Weightlifting with tendinitis.

Options
Anyone have experience or tips with this? I’m doing ChaLEAN Extreme (I know, I know. Beachbody. Whatever. I’m not doing the nutrition, I just like the videos.

Replies

• SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    First, I started my fitness journey with Insanity. Beach body has some great workouts. I never did any of the food programs either.

I lift 3 days a week followed by boxing and have developed chronic tendinitis in my right shoulder. I have seen my doctor and met with PT. The guidance they gave was that I #1 needed to rest it more often, I had been hitting the weights 5 days a week when the problem first developed, and #2 switch my focus from weight to range of motion when it is inflamed. It hurts and sometimes I can’t even take my own shirt off. My doctor had been pretty adamant that of there is any pain I need to stop. Often at the gym with my group now I will go lower on weight or even just mimic the motions with no weight to maintain range of motion. Sometimes I just have to skip a lift. Lowering the bar in bench press is one that often hurts and since my shoulder has been inflamed recently I have skipped benching the past 2 weeks and done other stuff instead.

I also ice and take Motrin after every workout even if it doesn’t hurt just to avoid and keep inflammation down. I got a special shoulder brace from Amazon that holds an ice pack perfectly in place that has helped a lot
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i have been off-again-on-again nursing a 'tendinopathy' for several months. probably be fixed by now if i were/had been able to produce more consistency in the work.

i believe in my sports-doc's prescription of 'don't do the things that make it hurt', on experience. not 'don't do them to extremes' or 'don't do them without resting and icing etc in between'. just don't do them, period. ymmv but i tried the half-measures approach on my own for six months previously, before i knew what was causing it all. and six months of go easy then rest then go easy then ice . . . it just got me six months of marking time iyam. didn't get any worse, really. but neither did it ever get better or even begin to improve. and still i was not able to cycle or lift.

what i do do instead is eccentric loading of the precisely-affected muscles. that DOES actively help and it does seem to be producing active improvement as well. the paradoxical thing is that doing those rehabby drills hurts like hell, too. but it hurts in the moment and for a w hile afterwards, and then it clears up. i still haven't tested any of the improvements out with the stuff that i used to do, but just getting improvement is quite a big thing for me.
  • SCoil123
    Options
    i have been off-again-on-again nursing a 'tendinopathy' for several months. probably be fixed by now if i were/had been able to produce more consistency in the work.

i believe in my sports-doc's prescription of 'don't do the things that make it hurt', on experience. not 'don't do them to extremes' or 'don't do them without resting and icing etc in between'. just don't do them, period. ymmv but i tried the half-measures approach on my own for six months previously, before i knew what was causing it all. and six months of go easy then rest then go easy then ice . . . it just got me six months of marking time iyam. didn't get any worse, really. but neither did it ever get better or even begin to improve. and still i was not able to cycle or lift.

what i do do instead is eccentric loading of the precisely-affected muscles. that DOES actively help and it does seem to be producing active improvement as well. the paradoxical thing is that doing those rehabby drills hurts like hell, too. but it hurts in the moment and for a w hile afterwards, and then it clears up. i still haven't tested any of the improvements out with the stuff that i used to do, but just getting improvement is quite a big thing for me.

What’s eccentric loading?
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »

It's when you put two 20KG plates on one end and 8 5KG plates on the other ;)
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Options
    Anyone have experience or tips with this? I’m doing ChaLEAN Extreme (I know, I know. Beachbody. Whatever. I’m not doing the nutrition, I just like the videos.

