Dieting

Options
Would I be successful if I ate a diet based off of keto and increased my fats and proteins while eating low carbs and watching the types of fats I'm eating but just not being as rigorous as the full keto diet? Is it a all in or nothing situation?

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    What's up with all the woos today on decent posts?

There's normally one or two which mistake the meaning of it but not this many!
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Would I be successful if I ate a diet based off of keto and increased my fats and proteins while eating low carbs and watching the types of fats I'm eating but just not being as rigorous as the full keto diet? Is it a all in or nothing situation?

if you want to call it "keto" then its an all or nothing situation .... in the same way you cant be a vegetarian that eats meat or a vegan that that doesnt tell everyone they are vegan

as far as fatloss goes .... eat what you like as long as you are in a deficit ... in someways keeping it low carb 'can' help you because you eat more calories from protein and retain muscle mass
  • Lyrica7
    Lyrica7 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Keto is high fat, moderate protein, low carb
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

There seems to be a wild-wooer on the loose lately! My Woo count has gone up dramatically this week!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

The woo fairies are out

OP, you’ll be successful with it if it helps you sustain a calorie deficit
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

Keto works when it does because that way of eating for some also creates a calorie deficit, so sure a higher carb version of keto -- which would be just a low carb diet -- would work, as do non low carb diets.

If you've heard that keto helps with appetite or cravings or some such and want to try that, my answer is still yes. I actually think it makes sense to start with just reducing carbs if you want to try that (some find it an easy way to cut calories even beyond any effect on appetite) and then keep doing so if you want. Many will find they get the same benefits from eating around 20-40% carbs (or under some specific number, like 150 g or 100 g) as from the keto level, or more benefits, since they find it more sustainable.

I also personally suspect that even most of these benefits are from having a better diet, cutting down on less satiating foods, eating at more regular times, and thinking more about what you eat, and not low carbing, although I do think that low carbing can allow what might otherwise feel like a diet feel more luxurious (steak and butter and bacon being promoted and all that).

So short answer: sure, so long as you have a calorie deficit, it certainly does not have to be all or nothing. Weird that everyone who low carbs these days thinks they need to do the most X-Treme version of keto. Being in ketosis itself has 0 to do with weight loss.