Calorie restriction and depression

RoyaltyTB
RoyaltyTB Posts: 5 Member
Went to the doc and found out I have high blood pressure and am prediabetic. Was “prescribed” a diet of 1100 calories per day (1400 in plus 300 in exercise that I don’t eat back.) Since beginning two weeks ago I’ve experienced these horrible and extreme waves of depression. I originally thought I was just stressed and worried about my health, but now I’m wondering if it is hormonal/chemical - some research seems to support this as well.

Long story short: I’m curious if anyone else has experienced this and, if so, where was your “comfort zone” with caloric intake? Do I just need to suck it up or did I, perhaps, receive some less than stellar medical advice?

(FYI - MFP calculates that to lose 2lbs per week I’m supposed to be eating 1800 per day.)

Replies

• RoyaltyTB
    I really appreciate the feedback - I have a habit of talking myself out of things I don’t really want to do and needed some validation that wasn’t happening. I have an appointment to follow up in 3 weeks. I plan on increasing my calories until then. I did lose 4.5 lbs this week, but the emotional roller coaster is NOT worth it.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    If I were in your shoes I would bump up my calories to 2100-2400 for 2 or 3 days to get my head clear. You would still be losing but much slower. 2800 is your maintenance calories if 1800 is 2 lbs per week. After that decide what you think you can handle.

I am not you though and have never been in your situation so this advice is just a guess at what I would do if I was. It seems like a mini-breather is needed but someone else may have better info for you.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Finding out you have high blood pressure and are prediabetic sounds pretty depressing at the best of times, let alone having a 1000 calorie deficit!

Was the very low calorie limit prescribed because your blood pressure puts you in a very high risk category? i.e. do you really need to lose a lot of weight urgently for serious medical reasons?

Or is your BP responding to medicine, and you just need to lose weight to not need as much or any medicine?
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,817 Member
    What are your stats?
  • RoyaltyTB
    edited May 2018
    BP is 140/90, A1C is 6.5. Doc recommended an expedited weight loss so that I could avoid being put on medication - at 340lbs I’m considered morbidly obese. She is a new (new to me) doctor and I didn’t much care for her - thinking this may have been a bit of an overreaction.
    Do I need to lose weight? Absolutely. I’m just not sold that I need to lose it all in a matter of 6 months.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Is there some reason you can't be on meds while losing weight at a pace you can handle?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    RoyaltyTB wrote: »
    BP is 140/90, A1C is 6.5. Doc recommended an expedited weight loss so that I could avoid being put on medication - at 340lbs I’m considered morbidly obese. She is a new (new to me) doctor and I didn’t much care for her - thinking this may have been a bit of an overreaction.
    Do I need to lose weight? Absolutely. I’m just not sold that I need to lose it all in a matter of 6 months.

not to offend you and its not my intention but at your weight you can eat a lot more than 1400 calories. there is no need to go down to 1400 and then 300 exercise calories and not eat them back. I would try for 2lbs a week and eat those calories and some of your exercise calories and go from there. but I also agree being referred to a registered dietitian.