Cheat days?

Options
TheOnyxStar
TheOnyxStar Posts: 19 Member
Not sure if this is where this goes but here we are :tongue:

Do you guys track on the weekends? I find it harder to track on the weekends cuz my meals/mealtimes aren't as structured as during the week. I don't necessarily pig out, I actually eat less. I don't track and then get back to it during the weekdays (or try to at least).

Who has cheat days? If you do it is a one day, two? If not, do you just plan for anything special? (movie nights, parties, drinks with friends, vacays etc.)

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I track every day. I don't have a social life and work weekends, so it's easy. And no cheat days...I work foods into my weekly calorie goal. Vacations I set take a diet break and set to maintenance.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    BTW, you said you eat less on your weekends.. If it works for you, then go for it. If you find your weight loss stalling or going up, then you know you need to tighten up on your logging and include every day.
  • indiacaitlin
    indiacaitlin Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I always track on weekends, I saw a great infographic about the work week dieter and how not tracking/overeating every weekend can really mess up your calorie deficit! Since reading that I worked on my macros and get the food I crave into my calories and don't feel the need to have a massive blow out.
  • sarahjanes25
    sarahjanes25 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on if you’re exercising.
    My fiancé has lost 6 and a half stone using MFP and he never tracked on the weekends. They were always for the lads, beer, pizza etc
    However Monday to Friday he logged everything and exercised everyday so at the weekend he was eating his accumulated exercise calories.
    I’ve started now and I’ve lost 35lb so far doing a similar thing. You could always have a day in the week where you have maintenance calories so you are still tracking but having a bit more
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    I track every day and everything. I might skip a meal or something but mostly I'm on here working hard to lose weight so I make sure I track. I keep up with my exercise too. I try not to let the "weekend" mentality get to me, b/c for me this is my life now, not just some fad thing I'm doing.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    If you are eating less on these days, why would it be a cheat day in the first place? :)

I assume you are here because you're unhappy with your current weight, and that suggests your view of how much you eat may be distorted. Especially if you are just getting started (as the forum category implies), it's important that you get to know exactly where your calories are coming from and where the extra ones are sneaking in. It's really impossible to do this without logging faithfully, preferably with the use of a food scale. As was said, you can do it your way, but if you find you aren't making the progress you want, this is what you'll need to come back to. Personally, I would want the actual data :)

And as you touched on in your post, there are many situations/special events in life where we might want to have a more relaxed approach to our food intake. But doing that too often, and/or not planning for them in advance, is what landed many here in the first place
  • AmChristo91
    AmChristo91 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I gave myself a limit to only have 4 total cheat meals (not days) out of the month. So far I haven't used any of them but it's nice knowing I have them, just in case. If I'm stuck in a social situation where I have to go out and I need to eat, I get the healthiest possible food I can (Usually ends up being a salad with no dressing/toppings)

My sister is having a graduation dinner next weekend that will involve a place that doesn't really serve a healthy option so I'm choosing that as a cheat meal. If I know that's its going to be huge calories wise, I choose to fast until I get the meal. I'll still log it because there's no use lying about it, it doesn't do me any good to pretend I didn't eat it.
  • mictdave
    mictdave Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I don’t have cheat days but on the weekends I have a cheat meal. I’m very strict during the week, on the weekends I don’t pig out but I’ll have a cheeseburger and fries, or a few slices of pizza, or tacos. Every two weeks I eat a desert. It’s like a reward, gives me something to look forward to. I still track those days just to see how bad it is. I also fast the day after a cheat meal which really helps reset my body, and I drink plenty of water on all days but especially the day after a cheat meal.
  • serindipte
    Options
    mictdave wrote: »
    I don’t have cheat days but on the weekends I have a cheat meal. I’m very strict during the week, on the weekends I don’t pig out but I’ll have a cheeseburger and fries, or a few slices of pizza, or tacos. Every two weeks I eat a desert. It’s like a reward, gives me something to look forward to. I still track those days just to see how bad it is. I also fast the day after a cheat meal which really helps reset my body, and I drink plenty of water on all days but especially the day after a cheat meal.

Not questioning your methods, but I'm curious.. How 'bad' is your intake on the days you eat those things listed? Are you really that far over your goal calories to suggest you would need a fasting day? The reason I ask is because I eat those things when I want them, just by fitting them into my daily calorie count. I get that some people want a whole pizza or nothing at all, but you did mention a few pieces.
  • mictdave
    mictdave Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    serindipte wrote: »
    mictdave wrote: »

Not questioning your methods, but I'm curious.. How 'bad' is your intake on the days you eat those things listed? Are you really that far over your goal calories to suggest you would need a fasting day? The reason I ask is because I eat those things when I want them, just by fitting them into my daily calorie count. I get that some people want a whole pizza or nothing at all, but you did mention a few pieces.

Calorie wise my intake on those days aren’t bad, but my carbohydrates on those days are way more then I usually take in. During the week I keep my carbs at 100 grams or below each day. So with that cheat meal or pizza binge the carbs jump significantly. Fasting the day after resets me....it gets me back on track, it just feels good to completely empty my stomach. Its what works for me.
  • Kirk_1967
    Kirk_1967 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm going to sart my count on a Friday - that way if I go rogue during the weekend then I can adjust the rest if the weeks intake to make my weeks target. (Well that's the plan
  • serindipte
    Options
    Kirk_1967 wrote: »
    I'm going to sart my count on a Friday - that way if I go rogue during the weekend then I can adjust the rest if the weeks intake to make my weeks target. (Well that's the plan

I prefer to bank my calories ahead of time. That's just me though.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    serindipte wrote: »
    Kirk_1967 wrote: »

I prefer to bank my calories ahead of time. That's just me though.

Yeah. Mentally for me it is like saving up to buy something good as opposed to paying off something I have already discarded.

Like you this is a personal preference.

• zokaluse
    zokaluse Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat day and log it..after the last 3 weekends of cheat days I’m now only allowing a cheat meal x1 a week (unless it’s a very special occasion or I’m on holiday) as I put back on what I’ve lost the previous week then lose 2ibs over night the night after eating naughty (maybe mash or sautéed potatoes, meat in a creamy sauce, a dessert & few alcoholic drinks of prosecco or Sancerre or vodka & maybe an ice cream if it’s hot or french bread sandwhich for lunch that type of food) then the rest plus maybe 1ib if I’m lucky is off by the following weekend then at least 4ibs back on each weekend!

I’ll be allowing myself a naughty lunch or dinner not both & no dessert at dinner if Ive had ice cream earlier .. see if that makes a difference.

How do you save calories for maintenance? Daily I ‘quick add’ as hardly ever do I eat my 1200 calories (medically given my calories of 800-1000 a day as I’m 4ft 10, size 1 feet & very small boned - my 9yr Old is up to the top of my shoulders & she’s just under average height for her age, adding this for those who will tell me off for not eating enough but I assure you all it is nutritionalist, dietician & Dr agreed 800 if I want to loose weight 1000 to maintain if I’m exercising & not dieting)