Mother's Day Pot Luck

Options
lalee115
lalee115 Posts: 185 Member
Hello! I am looking for ideas for mother's day lunch with my family! I want to take a side dish and possibly a dessert. (They are having ham and rotisserie chicken.) Needs to feed about 10-15 people and travel an hour and a half. Thanks in advance for ideas!!

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    You leaning towards vegetable or starch? Cold or warm? Trying to go 'light' at all? Very kid friendly?
  • lalee115
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    You leaning towards vegetable or starch? Cold or warm? Trying to go 'light' at all? Very kid friendly?

Yes, trying to keep it low-cal! There will be kids there, but not terribly picky ones. Otherwise, I'm open to all options.
  • NovusDies
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Ok, I can't help you with desserts because that is not my area...

Start with 3 cold and 3 hot:

Cold barley salad with peas and carrots.
    Quick pickled red cabbage
    Pineapple Slaw
    Roasted root vegetables
    Sweet potato logs
    Roasted Asparagus with Parm

ETA Obviously the cold options will be the easiest to make and transport the best.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,986 Member
    Options
    Salads are always good as sides. You can make your own mixed greens salad or, if you are short on time, get one of those salad "kits" from the store that comes with everything you need. If you go that way, I'd wait until you got to your destination before mixing it up so it doesn't get soggy.

A fruit salad might be nice for dessert. Mixed berries or any fruit combo that you like. Nice and easy and travels well.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I usually bring Prosciutto wrapped asparagus or some sort of non green salad like orzo with diced veggies, goat cheese and herbs, or black beans and corn with peppers, avocado, cilantro.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Agree with the angel food cake with whipped cream and berries all in individual containers so people can add it separately. You could make a pan of brownies too.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    Salads are always good as sides. You can make your own mixed greens salad or, if you are short on time, get one of those salad "kits" from the store that comes with everything you need. If you go that way, I'd wait until you got to your destination before mixing it up so it doesn't get soggy.

A fruit salad might be nice for dessert. Mixed berries or any fruit combo that you like. Nice and easy and travels well.

The problem with salads is that someone that spent an hour preparing their dish will give you the stink eye for throwing some ingredients in a bowl. Obviously with chopping and if you make your own dressing that is not really the case but family politics can be BRUTAL.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I always take a tray of raw veggies when given the chance. Nearly everybody on both sides of my family will munch off of it all day. That and fruit skewers seem to be big hits.
  • MimiFries
    MimiFries Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Take ready made phyllo tarts and fill with strawberries or lemon etc.
  • lalee115
    Options
    Take ready made phyllo tarts and fill with strawberries or lemon etc.

Mmm this sounds yummy!

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I will bake sweet potatoes in the crockpot and take angel food cake with the toppings on the side.