My periods keep getting shorter...

Options
I used to be a 35 day girl, since I started losing weight, I've now had 30, 27, 24 and now a 21 day cycle. Has anyone else experienced this?? It feels like I'm always on now

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    How old are you?
  • G8r4evr
    G8r4evr Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Almost 39
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Make an appointment with your gynecologist. It’s possible that it could come from stress. It could also be a sign of an infection.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    edited May 2018
    Options
    G8r4evr wrote: »
    Almost 39

I'd check with your gynecologist. You are a bit young for perimenopause, which was my first thought (your symptoms are common for that). While some hormonal upheaval can possibly be expected with weight loss, it wouldn't hurt to have things checked out with your doctor.
  • G8r4evr
    Options
    Yeah, I was wondering about peri too. Apparently, it's possible at my age...especially since I started at 10. It's just weird that they shortened at the exact same time I started dieting.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options
    Yeah, I was wondering about peri too. Apparently, it's possible at my age...especially since I started at 10. It's just weird that they shortened at the exact same time I started dieting.

Yes, it is possible. I had early peri, but don't assume everyone else is like me ;) Mine dragged out though, and I had both my kids during it!
  • G8r4evr
    Options
    Love the weight loss, but I miss my longer cycle.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Mine changed after I had my son. I used to have a full 28 days off between hell weeks, now it's the more standard 28 day complete cycle, but my 'on' days have come down from 7 to 4, so there's that!
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I’m 43 and about 2 years ago my periods went from being consistently always every 28 days to being unpredictable every 25, 23, 21 days. After mentioning it to my gyno and getting checked up, the doc said there’s no problem as long as it doesn’t go less than every 21 days or last longer than a week because it can cause anemia or be a symptom of other problems. Definitely get checked out and mention it to your doctor.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Love the weight loss, but I miss my longer cycle.

How much have you lost? I'm thinking it would have to be a very large amount in a fairly short time to have an impact on your cycles that would be so drastic, but I'm just spitballing here.

Definitely do talk to your doctor.
  • G8r4evr
    Options
    I'm down 38 lbs since January. I just assumed the weight loss was the cause because the change in length happened at the same time, but I'm reading it may be the anti anxiety medicine I'm on as well..
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I agree with the standard "talk to your doctor" advice...always a smart idea.

However, I wanted to chime in here because I always had about 30 days between the end of one period and beginning of the next. I started menstruating at age 13-14 and that was pretty much like clockwork the entire time, up until age 35 when I'd lost over 100 lb. I am 41 now and since age 35-36 when I lost the majority of my excess weight, it's roughly 21-24 days between the end of one period and beginning of the next.

Doctor is unconcerned and I'm not in perimenopause according to her. No other symptoms.

A friend lost 90 lb and her periods went from every 28-32 days to every 21 days like clockwork. Her doctor is also unconcerned. Just for whatever it's worth, a couple more anecdotes from the internet...
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options
    I'm down 38 lbs since January. I just assumed the weight loss was the cause because the change in length happened at the same time, but I'm reading it may be the anti anxiety medicine I'm on as well..

The plot thickens! Do talk to you doctor, just to ease your mind at the very least.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I've always had 25-28 day cycles. After about 40 pounds lost they started to come every 21 days. Have been that way every since. And they last 7 days. Lighter, less painful and more tolerable. But long and not far between. Doctor said it was fine. Said anything shorter than 21 days or a period longer than 7 days is an issue.
  • G8r4evr
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Thanks so much ladies. You've definitely eased my mind. When we were trying to conceive my long cycles seemed like a curse, now I actually miss them!! Every 21 days...ugh, mine are usually 7 days too, it's like no break ;(
  • rose2_0
    rose2_0 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Mine gets wonky with weight loss/deficit.

I just wish it would go away honestly.
  • Lyrica7
    Lyrica7 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Mine was at 40 start of a long perimenopause and fibroids-time for s checkup maybe?
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much ladies. You've definitely eased my mind. When we were trying to conceive my long cycles seemed like a curse, now I actually miss them!! Every 21 days...ugh, mine are usually 7 days too, it's like no break ;(

Big hugs! It's the worst!! And I get bloated a few days before, the entire week of and when I ovulate. Currently have about 10 days per month when I see the scale go down. I know it's all normal and blah blah blah, but some times it's so frustrating!!
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options

Big hugs! It's the worst!! And I get bloated a few days before, the entire week of and when I ovulate. Currently have about 10 days per month when I see the scale go down. I know it's all normal and blah blah blah, but some times it's so frustrating!!

Same here! I have a 28-day cycle, and my water retention lasts for 10 days at the start, and at mid-cycle (I don't ovulate, but still get mid-cycle retention), so there are *two* days in between from the start of the month until the 20th or so, and then I have 10 days to show any losses in between... It *sucks*.