Does anyone else need to eat high calories to feel full

Options
Hi! My total and net calories are very different I’ll start by saying... I don’t eat all my exercise calories back but I eat TOTAL 2500ish calories a day or else I feel starving.. my net works out to about 1200-1600 after all my exercise (training for a half marathon). I’m 19, 5’10” and very active. I have tried having total 2000 calories but I was starving. Even on 2500 total before exercise I still feel borderline hungry. I am losing on this amount. About 0.5lb per week now that the fast initial loss has slowed. I am very happy with this rate. I just worried something could be wrong with me to be this hungry all the time? Is it because I’m young and active? Anyone my age or older eat this much while losing?

Replies

• nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Hi! My total and net calories are very different I’ll start by saying... I don’t eat all my exercise calories back but I eat TOTAL 2500ish calories a day or else I feel starving.. my net works out to about 1200-1600 after all my exercise (training for a half marathon). I’m 19, 5’10” and very active. I have tried having total 2000 calories but I was starving. Even on 2500 total before exercise I still feel borderline hungry. I am losing on this amount. About 0.5lb per week now that the fast initial loss has slowed. I am very happy with this rate. I just worried something could be wrong with me to be this hungry all the time? Is it because I’m young and active? Anyone my age or older eat this much while losing?

Sounds like you're doing a ton of heavy exercise and really need to be eating the 2500 calories, if your net is bringing you into the 1200-1600 calorie range. Arguably, on days you are on the low end of that range you could maybe eat more.

But yeah, there are ways to make sure you get the most satisfaction for your calories, and that's going to vary from person to person, just like the other posters say. For me, I can eat carbs and protein until the cows come home but if I don't get a reasonable amount of fat and fiber I find myself ready to eat the paint off the walls. So you might want to play with your eating some: add more vegetables, fruits, fat, protein, etc. See what works for you.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Running makes me ravenous! Even a little 3k or so. Definitely normal.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i keep a good balance of fat, protien and fiber.
    runner's world cookbook helps me stay full and squeeze as much nutrition out of it as possible.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Is this hunger or appetite? Appetite is desire for specific foods - sweet/salty/etc. Hunger is your body's need for food, which given your activity level is expected.

When I was going through some of the more demanding training I was tracking calories ~5000 kcals/day and still hungry. It depends on your activity.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    You’re young and running a lot—enjoy that metabolism! I’m 34 training for a marathon. I eat 2500-3000 calories a day and am losing about 1/2lb per week. I love to eat so I’m not complaining. Dessert everyday :)
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,975 Member
    Options
    Go by your body and your weight - sounds like you've got a pretty good handle on what all of that is telling you!

I know when I was in my 20's and even my very early 30's, BEFORE I got the dreaded "desk job" it was not uncommon for me (a 5' 7", at that time 128 lb female) to eat 2000-5000 calories a day. If the scale started to creep up to 130, I'd just cut back on fast food/soda/candy bars and be right back to my "happy weight" as I called it.

If you're trying to lose, and have steady losses at the rate you mention, then stick to what you're doing. You may be okay with slowing that a tiny bit and eating at maintenance a couple days a week, too.
  • takemetosingapore19
    takemetosingapore19 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone I feel like it’s more normal now after reading your posts... I thought I was doing something wrong at first because I see all these “1200 calories” posts... I couldn’t imagine eating that little lol
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Also, not sure if anyone mentioned, your body isn't craving 2500 calories worth of food, your body is craving that volume. Like others have said, your numbers are perfectly normal . . . however the foods you might be choosing to eat might be less volume for the calories, so you could look into more volume foods. But again, this seems normal for your stats.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,659 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    At ~49 yo and 5ft 8" I lost a substantial amount of weight at an average rate of 1.39lbs a week for 52 weeks while EATING 2560 Cal a day on average

At ~50 yo, I lost a comparatively small amount of weight at an average rate of 0.21lbs a week for 52 weeks while EATING 2913 Cal a day on average.

More recently I am maintaining while eating on average 2873 Cal a day.

It is NOT only how much you eat. Your TDEE also matters (and ultimately your NET intake). And your NET is probably lower than it should be given your age and height.

If you are continuing to be hungry (in conjunction with your intense training) the hunger level may be negatively impacting your actual training and non training activity level INTENSITIES in relatively imperceptible ways.

Losing at 0.5lbs a week, in my personal experience you may be occasionally hungry, but not totally hungry all of the time if you're choosing a good enough mix of food, and if you haven't been doing this for multiple years.

So, if you're continuously hungry (enough so as to make a post about it), I would actually consider trying to eat more of your exercise calories back over a period of a few weeks to see whether this impacts positively on your activity levels in such a way that you may actually end up losing the same, or more, than you are currently losing while at the same time eating a greater percentage of your estimated/purported TDEE than you are currently eating.

I am assuming, of course, that you're using a trending weight application or some sort of averaging when looking at your weight changes over a sufficiently long period of time...