Core Muscles

Anybody know any good core exercises I can do alone without equipment? I wanna be able to do something On The Spot.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Do you do any other muscle exercises? Strengthening core works better in conjunction with training your other muscles. Things like squats, deadlifts, bench press, pull ups, and over head press all require core stabilization. To tone core you have to strengthen everything and lose fat.
  • RC4655
    RC4655 Posts: 61 Member
    If you go on YouTube, look up a guy named Brian Carroll. He has a ton of really good videos on there, but search for the McGill three. These are three exercises you can do to strengthen your core without any weights, and they work extremely well. The consist of Birddogs, rolling planks and McGill crunches. Use the technique Brian explains in the video. Brian is one of the top strength coaches in the country. He developed these with Dr. Stuart McGill. If all you ever did was these three exercises, the way Brian explains in the video, you will have an extremely strong core. Brian was my coach for several years.
  • sschauer513
    sschauer513 Posts: 313 Member
    planks, planks, and more planks there are a lot of variations from side to rolling they all look easy. The first time a trainer showed me I was like what I just gotta lay there easy. There is a plank challenge go on here with some videos the last one is crazy hard.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    I do these as part of my full-body workout:

Waist crunches
    Bicycle crunches
    Dead bugs
    Deep abs ball transfers
    Planks with knee bends

Also I do a number of exercises for other muscle groups that involve a stability ball, and have a core-strengthening component.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    planks, planks, and more planks there are a lot of variations from side to rolling they all look easy. The first time a trainer showed me I was like what I just gotta lay there easy. There is a plank challenge go on here with some videos the last one is crazy hard.

Plank progressions

1. Floor plank-Lay flat on your face/belly(Think Superman pose) beginning with your toes, introduce tension into your muscles maintaining tension as you go until you are tense from head to toe. Pay special attention to glutes, and abs. Hold for 15-30 seconds then release the same way.
    2. High Plank-Same as above, but as the tension passes through your shoulders, begin to draw your arms under your shoulder blades and finish in a "pushup position" Hold 15-30 seconds to begin.. but no more than 120. -Lower to floor and release tension as before.
    3. Low plank-Same as above, but after a brief pause at the top, lower to 90 degrees arm bend for 5-10 seconds before reversing up, and relaxing down and out. This one can be held for up to 30 seconds if desired.

Don't try the low plank until you can hold the high for 45 seconds or so. IF you don't have a timer or someone time for you, use breaths/heartbeats... 1 natural(not exaggerated) slow breath(in/out) is about 5 seconds.

Once you master the above series, incorporate knees to elbows and shoulder touches.

Once you master the shoulder touches-incorporate weights... starting with 15-25 lb dumbbell/Kbells
  • iWishMyNameWasRebel
    iWishMyNameWasRebel Posts: 174 Member
    Basically all of my core work is without equipment, most already mentioned:

Dead bugs
    Crunches
    Flutter kicks
    Planks of all kinds (see above recommendations)
    Leg drops
    Bicycle crunches
  • chantalemarie
    chantalemarie Posts: 66 Member
    check out fitnessblender.com they have tons of FREE workout vids and you can search by exactly what you are wanting to do.
  • elskeleton
    elskeleton Posts: 72 Member
    Sorry I got back to these so late and thanks for all the suggestions! WASHBOARD ABS, HERE I COME.
    RC4655 wrote: »
    If you go on YouTube, look up a guy named Brian Carroll. He has a ton of really good videos on there, but search for the McGill three. These are three exercises you can do to strengthen your core without any weights, and they work extremely well. The consist of Birddogs, rolling planks and McGill crunches. Use the technique Brian explains in the video. Brian is one of the top strength coaches in the country. He developed these with Dr. Stuart McGill. If all you ever did was these three exercises, the way Brian explains in the video, you will have an extremely strong core. Brian was my coach for several years.

