Do you get enough Potassium?

Options
I have been tracking here for a few weeks and notice that I really never come close to getting enough potassium. I think I eat a pretty healthy and well rounded diet. How are the rest of you doing with your potassium? If you are getting enough, what foods do you eat that are high in potassium?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    I have no medical reason to track potassium, so I don't. I'm anemic, so I look at iron, although I mostly get iron from supplements. Fiber helps me with satiety, so I track that.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I don't track it, but for fun just looked at my reports and according to that I do not by far. Not worried a lot of the db entries on food lacks a lot of nutrient data in this aspect.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    How am i doing with my potassium??

I have absolutely no idea. No reason to worry about it, So I don't.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I don't track it. And like others have said, MFP entries are user created and often lacking in a lot of the areas (potassium, iron, fiber, etc.). Unless you have a medical reason to monitor your potassium I wouldn't bother.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    mywayroche wrote: »
    The database is incomplete. You have to REALLY search for complete entries in terms of potassium

Even then, not every company reports potassium
  • mistypenningtongoin
    mistypenningtongoin Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Kiwi fruit
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I only worry about it when my calves start cramping a lot. And then I take a supplement.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I eat a banana every day so I feel like I'm good there but who knows...?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Potassium isn't required on food labels, which makes me feel better about the fact I pay no attention to it. I tend to eat a pretty wide variety of foods anyway. I don't think it's cause for concern, unless you have blood work that shows otherwise.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    ejbronte wrote: »
    Some food I like high in potassium: banana, sweet potato, spinach, avocado, salmon.

And COFFEE :)

Mushrooms too.

How could I forget coffee!!!!??? Unfortunately, I don't like mushrooms. Maybe one day...
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I have no idea but I eat a banana every day, so I think so?
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I don't track it but I pulled my report and it looks like most days I'm close to it and sometimes I'm way over so I think it balances out. Looks like I get it from broccoli, squash, potatoes, bananas, navy beans, and lentils.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,187 Member
    Options
    Truthfully, I don't much worry about micros. I've spot checked myself occasionally as a reference point, and know some that it's useful for me to supplement (example: Vit D, as someone who lives in the North, is aging, and has osteopenia that was probably prescription drug related). I routinely eat a minimum of 5 servings of varied, colorful fruits and vegetables daily; usually at least 10 servings; and sometimes upwards of 20. This is better, micronutrient-wise, than most humans through history have had the good fortune to be able to do. So why worry? Worrying isn't fun. I like fun better.
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Most people who eat a variety of veggies seem to do okay with potassium. Fruit is awesome too, but one banana a day won't cut it, as the average banana only has 250-400 mg...so you'd have to to eat like 11 or 12 large to meet that. Many people don't have to worry about potassium at all, unless you have a medical condition. I watch my potassium because I've had high blood pressure since I was 19. Potassium is the inverse of sodium and helps regulate healthy blood pressure at a ratio of approx 3/1.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    ejbronte wrote: »
    Some food I like high in potassium: banana, sweet potato, spinach, avocado, salmon.

And COFFEE :)

Mushrooms too.

Coffee? Cool, I'm covered :)