Breakfast

Options
So as a trainer... I know breakfast is one of the most important meals of the day. But sometimes I don’t have time to make a huge healthy breakfast and grab a shake or a cereal bar. What do you guys like to do for a gottago breakfast?

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    For me breakfast is not really all that majorly important. And I don't ever really make 'huge' breakfasts.

Give me a few minutes in the kitchen and I can make something real quick, high protein cereal, breakfast sandwich, yogurt, etc.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I would only consider breakfast to be one of the most important meals of the day if you find it personally helps your performance or it helps you meet your overall calorie goals. Otherwise, feel free to skip it.

That said, I usually eat leftovers from previous meals for breakfast. No prep time. I'll also bake bigger batches of things like breakfast cookies or protein muffins and pull out a single serving the night before so it's ready to eat in the morning.
  • mywayroche
    mywayroche Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Omlette or nothing for me. I don't suffer if I have to skip it tbh
  • jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I boil some eggs the night before and grab some fruit. I'd like some other ideas too. I used to grab some kind of processed breakfast bar or have a smoothie but neither were very satisfying.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,066 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is important to me, especially on days I go to work.

Nothing huge though - My standard breakfast is 3 weetbix in bowl with skim milk and small amount of sugar.
    Occasionally 2 crumpets or pieces of toast with jam instead.
  • speekee
    speekee Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Kashi heart to heart cereal with skim or 2%; whole grain English muffin with peanut butter; make Kodak pancakes on weekend and heat in toaster; I like a combination of protein and carbs!
  • NerdyFlex
    NerdyFlex Posts: 1,672 Member
    Options
    As a college student, I’m usually running late for my 8:30 AM classes and my cooking is rather limited. I just scramble some eggs and make a whey protein shake!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    lol my "breakfast" is RX and coffee.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    A black coffee like every other day
  • kds10
    kds10 Posts: 452 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    No breakfast for me, I love breakfast foods however so will sometimes have breakfast for lunch or supper:) What is most important for me is ensuring I get lots of fruit & veggies, protein, fiber, calcium, etc. in thru the day.
  • gcminton
    gcminton Posts: 170 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I don't generally eat until 3-5 hours after I get up, but my go-to breakfast is egg flower soup or leftovers. If I need to just grab food and go I've got meal/snack bars, or a handful of salami and cheese. I've never really been into the idea that there's breakfast food and non-breakfast food. Leftover Chinese is probably my favorite breakfast. Can't really get any easier than that!
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I used to get nauseous if I ate breakfast. Turned out it was because I was waking up early after very little sleep. Now I get more sleep and I'm slightly hungry in the AM so I usually eat something small and easy:
    - oatmeal (mixed w/ an egg while cooking) and fruit
    - greek yogurt with PB, fruit
    - 100 cal bagel with laughing cow swiss spread over it and an egg, sometimes turkey lunchmeat
    - hardboiled eggs w/ turkey roll ups and prunes
    - scrambled eggs w/ sauteed spinach and black beans... topped with a bit of parmesan
  • NerdyFlex
    NerdyFlex Posts: 1,672 Member
    Options
    NerdyFlex wrote: »
    jayemes wrote: »
    @wonder_years2010 why do you think it's the most important meal of the day? I'd think if you're a trainer you'd know that meal timing is unimportant?
    As for myself I never eat breakfast. Just coffee.

That’s not entirely true. Meal timing is somewhat important. For example, if you workout early in the morning, it would be beneficial to eat a breakfast that would provide sufficient energy for the workout.

Some people find it to be important. It's going to depend on the workout and the individual. For example, I don't feel great running with food in my stomach so fasted runs work best for me even when they are first thing in the morning. I've done lots of experimentation and I don't just feel better running on an empty stomach, I actually run better (for runs of under 9-10 miles, I will do gels for longer runs).

I understand that! I do a good bit of distance running myself and I have also came to the same conclusion as you. However, when I weight lift with an empty stomach, I feel lightheaded. I guess it really does depend on the individual.