Getting Used to Being "Hungry"

Options
2»

Replies

• kellieprindle
    kellieprindle Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, when your body switches to burning fat reserves for energy the result is hunger. Your body tells you it's hungry so you will eat and not use those precious reserves. The problem is that if you are overweight...the reserves are not so precious!! It is rough in the beginning, but hunger is inevitable :grumble:

1628192.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • msmandyjo
    msmandyjo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, when your body switches to burning fat reserves for energy the result is hunger. Your body tells you it's hungry so you will eat and not use those precious reserves. The problem is that if you are overweight...the reserves are not so precious!! It is rough in the beginning, but hunger is inevitable :grumble:

1628192.png

Does that mean, that even though I'm w/in my calories, I should eat less if I'm not feeling hungry between meals?
  • treehugginpam
    treehugginpam Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Like the others have said, you'll probably want to play around with the calorie amount to see what works for you. I have about 75 pounds to lose too, and when I started my calories were set at 1400. I was losing super sloooooooowly, if at all, so I took other people's suggestions and upped my calories to about 1800, sometimes less, sometimes more (always more on the weekends). That gave me a HUGE boost! I lost 4 pounds the first week I upped my calories, and it's been a constant downhill since then. So I get to eat more AND lose more! Who would've thought? :)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I put in my height/weight and a goal of 2lb weight loss per week and MFP said 1350 a day. If I set my goal at 1lb weight loss per week, MFP said 1850 cals per day.

I would stick with 1# week. or try splitting the difference. That should help a lot with the hunger, while also still being in a caloric deficit.
  • kellieprindle
    Options
    msmandyjo, I would have to say, listen to your body...if you are losing weight and not feeling hunger, then you are one of the lucky ones! Most, however, find hunger hard to avoid...especially in the beginning.

1628192.png
  • mafeld28
    Options
    My tips:

* Gum
    * Warm drinks (i.e. tea, coffee, ect.)
    * Crunchy, non- guilty snacks (i.e. carrots, celery, ect.)
    * Stay as busy as possible (instead of taking a lunch out, walk during your lunch break & eat at your desk, for some reason makes time go by much faster)

Hope that helps!!
  • ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    msmandyjo, I would have to say, listen to your body...if you are losing weight and not feeling hunger, then you are one of the lucky ones! Most, however, find hunger hard to avoid...especially in the beginning.

I must be a lucky one. I have rarely felt hungry on my journey. I just spent my calorie allotment wisely on the right kinds of foods which meant I was eating more than I ever had and still under. When I did feel hungry was at night right before bed and that was because I have a rule that I do not eat after 5pm.
  • kellieprindle
    Options
    Congrats shrinkingninja, I have the same rule!

1628192.png
  • Mimi8100
    Mimi8100 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Not eating after 5pm. Wow -- I WISH I had that kind of discipline. I could eat my entire 1350 in the evenings after work (in fact, before this week - I probably was eating an additional 1350 in the evenings!).

I have a ton of fruit/vegetable allergies, so unfortunately I can't nosh on carrots or have an apple to tide me over until the next meal. I'm not allergic to celery though. I just need to plan better next week. I can definitely do the hot drinks too - that has worked for me in the past.

Thanks everyone for your replies (and keep them coming)! This seems to be a really amazing community! Glad I found it!
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    MFP has me set for 1200 calories and some days I don't reach that and not hungry. The reason; *what* I'm eating. 50% of my calories are fat, 30% protein ... these foods are more satisfying and stay with you longer. Fat does not make you fat. Make sure it's healthy fats, and avoid anything with sugar in it. That just drive hunger, adds empty calories and has zero nutritional benefit. My diary is open if you want to look.
  • Mimi8100
    Mimi8100 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    MFP has me set for 1200 calories and some days I don't reach that and not hungry. The reason; *what* I'm eating. 50% of my calories are fat, 30% protein ... these foods are more satisfying and stay with you longer. Fat does not make you fat. Make sure it's healthy fats, and avoid anything with sugar in it. That just drive hunger, adds empty calories and has zero nutritional benefit. My diary is open if you want to look.

I just looked at your food diary and it made me hungry...especially the chicken broth for lunch day...hahhahahhha!
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    You should be basing your daily limit by your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR)....which means the amount of calories your body needs to function at rest (to maintain vital organ function, blood circulations, oxygen consumption, etc.). BMR is based on surface area, so the larger you are....the more calories your body needs just to maintain those vital functions. You can only decrease from the original amount so much before your body goes into that 'starvation mode' where it holds on to what it's fed.

Also--eat your protein and veggies first on your plate....then carbs as a side bite..not a side dish. And drink water with it all.

I copy/paste this from one of my program lessons:

We want to create custom settings for your daily nutritional goals so it is specifically catered to your fitness goals and body type. First, we want to find your basal metabolic rate (BMR). Your BMR is the level of energy required to sustain vital body functions in a 24 hour period. It is related to your body surface area. These are the amount of calories your body NEEDS to function if you were lounging, watching TV all day.

Calculating Your Own Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR):

First find your height in centimeters [inches x 2.56] and your weight
    in kilograms [lbs / 2.2].

Height (cm)-______________
    Weight (kg)-_______________
    Now use the formula based on your gender:
    MEN: 88.362 + (4.799 x HT) + (13.397 x WT) – (5.677 x AGE) = BMR
    WOMEN: 447.593 + (3.098 x HT) + (9.247 x WT) – (4.330 x AGE) = BMR

My BMR = _____________calories
    *60-90minutes after moderate exercise, your BMR will remain elevated. This means optimal nutritional uptake and you will burn off more of what you consume (within that timeframe only). This is the prime time to have protein shakes or eat nutritional foods and healthy carbs.
    Ask Tracy how many calories you should deduct from this initial BMR value. It will vary for each individual between 0-1,500 calories.

My Net Calories/Day =______________calories

this formula says my BMR is 4564?? i've never seen a number that high before. i normally get around 2300 on other website calculators.
  • MamaMizzle
    MamaMizzle Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    It usually takes me about 3 days of being committed to staying within my calorie allowence and then I get use to the smaller amounts of food and feel less like I'm hungry. Really, exercise is what is going to make the "dieting" process so much easier because the more you exercise the more calories you can consume and you will still lose weight! I have a much harder time staying within my calories on days that I don't exercise.
  • kellieprindle
    Options
    zeromilediet, wow that is a VERY healthy log! Not sure I could keep that kind of dedication! ...a raw lime...really? hehehe

1628192.png
  • Jycooper
    Jycooper Posts: 195
    Options
    I had the same problem until someone suggested I up my fiber. I have increased the fiber in the diet and it helps a lot. I dont get hungry as quick. This site gives a list of foods that are high in fiber:
    http://commonsensehealth.com/Diet-and-Nutrition/List_of_High_Fiber_Foods.shtml.
    Hope this helps you :)