I checked him out, these look extremely doable!
  • Movemoreguy22
    Movemoreguy22 Posts: 387 Member
    I avoid crunches like the plague no good for ya... planks of some kind, hanging leg raises or KNEE raises, L SITS is the way forward
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    elskeleton wrote: »
    Anybody know any good core exercises I can do alone without equipment? I wanna be able to do something On The Spot.

Compound exercises are great for the core, but require equipment.

I like to do bodyweight crunches (knees bent at 90-degree angle and elbows to knees, focus on breathing and holding a tight core), bodyweight scissor crunches, hanging leg raises or knee ups are amazing as well. Planks and oblique planks rock.

If you have a small dumbbell or kettlebell (I like to use 20-25 lbs.) you can do weighted double crunches (lay flat out - arms extended - and bend knees to a 90-degree angle at the same time you pull the weight up in a crunch motion) and v-ups (lay flat out, arms extended again, and pull legs up - keeping them straight - while also lifting the weight to your toes). Tons of other weighted stuff you can do using the cable machine at the gym too!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member

I like to do bodyweight crunches (knees bent at 90-degree angle and elbows to knees, focus on breathing and holding a tight core), bodyweight scissor crunches, hanging leg raises or knee ups are amazing as well. Planks and oblique planks rock.

If you have a small dumbbell or kettlebell (I like to use 20-25 lbs.) you can do weighted double crunches (lay flat out - arms extended - and bend knees to a 90-degree angle at the same time you pull the weight up in a crunch motion) and v-ups (lay flat out, arms extended again, and pull legs up - keeping them straight - while also lifting the weight to your toes). Tons of other weighted stuff you can do using the cable machine at the gym too!

Why would you do that to your back.

Plus, crunches and their variations are primarily hip flexor and not ab/core work.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,386 MFP Moderator

No, they really aren't.. while there is a little core engagement, they are mediocre at best.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    I avoid crunches like the plague no good for ya... planks of some kind, hanging leg raises or KNEE raises, L SITS is the way forward

OMG yes. My core (lower especially) has gotten exponentially stronger since I've started incorporating L-sits into my workout routine.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Planks...V sits...hanging leg raises...ab roller...

IMO, sit-ups are a terrible exercise and should only be done if required for a PT test or something...most crunch variations aren't far behind.
  • Movemoreguy22
    Movemoreguy22 Posts: 387 Member

OMG yes. My core (lower especially) has gotten exponentially stronger since I've started incorporating L-sits into my workout routine.

I couldn't do hanging L SIT for the life of me.. did a few knee raises/leg raises, toes to bar, front tuck levers and now I'm doing hanging L SIT CHIN UPS :)
  • RC4655
    RC4655 Posts: 61 Member
    Sorry I got back to these so late and thanks for all the suggestions! WASHBOARD ABS, HERE I COME.
    RC4655 wrote: »

I checked him out, these look extremely doable!

I hope they work well for you. They look easy but they are pretty intense.
  • peaceout_aly

Why would you do that to your back.

Plus, crunches and their variations are primarily hip flexor and not ab/core work.

Do what to my back? None of the exercises I noted put much pressure on the back at all. I have back issues (and go to PT for flexor/IT band issues) and have to be careful with flare ups and none of these work outs cause a problem. I mean, you can go with what you want, I guess some people don't do well with weighted work but it's how I got a six pack soooo I was just giving advice as requested..
  • peaceout_aly
    psuLemon wrote: »

No, they really aren't.. while there is a little core engagement, they are mediocre at best.

Compound lifts (beltless) like squats and DL are the main way I began seeing abdominal definition. The latter portion is how I built them up. Different stuff works for each individual. Just noting my own personal findings.
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Planks...V sits...hanging leg raises...ab roller...

IMO, sit-ups are a terrible exercise and should only be done if required for a PT test or something...most crunch variations aren't far behind.

I love my ab carver pro. It was like $22 at Wal-Mart & it'll work you to the, well, core. If you want to up the intensity, do it from a standing position instead of kneeling.