In which tendons do you have tendinitis? (Elbows, Achilles, Rotator Cuff etc)

Is the tendinitis a symptom of lifting or a pre-existing condition you want to lift with? (i.e did it start when you started lifting?)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    When I developed Achilles tendinitis, both my doctor and physical therapist told me to continue lifting as long as my pain didn't get above a certain threshold. I did and after about 6 weeks, which included some PT, it diminished greatly. I never ended up having to stop lifting.
  • marywilliams6212
    marywilliams6212 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Apparently this didn’t post everything I wrote. Oops! Sorry. Newbie. I have tendinitis in my left arm from being a percussionist. Mostly hurts in my left wrist area and only on reverse grip lifts. Started after I bumped up a bit in weights. (Nothing big, only went from 5 to 7.5. Like I said, newbie.) I try to keep my grip loose so I know I’m not overgripping. Should I just swap out lifts when it’s a reverse grip for now?
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Apparently this didn’t post everything I wrote. Oops! Sorry. Newbie. I have tendinitis in my left arm from being a percussionist. Mostly hurts in my left wrist area and only on reverse grip lifts. Started after I bumped up a bit in weights. (Nothing big, only went from 5 to 7.5. Like I said, newbie.) I try to keep my grip loose so I know I’m not overgripping. Should I just swap out lifts when it’s a reverse grip for now?

I would swap avoid the reverse grip for right now. I had tendinitis that effected my wrists and I needed to be careful with push ups and any other exercise that took my wrist out of a neutral position.

Are you seeing a physical or occupational therapist for this? Do they have you using a hard brace? Do you still play?
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    If possible, I'd see a sports medicine doctor. Also there is this stuff called KT tape which is useful for wrapping body parts that need support. They have a web site with directions for how to apply the sports tape to address various problems. You can usually find house brands of the sports tape for cheaper. I actually get it at the Food Lion. XD
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

I think what @canadianlbs was talking about was doing only the eccentric portion of the movement. Each lift has a concentric and eccentric portion. Take a bicep curl. Concentric going up, eccentric going down. So you can use two arms to get the weight in the fully up position and then slowly lower in the eccentric movement with one arm. I do this for my rotator cuff. Using a resistance band, I arm locked to side in a 90deg bend I step out until there is sufficient resistance, then slowly bring my hand across my body.
  • SCoil123
    Options

I think what @canadianlbs was talking about was doing only the eccentric portion of the movement. Each lift has a concentric and eccentric portion. Take a bicep curl. Concentric going up, eccentric going down. So you can use two arms to get the weight in the fully up position and then slowly lower in the eccentric movement with one arm. I do this for my rotator cuff. Using a resistance band, I arm locked to side in a 90deg bend I step out until there is sufficient resistance, then slowly bring my hand across my body.

How would this work with bench press? The one movement that always triggers pain for me still is when I lower the bar. I get half way down and the pain shoots the length of my arm. Once its to my chest and getting it up is no problem
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Options

It was a joke hence the emoticon
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,547 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I have both tennis elbow and golfer's elbow, so elbow sleeves help alot. Mostly because they keep the joint warm. If it's your wrist, wrist supports should help.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• tropicalchicy
    tropicalchicy Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I suffered from this a few years ago when I used to lift weights. I believe it was from a combination of bad ergonomics and long hours at work and lifting weights.

I went to a physiotherapist who helped by providing stretches to work on along with massage during the appointments. When it started to feel better I saw a PT who gave me a plan that wouldn't aggravate my wrist.

In the end, I got bored of the gym and weight lifting. I now do yoga which I find to be less strenuous on my wrists depending on the options I take.

So yeah, definitely see a physiotherapist if its bugging you!!!!!
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I have it on my left wrist... its a pain in the *kitten*. Wrist support helps but want to do more pushups and it burns.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    Is it an injury that needs rehabbing or a chronic condition? I have an inherited (thanks, Dad) problem with all my joints and I have to go slow, sometimes starting with bands, to build up the muscles. Some stuff I just can't do like lift much weight with my hands above my ears. OTOH, if it is an injury that needs rehabbed, then rehab it before trying to work it hard. See a orthopedist, preferably one who is a sports doc. Do some PT and fix the problem. I get in for PT from time to time and it does help with chronic conditions as well, but it is a no brainer to do it for an injury (one that occured slowly is still an injury).