Dumbell bench form

Options
So every time i do dumbell flat press , i tried many times to get that feeling on my chest that "burn" feeling like i do in dumbell flys. However it just doesnt do anything, i feel like its just pushing. Usually i arch my back and push the dumbell at nipple height. I also lower the dumbell until it touches my side of pecs. But i still dont feel anything :(

Replies

• shadah888
    shadah888 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm not too good with weights but one thing I can say is that I've been adding some push ups in between reps. I do that because I've only got 7kg dumbells that I use at home on a flat bench. So to enhance that 'tension' it might be something that might work for you. Good luck,
  • SugarAndSugar
    SugarAndSugar Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    shadah888 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm not too good with weights but one thing I can say is that I've been adding some push ups in between reps. I do that because I've only got 7kg dumbells that I use at home on a flat bench. So to enhance that 'tension' it might be something that might work for you. Good luck,

I tried that too but my form is worse on pushups after weighted exercises aka from barbell benching from before the dumbell ones
  • shadah888
    shadah888 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Maybe try the ' Knee push ups ' to alleviate some of the pressure so you can keep your form. It will also help your lower back in the process and you'll find yourself targeting the muscles you want to work - keep it slow and don't lock your elbows aiming to keep ' tension' vs ' tension' on the way up and down.
  • SugarAndSugar
    Options
    shadah888 wrote: »
    Maybe try the ' Knee push ups ' to alleviate some of the pressure so you can keep your form. It will also help your lower back in the process and you'll find yourself targeting the muscles you want to work - keep it slow and don't lock your elbows aiming to keep ' tension' vs ' tension' on the way up and down.

Wait wait what? XD
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    What weight are you working with, how may reps, and how many reps do you feel you have in reserve?

Are your lats engaged/pinched together, glutes tight, feet flat on the floor?
  • SugarAndSugar
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    What weight are you working with, how may reps, and how many reps do you feel you have in reserve?

bbell1985 wrote: »

I go purposely heavy and more reps to at least try and feel a tension but still nope
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Welp. Take a form video and watch form videos. Maybe you just don't get a chest pump brah
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Going full ROM close to lock out? Other option is try experimenting with light weights using a "suicide grip"/palms only to better feel the chest (this is a lot easier to do on a machine or hammer press - what I do)
  • EmmaCaz4
    EmmaCaz4 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Your form is that of a powerlifter. A powerlifter arches their back to reduce ROM as their arms don't have to drop as far. Trying keeping your back flat to the bench and taking any leg pressure out of it. Lower the weight and work on reps, it's a mind-muscle connection and once you get it it'll work..
    I never used to feel it and could never get heavier, now I always feel it and can constantly get better.

Give it a try :)
  • Riff1970
    Riff1970 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    You could try bringing the weights down a little further out from your body. Like a wider grip would be on a straight bar.

Also, flaring the elbows out wider puts more stress on the pecs and less on the triceps for me. I can’t go straight out anymore because of shoulder pain but I go about 45°.
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Rather than push the weight up, think about bringing your elbows closer together and squeeze them together at the top with a static contraction.

Do a set of flyes to failure, then immediately start your dumbbell bench.
  • simon_pickard
    simon_pickard Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I don't get the same feeling from flat bench dumbbells either. Flyes are more of a stretch.
    If you want a burn / pump feeling try adding a set or two of drop sets at the end of your main working sets.

So something like..

Max weight - 20% for 8 reps. Drop those and quickly...
    Max weight - 40% for 12 reps. Drop those and quickly...
    Max weight - 60% for 15 reps.

Do 2 sets of these with a 2-3min min rest in-between.

By the end of that your chest should be begging for mercy.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Try lowering the weight and keeping hands out wider. Focus on your abs and squeeze with your chest. keeping your hands out wider will force your motion into more of fly than a press. another technique to try would be to add rotation. Start with weights parallel to your trunk and turn as you lift and squeeze at the top. Overall, though learn to control your whole body when lifting. Tighten your abs, plant your feet, learn how to push with your chest and not your arms. Push ups can help with the feeling. Push thru with the butts of your hands and keep your forearms vertical. I say lower the weight because its easier to move your hands around until you find the sweet spot to engage your chest.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    If you want the burn,lol. Do a set of 50 reps, then you can leave the gym. What, are you going for the pump like a bodybuilder?
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    I had a beautiful post describing how to achieve the lactic acid burn that you're chasing. But I hit the back button on my phone.

So basically drop your weight. Higher intensity lifts rarely produce a pump in any specific muscle group. You need to go lighter and go for volume.

What are you goals though? Feeling the burn doesn't necessarily mean anything other than muscle fatigue and waste build up.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Time under tension....
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    So every time i do dumbell flat press , i tried many times to get that feeling on my chest that "burn" feeling like i do in dumbell flys. However it just doesnt do anything, i feel like its just pushing. Usually i arch my back and push the dumbell at nipple height. I also lower the dumbell until it touches my side of pecs. But i still dont feel anything :(

What do you think a "burn" feeling is going to accomplish?

This^^. The "burn" comes if you lower weight and increase reps til you are getting the lactic acid buildup. But what are you trying to accomplish? Do you think that if you don't get "burn", your set was ineffective? When doing more strength oriented rep ranges, you won't get "burn" but, you are still working the muscle effectively and will feel it the next day.

It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish.