Heart rate and cardio

Options
Gracecakes29
Gracecakes29 Posts: 11 Member

Does anyone’s heart rate go into the cardio zone while lifting weights? Mine does, and my question is: should i be doing actual cardio? Even though i can get my heart rate into cardio zone while lifting weights?

Replies

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    What weights are you lifting that get you into the cardio heart range?

Like are you juggling dumbbells or something?

Just from personal experience, it takes a bit to get into the cardio range, something lifting weights does not do and certainly not for long periods of time where it might count as cardio.
  • bojack3
    bojack3 Posts: 1,483 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »

Just from personal experience, it takes a bit to get into the cardio range, something lifting weights does not do and certainly not for long periods of time where it might count as cardio.

You can do HIIT with lifting. It's an Anaerobic workout that combines cardio wiith resistance.
  • hoofman04
    hoofman04 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Yes you should do cardio to build a stronger heart andd focus on breathing. Plus it burns good calories.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »

If you're doing 1x5 with your 3RM or 90% 1RM -or- 3x5 with 75-85% of your 1RM, You'll get into the top edge of that "cardio range" Some people have reported HRM reading of 110% of max HR when doing a Max attempt.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Does anyone’s heart rate go into the cardio zone while lifting weights? Mine does, and my question is: should i be doing actual cardio? Even though i can get my heart rate into cardio zone while lifting weights?

Is it sustained though? My HR will shoot up during a lift and then come down in between sets. Unless you're doing circuits and not stopping (which would be cardio with resistance) than I wouldn't think you HR would be elevated for a sustained period of time like it is with an actual cardiovascular workout. You're still getting some cardiovascular benefit, but not the same as if you were doing actual cardiovascular exercise. Kinda like you get some resistance doing the elliptical, but it isn't going to result in the same kind of muscle development as actually doing resistance training.
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    If you are getting the results you want then keep it up. There isn't a one size fits all workout or diet so find what works for you and keeps you motivated and run with it.
  • ChaelAZ
    ChaelAZ Posts: 2,240 Member
    Options
    a well-rounded health program will include steady state cardio of some type, but if you are happy with what you do then it is not required.