seems like the right time to make an exception.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    edited May 2018
    Options

This is a great idea. I use the ziploc travel vacuum bags and keep all the stinky stuff in one, but never thought to use dryer sheets or baking soda. My last trip was 2 weeks. That would have helped a lot lol.

I love the dryer sheet idea - cheap and easy to travel with! I always bring a bag when I travel for dirty laundry, but I'll make sure to bring an extra couple this time and some dryer sheets.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Ask the concierge or hotel staff for local running spots. Or, try a local sports store and ask the staff there. Chances are, someone at a running shoe store will have some good secret trails or tips for the area.

As for clothes, just do laundry. I hate returning from a trip with dirty clothes. On your last day at each destination, go out for a final run, and then drop off all your dirty clothes at a fluff and fold. You can pick it up clean and folded on your way home.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I carry a small bottle of detergent, then hand wash kit in the shower. Tech kit dries quickly
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I love running in new places, and you get to explore nooks and crannies you'd otherwise miss. Running clothes tend to dry out pretty quickly, so I hand rinse after each run and they're ready to go again the next morning. Have yet to solve the problem of what to do the last day, but stuffing into a ziplock bag and drying at next destination isn't actually so bad...
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I try to run whenever I am some place new.

I take a little pouch of laundry detergent and wash running clothes in the sink/bath tub. Doesn't have to be perfect, just good enough so I can wear them again and they don't contaminate other clothes in my suitcase/whatever. Fortunately, athletic/tech gear dries pretty quickly.

This is the only time I take my phone with me on a run, so if I get lost, miss a turn, or simply want to stay out longer/come back sooner for some unexpected reason, I can route/nav myself back to the hotel.

Otherwise, not much to think about really. You're in unfamiliar territory, so just be a little extra safe (aware of your surroundings, visible to drivers, etc). Do a little planning ahead of time and pick good routes. Strava can help find good/popular routes.
  • kingleahnidas
    kingleahnidas Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    This is all great advice! One other thing I'd mention is that remember if you're out of the country, you probably don't want to be using GPS or music from your phone, unless the music is offline. Same thing if you have a fitness watch that uses your phone's GPS. For me this is a big deal because I usually track my pace on my Fitbit, but I can't do it when running abroad. I have to run "off-book" :). (Though Fitbit will still track your steps/run but without GPS accuracy.)

I do agree that bringing the phone is helpful if you get lost. You could even save yourself the charges by popping into a coffee shop to use their WiFi to map a route home.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    I always run when I travel. It's the best! I don't seem to have a good sense of direction so I really have to plan out my route before I leave or just do an out and back run so I don't get lost (even with this I've still gotten lost - in Barcelona last year!) Look on Strava heatmaps and you can see what the popular running places are where you are going. I don't worry about speed or HR or any of the stuff I normally look at on runs, because I like to stop and take pictures on these touristy runs.

What I found is if it just rinse the clothes out in water in the sink or shower - they will dry overnight and they are fine to use again. I rarely run the day I am flying out because of a unreasonable fear of DVT, but if I do run the same day I am leaving, I do something similar to the ziplock bag suggestion. But since I sweat (a lot!) I've had sports bras ruined with a smell that will never leave unless I rinse them out before putting them in the ziplock bag. I also bought a small laundry kit from amazon with little packages of Woolite and a sink stopper and portable hangers -- that works really well. In fact, you just reminded me I need to order more Woolite!

Have a great time!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Have a peek at mapmyrun for suggested running routes based on your location and desired distance.

I can tell you from personal experience that running in new locations is exhilarating, We traveled over Christmas and I got to run in London, Brussels & Paris (we also stayed in apartments that had a washer so my running gear didn't get too ripe....)

• Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    If you're nervous about the new location, check out the Google maps street view of the area. You might be able to "virtual run" the course before you leave home. I did a bridges run in Cincinnati and wanted to make sure the area was safe-looking, and know where I was going, before I got out there. With Google's street view I saw the whole course ahead of time. Have a great time!
  • allisonlane161
    allisonlane161 Posts: 269 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I do a few out of country trips a year and running is one of the top three things I look forward to. First I look up areas that are recommended for running, and then I check altitude, topography, and weather. Many of the places I go are mountainous (because I like backpacking in the mountains). My latest was running in Ecuador. I was in several different "towns" so I became acquainted with them before I left and knew where I was going to run when I got there. Have fun!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

We look up running spots online as well.
    If you can: bring some powdered oxyclean in a container and wash the gear in the shower with you. then lay out a towel and roll it up really tightly to draw the water out and then hang it. If you can't do that (or it won't dry in time) then yes, ziplock bags.

(sorta like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-_ecTTPfBo ) sorta
  • MegaMooseEsq
    edited May 2018
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

I take a little pouch of laundry detergent and wash running clothes in the sink/bath tub. Doesn't have to be perfect, just good enough so I can wear them again and they don't contaminate other clothes in my suitcase/whatever. Fortunately, athletic/tech gear dries pretty quickly.

This is the only time I take my phone with me on a run, so if I get lost, miss a turn, or simply want to stay out longer/come back sooner for some unexpected reason, I can route/nav myself back to the hotel.

Otherwise, not much to think about really. You're in unfamiliar territory, so just be a little extra safe (aware of your surroundings, visible to drivers, etc). Do a little planning ahead of time and pick good routes. Strava can help find good/popular routes.

That is an excellent point about bringing your phone - I'll pick up one of those belts so I can carry my phone and ID and maybe a little cash. I've never actually run with my phone before because I've always stayed within a couple miles of my house and have a smart watch with GPS and cellular in case of emergencies. Plus I live in a really safe, densely populated area so really have never felt the need to have my phone on me.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

That is an excellent point about bringing your phone - I'll pick up one of those belts so I can carry my phone and ID and maybe a little cash.

A few bucks is never a bad thing to have with you.

FWIW... I bought an otterbox case for my phone for when I run/bike. It gives a little extra protection, but more importantly, makes it easier/more secure to hold in my hand (while running). I put a $5bill in the case and wear my road ID... that's good enough for me. Plus, having my phone in my hand is very convenient for glancing at a map/route/strava/whatever if needed. Belts drive me crazy, but that's me. YMMV.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i've rinsed clothes in the sink in the past
    strava and other running sites have hot spots or maps of others runs if you want to see the popular running zones. or go and look up local running groups and join some of them for a run