Getting Used to Being "Hungry"

Options
Hi all -- I'm new here and have been tracking my food for a week now. I haven't exercised yet but plan to work that in soon. I have about 75 lbs to lose -- the same 75lbs I gained over the past 8 years.

I've gone over my calories every day this week (1350 and I usually end up at 1500-1800) and notice that I am "hungry" all the time. I'm not actually hungry, but I just want to eat. I'm drinking a lot of water because I know that thirst is often mistaken for hunger. It's definitely an adjustment making sure that I think before I eat -- I would usually just eat whatever I want in whatever (usually massive) quantity I want. I'm also not used to the feeling of not being stuffed to the gilders after every meal. I feel really good that I'm keeping track of my intake -- hopefully my body will adjust soon to eating a lot less food. Anyone else deal with this in the beginning?

Just thought I'd share and if anyone has any tips/meal plan for not going over my 1350, I'd really appreciate it.

Replies

• Michelle_M2002
    Michelle_M2002 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    1350 seems really low. Are you sure you are getting enough? I know you want to loose weight, but you have to make sure you are doing it "right" and not starving yourself. If you don't get enough protein your body will break down your muscles to get it. I am NOT trying to discourage you in ANY way. I'm just a fan of HEALTHY weight loss. Curious, where did you get the number 1350 for your calorie needs?

God bless!
  • MamaKatel
    MamaKatel Posts: 180
    Options
    I have the same problem. MFP said I should eat 1200 cals. to lose a pound a week but that was nearly impossible for me. I would workout everyday just to get more calories so I could eat and not feel like I was starving! Well, that didn't work I was still hungry, so I recently upped my calories and changed my settings to .5 pound per week. This is MUCH easier and more attainable for me. I no longer find myself going over the allowed cal. limit.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I could never get used to being hungry. But the "wanting to eat"...THAT I can relate to. I can always eat.
  • fatgirlslove
    fatgirlslove Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I could never get used to being hungry. But the "wanting to eat"...THAT I can relate to. I can always eat.

same here!
  • KevDaniel
    KevDaniel Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I would recommend starting with the exercise since your earn more calories to eat by doing so you will be able to eat more and be less hungry.
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Elle_Jamaicangirl81 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    maybe look at what you're eating... and try to find the healthier substitute for it. It will save you come calories.

Eg. Replacing Regular cream cheese with the fat free or whipped one ... Whole milk w/skim.. things like that.
  • akgrl1020
    akgrl1020 Posts: 179
    Options
    I find whole grains, hearty veggies, and protein keep me feeling full. Also, using a food scale, so that I was assured of proper portion sizes made a huge difference. Good luck!
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I am curious to know what your new total daily calorie is. Mine is currently 1200 as yours was, and although I can usually stick to it, or below, I would be interested to know what you are now doing, since it is easier for you.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    part of the hunger is mental (i.e., its still very recent that you ate whatever you want and now that you aren't doing that, you're still anxious to eat some goodies) and the other part might be what you're eating. some foods simply cause you to crave more food....and those foods typically have a lot of the S word in them...SUGAR.

some basic tips that might help you feel fuller longer, and reduce the cravings:

1. eat some protein with every meal. protein takes longer to digest and, therefore, you aren't hungry as quick.

2. when it comes to carbs, aim for more natural carbs (fruits/veggies) and fewer processed/packaged ones.

3. also, check out a glycemic index and aim for foods in the lower range. those foods lower on the GI do not cause an insulin spike ... and insulin spikes result in cravings.

4. I generally eat 5x per day. I certainly don't eat "perfect" all the time, but I am for healthy eating most of the time. my food journals are public and you're welcome to look at them (I will note that I turned 40 this past Saturday so there are about 5 days of "celebrating" in there that aren't as ideal).
  • ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I routinely eat right at 1000-1200 calories. I usually have a hard time getting more calories than that.

It isn't are you getting enough that you should be asking.... It is WHAT are you getting? If you are eating the right kinds of foods you WILL be eating A LOT of food and having a hard time getting the calories that MFP sets for you.

I can have 6 different helpings of veggies and not break 200 calories in a sitting.

