WTH!

Options
Mini rant here....
I've been working out, eating alright (can always be way better....but am typically at or under my calories), and drinking water....
AND I GAINED....not just a little gain but 2lbs!!!!
I am going backwards!
:sad:

Replies

• ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Mini rant here....
    I've been working out, eating alright (can always be way better....but am typically at or under my calories), and drinking water....
    AND I GAINED....not just a little gain but 2lbs!!!!
    I am going backwards!
    :sad:
  • meanness67
    meanness67 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    That happened to me, too! It came right back off though - just keep doing what you're doing :bigsmile:
  • FreckleButt
    Options
    That is most liekly muscle, if you have been working out.
    Either that or maybe some water weight if you have been eating salty foods latley. just keep going and it should come back off or better yet see about getting a scale that has a body fat scanner, you stand on it with wet feet and it tells you what % of your weight is fat and then you just minus that from 100 and thats your muscle.:bigsmile:
  • purpleparadox
    Options
    If you've been working out a lot, the weight gain you're experiencing is probably your muscles developing and becoming stronger. keep in mind- muscle weighs more than fat!
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    I don't work out a lot... just average... a few days a week, not intense yet....building up to that.
    It could be some water...had artichokes that I think were marinated last night.... so that may not be helping.
    My sleep was also off last night...due to a psycho ex-boyfriend who wouldn't stop texting.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I didn't start regularly losing weight until I REALLY increased my calories. I work out for over an hour 6 days a week, sometimes 2 hours. I also stand all night at my job and walk a lot on campus. I am currently eating 2,000 calories a day and lost 2.2 lbs this month. Previously I was eating about 1600 calories a day. How long this will keep up, I'm not sure, but I'll stay with it for at least 2 weeks. At the very least this will be a welcome rest for my body.

How long have you been in a caloric deficit? How much sodium are you getting? Are you watching for weight trends? Sometimes it helps to go back and see what worked.
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    I didn't start regularly losing weight until I REALLY increased my calories. I work out for over an hour 6 days a week, sometimes 2 hours. I also stand all night at my job and walk a lot on campus. I am currently eating 2,000 calories a day and lost 2.2 lbs this month. Previously I was eating about 1600 calories a day. How long this will keep up, I'm not sure, but I'll stay with it for at least 2 weeks. At the very least this will be a welcome rest for my body.

How long have you been in a caloric deficit? How much sodium are you getting? Are you watching for weight trends? Sometimes it helps to go back and see what worked.

Back in May MFP set me at 1200 and I couldn't handle that... .
    So, a few months ago I jumped up to 1500.... lost 10lbs (in roughly over a month), but wasn't working out at all. Just watched what I was eating.
    I'm still at 1500 and only do about 30 minutes of working out about 4 times a week (sometimes a bit more a bit less). I usually only eat a % of exercise calories, since when I did it before if I ate them all I didn't lose at all. I was hoping to increase my workouts but I wanted to still see weight loss....which seems to stand still or go the opposite way when I work out.

I've actually worked out a ton the last 6 years...even cleaned up my diet like crazy (not so much anymore) but my weight itself has only fluctuated a max of 10lbs either way.... I can tone insanely (I went from a 16 to an 8....with only a 5lb loss). I just won't accept that my body could have a lot of muscle....because I can SEE the fat!
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options

By the way, you are doing AWESOME! :flowerforyou:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

Back in May MFP set me at 1200 and I couldn't handle that... .
    So, a few months ago I jumped up to 1500.... lost 10lbs (in roughly over a month), but wasn't working out at all. Just watched what I was eating.
    I'm still at 1500 and only do about 30 minutes of working out about 4 times a week (sometimes a bit more a bit less). I usually only eat a % of exercise calories, since when I did it before if I ate them all I didn't lose at all. I was hoping to increase my workouts but I wanted to still see weight loss....which seems to stand still or go the opposite way when I work out.

I've actually worked out a ton the last 6 years...even cleaned up my diet like crazy (not so much anymore) but my weight itself has only fluctuated a max of 10lbs either way.... I can tone insanely (I went from a 16 to an 8....with only a 5lb loss). I just won't accept that my body could have a lot of muscle....because I can SEE the fat!

Well remember, it's normal to gain weight when you exercise. While it's not going to be 2 lbs of muscle in a matter of weeks, there are changes occurring within the muscle. You will increase the amount of sugar you store in your liver and muscles, and with that will come extra water. If you really have a lot of muscle mass already, there's a lot of storage space available.
    If you're going from a 16 to an 8, why does it matter how much you weigh? Shoot, I'd be happy with a 10 lb gain if it meant I would fit into a size 3 jean. Do whatever you were doing to drop pant sizes like that. Don't bother with the scale.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

By the way, you are doing AWESOME! :flowerforyou:

Thank you! :happy: :flowerforyou:
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    If you're going from a 16 to an 8, why does it matter how much you weigh? Shoot, I'd be happy with a 10 lb gain if it meant I would fit into a size 3 jean. Do whatever you were doing to drop pant sizes like that. Don't bother with the scale.

I'll be honest... it's kinda embarassing to be like... "I am a size 8 and weigh 180lbs"... haha... freaks people out. :laugh: All I really did to shrink was work out..... A LOT...
  • SGFlyinHi
    SGFlyinHi Posts: 469 Member
    Options

I'll be honest... it's kinda embarassing to be like... "I am a size 8 and weigh 180lbs"... haha... freaks people out. :laugh: All I really did to shrink was work out..... A LOT...

