Need 40-50 g fat per meal

Options
Hi MFPs!

I'm having to start a new prescription medication that I'll need to take twice a day with a meal. In order to be properly absorbed by the body, each of those meals needs to be high calorie and high fat. It's recommended 800-1000 calories and 40-50 grams of fat per meal.

Any recommendations for meals that fulfill this need while still being relatively healthy? I'm also doing a 15-day bus tour of Europe in a few weeks - any advice of easy, portable meals or supplements I could bring?

Thank you!

Replies

• sw91684
    sw91684 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I would suggest looking for any Keto based recipes as these are high fat. 75% is the daily goal of intake.

Here is a recipe that looks like a great side dish with 22 grams of fat per serving (1/4 cup)

https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2018/04/18/healthy-keto-avocado-hummus
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    How many calories will you eat in total per day? Any restrictions? A 50F 15P 35C split means 111g fat, 75g protein, 175g carbs, if it's 2000 calories, and that translates easily to a delicious, normal diet. You can eat normal food and food you like; lots of variety is best, unless of course there are restrictions you have to adhere to.
  • rj0150684
    rj0150684 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I love to have a couple of slices of a nice crusty bread and dip it in olive oil while I eat it. Maybe with some herbs/spices in the oil. I don’t do it much because it’s so easy to add a ton of calories, but that sounds like it might work for you. Every tablespoon of olive oil has about 14g fat. Can easily do 2-3tbsp with 2 pieces of bread and it goes pretty well on the side of basically any meal.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    So, per meal, you need 360 - 450 calories from fat. It's doable, but it'll require some planning. Sandwiches are going to be an easy way to go since you can load up with full-fat sauce, cheese and high fat meats.

peanut butter and jelly
    salami, cheese and mayo
    sausage, cheese and alfredo
    hamburger, avocado and ranch
    bacon, hummus and avocado

Drink a cup of full fat milk with each meal. Eat a handful of nuts too!

For breakfast

toast and peanut butter, side of bacon, and a glass of milk
    eggs, cheese, bacon, avocado scrambled and buttered toast
    granola, full fat milk, full fat yogurt and a handful of nuts

Hopefully you like high-fat foods!
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    I’m confused as to why you need so much fat for the medication? Did your doctor explain the reasoning? I’m curious
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,995 Member
    Options
    Best bets:
    Guacamole
    Hummus (basically olive oil and sesame paste), Olive oil or olives
    Walnuts
    Nuts
    Nut butters

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    For your trip you might want to get assorted sausages. Many are shelf stable and they can get you to your fat goals with less food leaving you room for fruits and vegetables.
  • Lyrica7
    Lyrica7 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Google fat bomb recipes, add avocado to your meals or butter and heavy cream if possible. If you can stomach it you can also take a spoonful of coconut oil with your meds
  • swordnsandal
    swordnsandal Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so, so much for your help and suggestions! I really appreciate it and these have really helped me start meal planning. I honestly got a little mentally overwhelmed initially, but this has made it all seem more approachable.
  • swordnsandal
    swordnsandal Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I’m confused as to why you need so much fat for the medication? Did your doctor explain the reasoning? I’m curious

The medication I'm on is lipophilic - essentially highly fat soluble. Studies have shown that when taken without the fat, less than half of the medication gets absorbed. There is a version of the same medication that requires a lot less fat, but after trying that for three months, my doctor determined it wasn't effective for me.