So, check to make sure that you are not wasting your calorie allotment on "junk" calories. Spend them wisely and you will have more than enough to eat.
  • bradlenhart
    Options
    Snacking on things like raw carrots and celery (just about ANY raw vegetables) will keep your stomach occupied, and it's all low-cal stuff... celery actually burns more calories in digestion than you get from it.
  • JeremiahStone
    JeremiahStone Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Try eating more. Sounds like your starving yourself. Eat small but often.
  • theprices
    theprices Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    make your diary public - that way we could see what you are eating and make additional suggestions. i eat ALL day long - never let myself get hungry - i just make sure to chose filling foods that pack a punch!
  • reactor25
    reactor25 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I went over calories quite a bit in the first few weeks and was constantly hungry and I still lost weight. You are not really going that far over your calories. Just keep doing your weekly weigh-in and if you are losing weight eating the amount you are eating now I would not worry about it. As the weight loss slows, then I would slowly lower my calories. When you start out your metabolism is pretty high so you could easily lose weight eating what you are eating now. It takes a while to adjust to the numbers to fit your body and system.
  • Cinnamonie
    Cinnamonie Posts: 138
    Options
    Hello, MFP says 1350 for me too. It was me wanting to lose 2lbs a week, but being lightly active. I do get hungry depending what I eat, and I think it's hunger not thirst cause I feel it in my belly, though I also get the "not hungry, just want to eat" feeling. For me I started actually looking at the success story pictures on this site and it HUGELY helped with my willpower to resist. Also, if I carry around water with a straw then my mouth is constantly doing something, so it doesn't bother me with its boredom and ask for food.

Also what the other poster said about exercising and being able to eat more, that helps too. Definitely hungrier when I eat 1350 only than when I exercise and eat my exercise calories.
  • tgbz86
    tgbz86 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You should be basing your daily limit by your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR)....which means the amount of calories your body needs to function at rest (to maintain vital organ function, blood circulations, oxygen consumption, etc.). BMR is based on surface area, so the larger you are....the more calories your body needs just to maintain those vital functions. You can only decrease from the original amount so much before your body goes into that 'starvation mode' where it holds on to what it's fed.

Also--eat your protein and veggies first on your plate....then carbs as a side bite..not a side dish. And drink water with it all.

I copy/paste this from one of my program lessons:

We want to create custom settings for your daily nutritional goals so it is specifically catered to your fitness goals and body type. First, we want to find your basal metabolic rate (BMR). Your BMR is the level of energy required to sustain vital body functions in a 24 hour period. It is related to your body surface area. These are the amount of calories your body NEEDS to function if you were lounging, watching TV all day.

Calculating Your Own Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR):

First find your height in centimeters [inches x 2.56] and your weight
    in kilograms [lbs / 2.2].

Height (cm)-______________
    Weight (kg)-_______________
    Now use the formula based on your gender:
    MEN: 88.362 + (4.799 x HT) + (13.397 x WT) – (5.677 x AGE) = BMR
    WOMEN: 447.593 + (3.098 x HT) + (9.247 x WT) – (4.330 x AGE) = BMR

My BMR = _____________calories
    *60-90minutes after moderate exercise, your BMR will remain elevated. This means optimal nutritional uptake and you will burn off more of what you consume (within that timeframe only). This is the prime time to have protein shakes or eat nutritional foods and healthy carbs.
    Ask Tracy how many calories you should deduct from this initial BMR value. It will vary for each individual between 0-1,500 calories.

My Net Calories/Day =______________calories
  • jennyonthespot
    jennyonthespot Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    My calorie limit is 1200 and I felt like I was living off air and water for awhile. Once rice cake and a carrot and I was half way there. I exaggerate, but it's close to the truth. You don't get used to feeling hungry, but it does go away. It took like two weeks before my body adjusted to living off 1200 calories. I still splurge a little on the weekends by upping my calorie limit to the amount needed to maintain my weight rather than lose. Keeps me sane and I'm still losing. :-)
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    MFP had my daily calories set to 1200 and i felt like i was about to pass out with that. (i have hypoglycemia, so my blood sugar will drop off and i'll pass out if i don't have anything to eat for a couple hours) i upped my calories to 1350, it's much more manageable for me. if MFP set you at 1350 maybe you wanna up your calories a little more, you might lose a little slower. for me when i upped my calories i started losing faster.
  • Mimi8100
    Mimi8100 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I put in my height/weight and a goal of 2lb weight loss per week and MFP said 1350 a day. If I set my goal at 1lb weight loss per week, MFP said 1850 cals per day.
  • msmandyjo
    msmandyjo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I've found that by being choosy and measuring, I'm seldom actually "hungry"... my problem is just wanting to eat... I might start chewing gum or something. I used to smoke, and I think I inadverently subbed smoking w/ snacking. I find myself aimlessly wandering into my pantry, the same as I used to go outside to smoke if I didn't have anything better to do (or if i was avoiding what I NEEDED to do)... drinking water helps fill you up, if you're actually "hungry" sometimes your body can confuse the signals, and you might actually be thirsty, but it also fills you up too.