Oh snap, things have gotta change

Options
jweb007
jweb007 Posts: 36 Member
After being overweight/obese for all of my adult life and not being too bothered about it, I had my « oh snap, things have gotta change » moment. On a flight about a month ago, my seatbelt didn’t fit. I squirmed, squeezed, and sucked in, but there was no click. So I did what every “I’m fat, but I’m not THAT fat” person would do and covered my lap with my coat and mentally berated airlines for being cheap and cutting costs because CLEARLY this was a smaller than average seatbelt.

And then the same thing happened again with a different airline.

So I said to myself “it can’t be that ALL airline seatbelts are too small... I’M too big”. And then I weighed myself for the first time in 3 or 4 years. Always keeping in mind that I simply must weigh the same as then. I clung to my heavy, but not so bad because plenty of people are that size, number of 250lbs. I mean, what, I carried it well, right? And 250 wasn’t so bad. I means it wasn’t 300. That number 300 was always so far away and clearly I’d never let myself get that bad. I stepped on my scale. Not only had I cracked that scary 300 lbs number, i freaking surpassed it at 321.

Diabetes. High blood pressure. Heart attacked. These all danced through my head like sugarplum fairies for 6 year olds. So I cried. And cried. And cried. Then decided that I had to do something, anything.

I started a meal system kind of like Nutrisystem. 2 weeks, so far, so good. Down 4 pounds! And I bought an exercise bike, which will arrive this weekend.

This is my first attempt at a lifestyle change. Im hoping that my lifestyle changes stick. I need some support though! Any support! Because it’s hard trying to lose half of your body weight in secret. So add me, please! I’m still figuring out the settings on this app, but I plan to let all of my stuff be shareable with friends.

Replies

• RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Just in case you haven't read these yet "https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest"

^^This will help you sift through the information about losing weight and the mentality that goes with it, if you haven't read the threads already they are definitely worth the read.

Good Luck!!
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    You've made the first, and most difficult step! You've admitted there's a problem AND you're taking steps to correct it! There are going to be times your weight loss isn't as fast as you want, there will be times it seems stuck, but if you'll stick with it, the weight WILL come off. :)

I aim to eventually lose a full 100 from my high weight. I lost 50 lbs a few years ago.. then let almost 40 of that creep back on.

My diary is open and I'm sending a friend request!
  • NHDaisy2
    NHDaisy2 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    There will be times as stated that you may not lose as much or as fast as you want. Don't let that hinder your ultimate goal. Remind yourself how you felt when you couldn't get the seatbelt buckled or how you felt when you stepped on the scale.
  • jweb007
    jweb007 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support, guys! It really does help!
  • Lynnara
    Lynnara Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP, so glad you have joined us!