McMuffin Sausage Egg Cheese Alternative

Options
I went to the store and got the following:

-Sara Lee - Original English Muffin, 1 muffin 140
-Jimmy Dean - Turkey Sausage Patties, 1 Patties 60
-Kraft - Singles American Cheese Sandwich Slices 2%, 1 slice (19g) 45
-Homemade Eggs - Large Scrambled Egg , 1 Egg

The whole thing takes about 5 minutes to make.
Toast the muffin if you like.
Warm up the turkey patty (about 1 min)
in a small bowl or even a cup put some pam or a very small amount of butter or oil. This prevents the egg from sticking to the bowl.
Break and slip one (1) egg in a small bowl or cup and.stir the egg with a fork until all is yellow.
Microwave for 30seconds, then add 10-15 seconds at a time until cooked (solid).

That's all the cooking involved! just put it together and here's how it compares to the junk option:
Columns from left to right are calories, carbs, fat, protein, sodium, cholesterol.
Fiber is equal for both at 2 each.
muffin-sausage-egg-cheese.jpg

Sharing because every little thing or food I can make on my own the more I control my own future.
I hope you find this helpful, and share your own substitutes as well. Thanks.

Replies

• abigailhutch
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this! I love making my own Mcmuffins too! But its great to see how much difference it makes to just make it yourself!
  • deniseg31
    deniseg31 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing!

You know what's also really yummy? Subway's English Muffin Melt and it's only around 160 calories.

English Muffin
    1 slice of ham
    Egg Whites
    Mozzarella Cheese
    Bell Pepper
    Onion
    Tomato
    Sprinkle of Oregano
  • willdbill0712
    willdbill0712 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe. It is the little corners we can cut that help SO much in the long run. Plus the addition of being able to have the taste of the 'junk' food that I miss SO much will also help with not craving to cheat.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, sausage (even turkey sausage) has a lot of fat so you can further reduce the fat content by substituting bacon for sausage. Great recipe idea!! :D
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    i just eat my oatmeal....i'm an old fogie like that.
  • Pril2000
    Pril2000 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Did you just cook an egg in the microwave? I feel like that would take longer than just cracking an egg in a pan.

I've just never heard of such a thing. Lol
  • slim_photographer
    slim_photographer Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Did you just cook an egg in the microwave? I feel like that would take longer than just cracking an egg in a pan.

I've just never heard of such a thing. Lol

I don't know if it's quicker, I think it is. I never cooked eggs in under a minute on the stove, but you get the shape of a patty and for me it's a lot easier to wash a bowl then the a pan.
  • Dkenny74
    Dkenny74 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I melt a little butter in a coffee mug. Put the egg in, poke the yoke (so it doesn't explode). Cook for 45 seconds. Then I put the cheese down first and let egg melt it. Works for me.