Running as a Tourist

Options
2»

Replies

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Look up ideal running spots online.

Put the stinky running things in ziplocs with dryer sheets or baking soda sachets. The ziplocs will keep them from stinking up the other things, the other stuff will keep them from overwhelming you when you open up the ziplocs.

We look up running spots online as well.
    If you can: bring some powdered oxyclean in a container and wash the gear in the shower with you. then lay out a towel and roll it up really tightly to draw the water out and then hang it. If you can't do that (or it won't dry in time) then yes, ziplock bags.

(sorta like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-_ecTTPfBo ) sorta

I love how excited that dude is about drying his shorts.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Oh, depending on how much time/effort you want to spend... a local running shop can be a great resource for good runs/locales/sites in the area. It try to buy a pair of socks or shop tshirt or something if they are really good/helpful.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I typically check out segments on Strava. That gives a decent idea where locals run, sometimes really hard runs though!

Or if you are vacationing in Boston every street has a segment...
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    If you use the Garmin Connect app, you can search for courses near where you'll be staying (I'm assuming other apps have similar features). I was able to find some really nice waterfront runs when I visited Baltimore and Annapolis last fall...
  • EifionCockram
    EifionCockram Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I live here in Vancouver BC and there are many places to go for a jog and have a scenic view while doing that. Add me or message me if you so wish.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Look up ideal running spots online.

Put the stinky running things in ziplocs with dryer sheets or baking soda sachets. The ziplocs will keep them from stinking up the other things, the other stuff will keep them from overwhelming you when you open up the ziplocs.

We look up running spots online as well.
    If you can: bring some powdered oxyclean in a container and wash the gear in the shower with you. then lay out a towel and roll it up really tightly to draw the water out and then hang it. If you can't do that (or it won't dry in time) then yes, ziplock bags.

(sorta like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-_ecTTPfBo ) sorta

I love how excited that dude is about drying his shorts.

I laughed. But it was the only example of the towel drying trick I could find. Dude: two pair of shorts! lol
  • 0ysterboy
    0ysterboy Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    __TMac__ wrote: »
    Technical fabrics dry super quick, so when you get back from your run, wash them up in the bathroom sink and hang them up.
    +1. Used this approach flying with only carry-on for a 10 day trip to Europe.

I also understand your initial hesitation about wearing your running shoes on the airplane. I run in Hoka One One's so I need to do this otherwise they take up too much room. :smile:

I love to run as a tourist. One of my favorites was an October run around the Mall in Washington DC at dusk. I'll take the memory of that run to the grave with me. Most hotels are pretty good at suggesting running routes, many have pre-printed maps. Runners are not very rare.

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Oh oh oh!
    If you haven't left yet.
    In Portland you run up the hill to Washington Park, and the Japanese Garden and the Rose Garden. Much fun and very pretty.
    You can run down along the river too. There are homeless individuals. But if you are used to a city that is not intimidating.
    In Vancouver, you MUST run through Stanley Park. If you run far, the park is a point jutting out between the bay and the harbour, and you can go all the way around it, under the Lions Gate Bridge. Temperatures are perfect there (On the cooler side, usually) and the park is beautiful.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    GiddyupTim wrote: »
    Oh oh oh!
    If you haven't left yet.
    In Portland you run up the hill to Washington Park, and the Japanese Garden and the Rose Garden. Much fun and very pretty.
    You can run down along the river too. There are homeless individuals. But if you are used to a city that is not intimidating.
    In Vancouver, you MUST run through Stanley Park. If you run far, the park is a point jutting out between the bay and the harbour, and you can go all the way around it, under the Lions Gate Bridge. Temperatures are perfect there (On the cooler side, usually) and the park is beautiful.

I will look up those runs, thanks! We don’t leave for about a month, I’m just super excited already. I am used to cities, but we don’t have the same level of homelessness where I live because of crummy weather and fairly strong social services - that was a shock the last time I was in San Francisco and I understand it’s a real issue in Portland, too.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @MegaMooseEsq Looks like you have a Vancouver contact in @EifionCockram and a Portland / Vancouver in @GiddyupTim . Also @mwyvr might be able to give you some great Vancouver area tips.

As everyone else has said Running Tech drys very fast so just wash and go. I actually have climbed into the shower with my gear on and had a nice rinse/wash and then peeled it off - completed the shower, rung the clothes out and placed them on hangers to dry. Some hotels now have a Guest Laundry room and cloths hangers in your room that you can pull out of the closet and hook on the shower curtain rod which gives them more air space - movement. I have a set of 4 Super large Heavy Ziploc bags designed for storing seasonal clothes, the largest one will hold a duvet so these stay in my differant suitcase's folded flat for transport of dirty cloths at the end of a trip. I think I picked them up at Wal-mart.
    Strava, MapMyRun or Garmin should have courses,routes for any place you go.
    Also check out a local Running Store as they might have a group run/training session which you could tag into.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    i found the homeless population a lot more personable the norther i went on the west coast. i had plenty of conversations with nomads north of SF, but San Francisco and south i found them a little more cagey. i was more comfy running norther by myself
    while researching my trips, i have found other people felt the same.
    where i am, some are some aren't. it's hard to tell like chicago.
    edit: that being said, when we were on the train to our airbnb, we did see a homeless guy do a line of meth off a garbage can in the middle of the business center in Portland. :wink:
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I love running as a tourist! Hubby travels for work a bit and sometimes I'll go with him and work remotely in the hotel. I always try and find a place to run. My favorite so far has been The Strand in Santa Monica. I also live in CO, so running at sea level made me SUPER fast. It was pretty awesome. And also the ocean.