Hey, that works for me- LOL. :bigsmile:
    I'm 170 and a size 8, could be a 6 if it wasn't for my thighs. :laugh:
    I love it when people ask me what I weigh and when I tell them they are like no way. You don't look like it. That makes me feel great. :drinker:

Keep up the Great work CB. :flowerforyou:
  • mmackie
    Options
    I DON"T UNDERSTAND HOW YOU GUYS CONSUME 2,000 CALORIES A DAY! I barely get in 1200. I am very conscientous about what I eat and I can't even imagine consuming that many calories a day. What do you eat? I feel like I'm always full and I really don't want to eat when I'm not hungry...do you guys?:noway:
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I'm up 2.4 pound too. Haven't eaten all my cals, cause I can't! I feel ill. I'll plug away though.:cry:
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    How about changing up your daily calories each day? Like eating 1500 one day, 1300 another day and so on. Maybe it'll confuse your body.

-Adrienne:heart:
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    I don't eat 2000 a day. I eat 1500.
    After years of starving and binging and through LOTS of education....
    I have learned that loss of appetite is one of the signs of a slowing metabolism.
    I used to eat 700 calories and not be hungry....i'd work out 2 hours a day on that too....
    I wasn't skinny by any means, but I was not eating enough for my body to function correctly.

Now, I eat what I am supposed to.
    Since my food choices aren't strictly "health" foods I fill my calories without feeling stuffed too early in the day. Now and then I do have my days where I eat to heavy and don't have a ton of night calories, but I manage.
  • SGFlyinHi
    SGFlyinHi Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I DON"T UNDERSTAND HOW YOU GUYS CONSUME 2,000 CALORIES A DAY! I barely get in 1200. I am very conscientous about what I eat and I can't even imagine consuming that many calories a day. What do you eat? I feel like I'm always full and I really don't want to eat when I'm not hungry...do you guys?:noway:

I eat 1700 to 200 cals a day, but I'm on maintenance.
    Here's an example of what I ate when I was eating about 1500 cals a day:

Breakfast:
    Quaker Oats - Oatmeal- 1/3 cup dry
    2 Eggs - White only
    Boar's Head - Blackforest Ham, 2 oz
    Apples - Raw, with skin, 0.5 large
    Laura Scudder's - Old Fashioned Peanut Butter- Nutty, 0.5 Tbsp

Snack:
    Protien drink or bar before workout

Lunch:
    Boar's Head - Salsalito Turkey, 3 oz
    Thomas' Sahara - Pita Pockets 100% Whole Wheat, 0.5 loaf
    Best Foods Mayo - Light, 1 tbsp
    Red Grapes - Seedless, 0.5 cup

Snack:
    Melons - Cantaloupe, raw, 0.25 melon, large
    Laura Scudder's - Old Fashioned Peanut Butter- Nutty, 1 Tsp

Dinner:
    Poultry - Chicken Breast- Meat Only, 3 oz
    Oroweat - Health Nut Original Bread, 1 slice
    Avocado Raw, 0.5 med

Snack:
    Blue Diamond Natural - Oven Roasted Almonds, 0.1 oz (3 Almonds)
    Bashas' - Milk: 1% Lowfat, 1 Cup

Hope this helps you a little.
    By adding in the Almonds, Avocado, Peanut butter, it adds in the calories with good fats.
  • mmackie
    Options
    Thanks everyone...I eat a lot of nuts too, but not that much else. I pretty much eat fruit, nuts, nonfat yogurt and cottage cheese everyday...Maybe I need to change it up because I'm not losing any weight.:grumble:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

I eat 1700 to 200 cals a day, but I'm on maintenance.
    Here's an example of what I ate when I was eating about 1500 cals a day:

Breakfast:
    Quaker Oats - Oatmeal- 1/3 cup dry
    2 Eggs - White only
    Boar's Head - Blackforest Ham, 2 oz
    Laura Scudder's - Old Fashioned Peanut Butter- Nutty, 0.5 Tbsp

Snack:
    Protien drink or bar before workout

Lunch:
    Boar's Head - Salsalito Turkey, 3 oz
    Thomas' Sahara - Pita Pockets 100% Whole Wheat, 0.5 loaf
    Best Foods Mayo - Light, 1 tbsp
    Red Grapes - Seedless, 0.5 cup

Snack:
    Laura Scudder's - Old Fashioned Peanut Butter- Nutty, 1 Tsp

Dinner:
    Poultry - Chicken Breast- Meat Only, 3 oz
    Oroweat - Health Nut Original Bread, 1 slice
    Avocado Raw, 0.5 med

Snack:
    Blue Diamond Natural - Oven Roasted Almonds, 0.1 oz (3 Almonds)
    Bashas' - Milk: 1% Lowfat, 1 Cup

Hope this helps you a little.
    By adding in the Almonds, Avocado, Peanut butter, it adds in the calories with good fats.
    SG....thanks so much for sharing the 1500 cals plan of yours:drinker: :bigsmile:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    I don't eat 2000 a day. I eat 1500.
    After years of starving and binging and through LOTS of education....
    I have learned that loss of appetite is one of the signs of a slowing metabolism.
    I used to eat 700 calories and not be hungry....i'd work out 2 hours a day on that too....
    I wasn't skinny by any means, but I was not eating enough for my body to function correctly.

Now, I eat what I am supposed to.
    Since my food choices aren't strictly "health" foods I fill my calories without feeling stuffed too early in the day. Now and then I do have my days where I eat to heavy and don't have a ton of night calories, but I manage.
    :happy: Glad you shared what you did about 'loss of appetite' could mean slowing down of metabolism...I'd definitley never thought of it that way before! Makes me think now..

FC:heart: