Vegan Meal Planning and Prep for Weight Loss

Options
Who has Vegan meal plans for weight loss they'd like to share? Bonus points for shopping lists ☺

Replies

• SarahVanLoo
    SarahVanLoo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Vegans struggle like everyone else to avoid junk food, processed foods and other unhealthy eating habits.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Here's a great shopping list.
    https://ordinaryvegan.net/vegangrocerylist/
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    There is no magic or secret schemes. Weight loss happens over time when you're in a consistent calorie deficit. MFP tells you how much to eat, you decide to stick to that allowance, or not.
    Meal planning is just to decide in advance, when and what to eat.
    If you're a vegan, you don't eat foods derived from animals, so you have to get the range of nutrition you need, from plants. That takes some knowledge and a lot of commitment.
    When you make your meal plan, your shopping list emerges from what you need for those meals, minus the food you already have on hand.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    We lose weight just like everyone else does -- through a calorie deficit.

What are you eating now?
  • Britevylet
    Britevylet Posts: 5 Member
    Options

What are you eating now?

I drink orgain, garden of life or Vega protein shakes, meals are typically tofu, lentil or chickpea based with some type of veggie on the side or all mixed together with a sauce. Snack in veggies and hummus. I eat some fruit but not a lot.

What do you eat
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Britevylet wrote: »

What are you eating now?

I drink orgain, garden of life or Vega protein shakes, meals are typically tofu, lentil or chickpea based with some type of veggie on the side or all mixed together with a sauce. Snack in veggies and hummus. I eat some fruit but not a lot.

What do you eat

I eat just about everything (vegan). Some recent meals are olive tapenade on multi-grain toast, pasta salad with vegetables and black beans, seitan sausage, cranberry orange walnut muffins, carrot-jicima-apple salad with cilantro dressing, philly cheese steak with seitan and vegan cheese on a pretzel roll, teff with vegetables, pasta with jackfruit ragu, blueberry protein muffins, mini peppers stuffed with cashew cheese, broccoli soup, sweet potato skillet hash, and salad with spinach, brazil nuts, black beans, and gazpacho dressing.

To lose weight, you can eat just about anything. You'll just want to make sure you're eating at a deficit. Do you have a calorie goal? If not, you can enter your stats into MFP and get a goal.
  • denisempulli
    denisempulli Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am new to posting here. Am following a whole foods, plant-based diet as closely as possible. The jury's still out as to how well it will work for me.
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I'm currently getting a plant based home delivery service called Veestro. The meals are really good and arrive individually packed and portioned. They have differing delivery intervals and might be a good way to keep weight loss on track (remind us of portions) and keep the variety interesting. Might give them a look.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    @Britevylet
    @denisempulli

It sounds like you're just looking for some ideas? I've opened my diary so you can take a look at what I eat, if you're interested. I do eat more calories than a lot of women (2000) but mostly that's just bigger helpings and you could eat whatever amount fits into your goals.

I should warn you both I'm on a tight budget so there's a fair amount of repetition. It would be hard for any of us to give you a meal plan as what you like is going to depend on your preferences.
  • jewelstam
    jewelstam Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I subscribe to menu plans from clean food dirty girl. They are all whole food plant based meals with no added fats or sugars. The tastes and textures and combinations are amazing. It got us out of our boring dinner rut and away from processed foods. We feel fantastic and so full of health the weeks we do the meal plans. They are all set up as batch cooking recipes. So you batch cook one or two days for the whole week and have your food for the week. Includes shopping lists, batch instructions, and recipes
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    jewelstam wrote: »
    I subscribe to menu plans from clean food dirty girl. They are all whole food plant based meals with no added fats or sugars. The tastes and textures and combinations are amazing. It got us out of our boring dinner rut and away from processed foods. We feel fantastic and so full of health the weeks we do the meal plans. They are all set up as batch cooking recipes. So you batch cook one or two days for the whole week and have your food for the week. Includes shopping lists, batch instructions, and recipes

The recipes contain processed foods though?

(To be clear, they're processed foods that I also eat frequently, things like tofu, soba noodles, canned pumpkin, flavor extracts, plant milks, frozen corn, canned tomatoes, and vegan worcestershire sauce. I think processed foods are a blessing when it comes to conveniently and healthfully meeting our nutritional needs).
  • tamarsmom
    tamarsmom Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    jewelstam wrote: »

I used to subscribe to CFDG as well. Have a lot of recipes saved. Have to agree, they are super delicious. Question: do you enter each recipe and count the calories on MFP? If you have, how were they calorie/fat/carb wise???? I never did... got lazy... thought since they were whole food, plant based, shouldn't be a problem. I actually gained weight..
  • Britevylet
    Britevylet Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    There is a website called verywellfit that I use to plug in.the ingredients, select the portion size and create a nutritional label to get my macros. I'm going to take a look at the diaries offered and see what I steal from it. I'm working with a dietician but she's not giving me meal plans. She's just checking my diary and making suggestions each day.