Are supliments healthy?

Options
leda1515
leda1515 Posts: 8 Member
I have been thinking about supliments and since I have ostheoartritis and acidic body, are they healthy? What damage can they produce on a longer term? What are they doing to the liver and other organs? Can they cause cancer on long term?
Sorry guys for so many questions, but if someone of you know the answer, please let me know.

Replies

• lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Until someone who knows answers, what type of supplements?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    The questions are far too broad and lacking in context for anybody to be able to give any kind of relevant answer.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Supplements are not tightly regulated and do not have to prove their claims in the same way as medicine, thus some are harmful, some are helpful, and most are useless.

The only thing to do is research any studies that have been done on the specific supplement you are interested in - but that requires a sophisticated ability to read and judge scientific studies and sort valid studies from nonsense.

In general, unless you have a particular need which you cannot meet through food, you might as well save your money.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I really like @nutmegoreo reply.

If you are looking for a regimen to support care for your arthritis I think a mild exercise program that can include walking, swimming and yoga, along with plenty of water, can help.

Glucosamine hasn’t been thoroughly tested but it also doesn’t seem to have any harmful effects in smaller doses.

https://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/supplement-guide-glucosamine
  • duskyjewel
    duskyjewel Posts: 286 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    What is "Acidic body" ?

It's woo used to sell high priced "alkaline water" to people who don't understand that your lungs and kidneys keep your internal pH strictly controlled within an extremely tight range.

http://dept.harpercollege.edu/chemistry/chm/100/dgodambe/thedisk/bloodbuf/zback.htm
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I think if you're managing a diagnosed medical condition you should ask your doctor this question. In general, supplements aren't unhealthy, but with a balanced diet, they are largely unnecessary
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Another vote for examine.com. You can read up on all the supplements...
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I am of the mind-set that supplements are just that....supplements. Have you had any blood work done to determine if you are deficient in something? That is where I would start. But that is just me.

And, what was your thought process on this? Is it that you are looking - for example - to take some whey protein to make sure that you get your needed dose of protein per day (possibly a 'convenience' thing more than anything else?).

And, not being critical - just trying to understand the need for supplements....