Weight Loss and Propranolol 120 MG Extended Release

Options
LH2007
LH2007 Posts: 15 Member
Anyone else on 120MG Extended Release Propranolol? This is my first time EVER on a medication turning 40 is ROUGH ;) and my doc prescribed this due to high blood pressure. He said if I drop 10-15 lbs he will take me off the meds as it is most likely directly correlated to my recent weight gain. My question is I rode my spin bike this morning and my heart rate per my polar tracker maxed out at 112. I could not get it higher. I was sweating bullets but I am wondering if I can even loose weight at that level? Anyone been successful?

Replies

• fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I'm on Propranolol 40mg twice a day for anxiety. I have lost weight when taking this consistently too. You basically need to be eating less calories than you burn. Did your tracker say how many calories you burnt during the exercise?
  • LH2007
    Options
    It was really low - prior to the beta blocker a 30 min workout I would burn roughly 250 calories with this workout I burned 101.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,727 Member
    Options
    LH2007 wrote: »
    It was really low - prior to the beta blocker a 30 min workout I would burn roughly 250 calories with this workout I burned 101.

How are you coming up with these numbers?

HR doesn't determine caloric burn. Time/distance/intensity do.

• fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine a Dr putting you on beta blockers and telling you you need to lose weight to come off them if you can't lose weight on them.
    The workout your doing may not be as intense or as you lose weight you burn less when exercising. I don't think it has anything to do with your heart rate.
  • LH2007
    Options

How are you coming up with these numbers?

HR doesn't determine caloric burn. Time/distance/intensity do.

I use a Polar Heart Rate Monitor that determines calories burned during a workout.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Your heart rate will be lower because that is one side effect of a beta blocker. It doesnt mean your exercise isnt effective.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar Heart Rate Monitor that determines calories burned during a workout.

A basic HRM isn't that accurate in the first place (a rough population average of people who are not on meds), add in beta blockers and the accuracy could well be even worse.

Does your bike give you a power reading (watts)? That would allow far more accurate estimates.

I was on propranolol for migraines for a while and hated the feeling of having a HR cap when exercising hard. But the good news is that exercise is still effective at low intensities.
    But really you are looking at the wrong thing for weight loss - that's predominately from how much you eat, not how many calories are burned during exercise.
  • LH2007
    Options
    That makes sense. And yes I hate it for the same reasons. Hoping to get off it and switch to something else soon but I know it's a process with a med like this. Thanks for the insights
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,015 Member
    Options
    I take another beta blocker, Metoprolol, for my heart. I haven't noticed any affect on weight loss one way or another. It makes me a little sleepy, so I take it at bedtime.