My progress has stopped and I don't know why

Options
I've been regularly working out for 4 months now and been maintaining a caloric deficit with relative ease. How ever it seems as though my progress has come too a halt. Despite me being in a caloric deficit of just 2000 calories a day with workout sessions 5 days a week I haven't made any significant progress recently. I was hoping that my abs would start too take form. Any tips?

Replies

• Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify, the progress you're looking for is to lose body fat / weight?
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    As I understand it, it's hard to gain muscle in a calorie deficit but I'm sure someone will explain it better than I can
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    eating 2000 cals or creating a deficit of 2000 cals?
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    eating 2000 cals or creating a deficit of 2000 cals?

I'd hate to see someone trying to create a 2000 cal deficit.

As for OP, drop another 200 cals from your daily calorie intake

Or better still, take a diet break and eat at maintenance for a couple of weeks.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Is the OP a woman or a man first of all? Second, how do you know your progressed has stopped??? How long have you stopped losing weight??? days, weeks, months???
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    What progress?!? So much info left out.

Male or female? Height, weight, age? How much weight have you lost? Over what amount of time? How long has it been since you lost any weight? What is your daily calorie goal?
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    OP in order to make speculations and educated guessed as to the cause or what's going on you need to provide some detail and stats.

Think of it the same way as expecting a mechanic to find the issue if you don't provide any information as to what's going on with your vehicle. Aside from "something's wrong" given some more information I'm sure we can get you sorted out.

• ricka1962
    ricka1962 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    surgeo228 wrote: »
    I've been regularly working out for 4 months now and been maintaining a caloric deficit with relative ease. How ever it seems as though my progress has come too a halt. Despite me being in a caloric deficit of just 2000 calories a day with workout sessions 5 days a week I haven't made any significant progress recently. I was hoping that my abs would start too take form. Any tips?

Sounds like you may have just hit a plateu which can often happen. I've hit plateus when trying to loose body weight. Sometimes for 3-4 weeks at a time. In these cases I may even see slight gains over the course of a few days when I thought I was really strict on diet and excersice, then all of a sudden, boom, I'll drop down again. My advice, and take it for what it's worth. Keep staying in a deficit. Try reducing a little more or add a little more cardio to try and get over the hump. Utlimately if you stay in the deficit regardless of how (exercise more or eat less), your weight loss should resume.