Weight loss success at 68

Options
jonason62
jonason62 Posts: 14 Member
I have struggled to lose more than half a stone since my 40's. I had a healthy diet and was physically active but clearly must have been consuming just too many calories per day. I started using a gym from my mid-50s, and also cycled to work most days, but still couldn't shift much weight - unless I counted calories. However, I found this difficult to sustain. Just 3 months ago I discovered MFP and started to plan my gym work outs, incorporating strength training, as well as count the daily calories. I am now just a few pounds from my target weight, have lost 4 inches off the hips, 2 off the waist and 2 off the thighs. I have also gone down 2 bra cup sizes. But - when my friends ask me how I have achieved this, they all say there is no way they are prepared to count calories! Well, it is a bit tedious. You often have to scroll through all those American branded products to find the item you want. Working out the calories of a home-prepared meal with a lot of ingredients is very time-consuming. However, once you have worked out calories for a range of your regular meals, the work is done. I don't obsess too much about meals out, just try to opt for a healthy choice and avoid a dessert, and no more than 1 glass of wine.

Replies

• booksgiver
    booksgiver Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'll be 68 soon and I'm not going to give up either. Calorie information can now be easily attained, even for may restaurants. I also tend to eat the same foods frequently. You're doing great!
  • jonason62
    jonason62 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have found that the nutritional info of the food you enter isn't always correct. EG quinoa is supposed to have a lot of protein, but whenever I enter it, it comes up as zero protein. As an almost-vegan, I am finding it hard to consume enough protein per day. Nuts etc are very high in calories and give me indigestion if I have too many.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    jonason62 wrote: »
    I have found that the nutritional info of the food you enter isn't always correct. EG quinoa is supposed to have a lot of protein, but whenever I enter it, it comes up as zero protein. As an almost-vegan, I am finding it hard to consume enough protein per day. Nuts etc are very high in calories and give me indigestion if I have too many.
    Most items in the database are user entered so you need to be careful to pick accurate ones.

Personally, I've entered most of the foods that I eat into My Foods without sharing with the database. That way, I can customize the name and know that the nutrition info has been entered correctly and no one else can edit it.