Should I weigh or not? How accurate is it for weight loss?

Options
Sir3am
Sir3am Posts: 19 Member
edited May 2018 in Motivation and Support
So I went on the scales today and it’s massively de motivated me. I have been dieting all week. Logging my foods. I have been in a calorie deficit everyday but one. My limit has been 1900, and 6 days I have had between 400-900 left over per day. So my intake has been good. I have been to the gym for six days this week too mixing weights and cardio.

Today when weighing on the stupid scales it says I’m at 18st 9lbs and my starting weight was 18st 1lbs 7 days ago! Is that normal?

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Is the exercise new? Are you weighing food, using measuring cups, going of packages, or eyeballing serving sizes?

Why are you eating so much less than your goal? The goal has the calorie deficit built in.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    It is more essential that you weigh your food than yourself. You have a baseline. You can wait a couple weeks and see where you land or you can go by how your clothing fit, take measurements, or comparison photos. Weighing your food, however, will help to ensure that you are actually in a deficit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnnpUYmr0OM
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Did you weigh in under the same circumstances (same time of day, usually first thing in the morning, wearing the same amount of clothes)? Is the exercise new or increased for you? Weight loss isn't linear and fluctuates all the time.

That said, the 1900 calories given to you by MFP is a number you should be aiming for after exercise, not coming far under. Eating under 1500 calories for a prolonged amount of time can do more harm in the long run. If you're having trouble reaching that goal, add in some calorie dense items (nuts, nut butters, full fat dairy, cooking oils...even a treat or two if you've met your nutrient goals).
  • Sir3am
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Is the exercise new? Are you weighing food, using measuring cups, going of packages, or eyeballing serving sizes?

Why are you eating so much less than your goal? The goal has the calorie deficit built in.

Im just eating till fill then eating again so by the end of the nice that’s what I have less. And I go of packer weight or scales. Never guess.

• Sir3am
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Did you weigh in under the same circumstances (same time of day, usually first thing in the morning, wearing the same amount of clothes)? Is the exercise new or increased for you? Weight loss isn't linear and fluctuates all the time.

That said, the 1900 calories given to you by MFP is a number you should be aiming for after exercise, not coming far under. Eating under 1500 calories for a prolonged amount of time can do more harm in the long run. If you're having trouble reaching that goal, add in some calorie dense items (nuts, nut butters, full fat dairy, cooking oils...even a treat or two if you've met your nutrient goals).

The e exercise is new, not been to the gym for years. As for the circumstances, everything done the same.
  • Sir3am
    Options
    serindipte wrote: »
    It is more essential that you weigh your food than yourself. You have a baseline. You can wait a couple weeks and see where you land or you can go by how your clothing fit, take measurements, or comparison photos. Weighing your food, however, will help to ensure that you are actually in a deficit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnnpUYmr0OM

Maybe it’s best to do comparison photos.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Sir3am wrote: »

The e exercise is new, not been to the gym for years. As for the circumstances, everything done the same.

So most likely you're retaining water from the exercise. Give yourself a few more weeks and if you haven't started losing yet, then you'll want to look at your logging to see what you can tighten up.
  • Sir3am
    Options

So most likely you're retaining water from the exercise. Give yourself a few more weeks and if you haven't started losing yet, then you'll want to look at your logging to see what you can tighten up.

Thank you :)
  • coffeebean08
    coffeebean08 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Did your weight go back down? Probably just water retention [:
  • Sir3am
    Options
    Did your weight go back down? Probably just water retention [:

Will check tomorrow :)

• AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    The decision to weigh or not is a very personal one. Just try a few scenarios and do what works for you.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    xro5yntborg0.png
    worry about long term trends
  • Sir3am
    Options
    Scales suck are deceiving and can deter motivation. That being said I way my self every morning when I wake up, and literally say out loud “this # is approximate”

But hey I had an Aha moment these past weeks, been weighing, counting calories and macros for a loooong time. As soon as I started eating under 100g a day of carbs fat starting falling off.

Also, when I would Plateau it’s was because I ate to FEW calories, like 1400 a day. It forced my body into starvation mode and just hung onto the fat.

Count your macros, what works for me for fat loss is a high protein high fat low carb ratio. 40%protein 40% fat 20% carbs 1750 calories a day. It took months to dial in my macros, it’s a process but it’s sooo worth it once you figure it out.

Or You could always have a metabolic assessment done by a gym to take the guess work out. It’s About $100.

“It's my time, it's possible, it's necessary, it's me, it's hard, it's worth it.”
    Was
    Scales suck are deceiving and can deter motivation. That being said I way my self every morning when I wake up, and literally say out loud “this # is approximate”

But hey I had an Aha moment these past weeks, been weighing, counting calories and macros for a loooong time. As soon as I started eating under 100g a day of carbs fat starting falling off.

Also, when I would Plateau it’s was because I ate to FEW calories, like 1400 a day. It forced my body into starvation mode and just hung onto the fat.

Count your macros, what works for me for fat loss is a high protein high fat low carb ratio. 40%protein 40% fat 20% carbs 1750 calories a day. It took months to dial in my macros, it’s a process but it’s sooo worth it once you figure it out.

Or You could always have a metabolic assessment done by a gym to take the guess work out. It’s About $100.

“It's my time, it's possible, it's necessary, it's me, it's hard, it's worth it.”

Thank you I have sent you a message! :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Was

Thank you I have sent you a message! :)

You don't need to low carb to lose weight
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    last week i only lost a pound after working out every day and eating strict. i look smaller .and was so dissapointedin the scale..as i am 6 pounds from my goal weight.

But, i know ..even though it is hard to accept... that when i exercise a lot...the scale doesn't move..and i was also under eating. So this week.. less is more...i'm going to eat more..rest more..and exercise less.. i bet the next timei weigh myself i lose more.

So.. exercise less... eat more.. i bet your scale will move.
  • andiejeanne95
    andiejeanne95 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I didn’t Loose anything the first week. But now I’m going to be starting one month of my diet and I’ve lost 7 pounds already. I weigh myself every couple days or so in the morning. I don’t like to weigh myself in the afternoon or night because of water weight and bloating. I set my calorie intake to 1,200 so that way I know I’m eating the minimum. What’s helped me was a big breakfast, medium size lunch and small dinner. If I’m not hungry in the morning I usually make a protein shake. Another thing that’s helped me is to actually not cut our food from my diet. Rather just have small amounts. I still have my occasional cookie but instead of three a day I will maybe have three on cheat day. Makes it more rewarding to reach cheat day
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You should eat your calorie goal rather than shortchange it 500-900 per day. You need the nutrition. You should eat back about half of your exercise calories too. If you don’t keep yourself nourished and fueled you will crash & burn and possibly make yourself sick. We see threads like that all the time on here.