I've lost 45 pounds and no one has noticed or commented

Options
2»

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    People can be hesitant to bring up such things so as to avoiding hurting or embarrassing the person. Also, if you lost it super fast, they might think you have some illness that you don't want to talk about.

Or they're just jealous!
  • onematch
    onematch Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    No one said anything to me until I was down more than 50 pounds! I realized that people are afraid of offending you, as other have said. I'm sure people have noticed. You're doing great!!
  • itsgood
    itsgood Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    When I lost weight years ago, it was the same thing. No-one ever said a word until over 40 pounds. I was feeling so frustrated, yet determined not to say anything. Then someone commented, and the flood gates opened! People were uncomfortable bringing it up, but when I responded positively they relaxed. Interestingly, I'm repeating the process. I'm down 29.5 pounds and not a word, though it is clearly obvious. Human nature...funny stuff!
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    itsgood wrote: »
    When I lost weight years ago, it was the same thing. No-one ever said a word until over 40 pounds.

^^Ditto this 6 years ago for me. Never bothered me much though. I was pretty uncomfortable when people commented on my weight loss.

Just today I was at the grocery store. There is a man that works in the dairy/frozen foods department. He was very obese, but has lost a huge amount of weight over the past year. I have debated with myself about commenting on his success for the past few months, and almost congratulated him today, but chickened out at the last moment again.

I guess I have always refrained from commenting on others weight loss for fear of offending. Perhaps I should make the effort as everyone feels differently, and maybe for some, it would make their day!

Congrats to you OP! Well done!
  • bhurley100
    bhurley100 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    myboa wrote: »
    Hi, I have somewhat quickly gone from 200 lbs to 155. not one, and I mean not one person seems to have noticed and if they have no one has commented. what gives?

I don't know if it's appropriate to ask someone if they lost weight or tell them they look like they lost weight.. . Kind of a touchy subject and borderline rude... maybe thats why no one is saying anything.
  • mathdad41
    mathdad41 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I work in a building that is 98% female. As a male there is no way I will comment on a woman's body unless she were to bring up the weight loss first.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    There's definitely some trepidation about asking unless there's positive knowledge that a person isn't dealing with an illness.