Too old to weight lift

124»

Replies

• PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    I'm 51, I've been lifting for years, but started powerlifting a couple of years ago. I compete with several women in their 60s and 70s. So no, you are not too old.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    PWRLFTR1 wrote: »
    I'm 51, I've been lifting for years, but started powerlifting a couple of years ago. I compete with several women in their 60s and 70s. So no, you are not too old.

I love the quote in your icon.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    I'm 53. I was always active but at some point everyone is told that they can't continue to do nothing if they want to live a long healthy life.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    sarnies wrote: »
    Hi everyone, im wanting to start weight lifting at the ripe old age of 51, im a runner so used to gym work, the problem is that I stopped exercising last year and put on weight but now I'm getting back into it, I need to loss 14lb of flab to get back to 9st 4, my question is am i too old to start this and get good results

i'm 51 and just did a powerlifting competition last weekend. Never too old. Lift the weights, it will make you younger.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Definitely not too old to lift weights, however I don't think weight lifting is the right thing to be the foundation for flab loss. Is it an important piece? YES, but mainly to avoid losing muscle as you eat less/burn more.
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    I'm 49 and hit a squat 3x5 PR this year (315#). I never even came close to attempting that when I was twenty. My body is slower to recover, however my determination and mind are sharper than ever.
  • jrwms714
    jrwms714 Posts: 421 Member
    I'm heading towards 72 and started lifting about 4 years ago. At this age, it is more about not hurting myself and being fit rather than buff. However, I do power on a lot! I would strongly recommend getting a trainer, as others have said, to be sure you are doing everything right in the beginning.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    I'm 51, birthday next month. This year I have benched 420, inclined benched 380, military seated pressed 225 for 10. Started back working out at 46. I have been around 60-70 year olds doing yoga, crossfit, power lifting and weight lifting. Some have been doing it all their lives some haven't. But unless your doctor tells you not to, then I would workout. Lifting helps with bone degeneration, helps you do the things you want to do. There is a guy in my gym, 67 years old with a six pack, striations in the muscles, low body fat, he lifts. 67 years old with a body that looks like he's in his 20's. Don't be discouraged or afraid to lift, be cautious and listen to your body. It will tell you how far to push.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    PWRLFTR1 wrote: »

I love the quote in your icon.

I have a shirt that says that. You can get one at Constantly Varied Gear.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    sarnies wrote: »
    Hi everyone, im wanting to start weight lifting at the ripe old age of 51, im a runner so used to gym work, the problem is that I stopped exercising last year and put on weight but now I'm getting back into it, I need to loss 14lb of flab to get back to 9st 4, my question is am i too old to start this and get good results

I am 51 now (about three weeks into it) and started power lifting about 18 months ago. Lots and lots of them thare younger folks told me that I was way too old. Guess what? They were SO WRONG! Age is a number....nothing more.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    If Ruth Bader Ginsburg, the Notorious RBG, who is 85, lift weights regularly and sits on the Supreme Court, then so can you.

She bench presses 70# and can do 20 push ups - no knees! Bada$$
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    No such animal.

Lift. Perform. Inspire.