Knee and foot pain

Hello guys, i hope someone here can help me
I started my diet, with cou ting calories and i wanted to increase my weight loss by doing more cardio, so i started walking everyday at least 5 miles. But i think i pushed too hard on myself or because my body not used to this kind of exercise everydayso my knee started to pain me.
I stopped walking now for one week, i still feel pain and now i feel pain as well in my feet, all that on my right side.
I am here to ask is that normal could happen, like is this kind of injure and if so
Any recommendstion for pain relife for this kind of pain?

Thanks guys
And appreciate your time

Replies

• chulipa
    chulipa Posts: 650 Member
    How old are you and do you have a lot of weight to lose? Where is the pain located in your knee and foot? I have knee pain and foot pain in both legs will need a knee replacement soon. Give more information and I might have an answer for you.
  • iowalinda
    iowalinda Posts: 354 Member
    I started my diet, with cou ting calories and i wanted to increase my weight loss by doing more cardio, so i started walking everyday at least 5 miles. But i think i pushed too hard on myself or because my body not used to this kind of exercise everydayso my knee started to pain me.
    I stopped walking now for one week, i still feel pain and now i feel pain as well in my feet, all that on my right side.
    I am here to ask is that normal could happen, like is this kind of injure and if so

Thanks guys
    And appreciate your time

It could be that you are not getting the support you need from your shoes. That can cause pain in feet, knees, hips and back. Usually when it's the shoes, though, it's not just one side.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    Sure you can hurt yourself by suddenly starting to walk 5 miles a day.

What are you wearing for shoes? Are you walking on pavement? I hurt my knees some time back and have to be careful about what I walk on and what I wear. I avoid pavement as much as possible so am mostly walking on trails in the woods, and I like various Asics Gel shoes.
  • dinazidan87
    dinazidan87 Posts: 36 Member
    chulipa wrote: »
    How old are you and do you have a lot of weight to lose? Where is the pain located in your knee and foot? I have knee pain and foot pain in both legs will need a knee replacement soon. Give more information and I might have an answer for you.

I have 25 to 30 pounds to lose
    I am 30
    And yes my routine walking was pavments in the street
    Or parks
    My husband told me, it could be from the shoes, but the pain is huge
  • dinazidan87
    I recommend seeing your doctor just to rule out anything serious. Then I'd recommend walking in a pool or doing a recumbant bike until your joints stop hurting. I also recommend yoga. Getting your muscles and ligaments loosened up really makes a big difference.

I am trying to avoid any kind of exersice, walking to go to the kitchen hurts, and not only my knee its my foot as well, i am using icy hot but so far nothing happens, no improvment
    So i think i need a doctor
    Thanks though for your advice
  • dinazidan87
    kshama2001 wrote: »

What are you wearing for shoes? Are you walking on pavement? I hurt my knees some time back and have to be careful about what I walk on and what I wear. I avoid pavement as much as possible so am mostly walking on trails in the woods, and I like various Asics Gel shoes.

I think the shoe i am having now both was not appropriate for walking, both are pumas.
    Second comment talking about pavement, i am new to this walking routine. If you dont mind sharing with me why walking in pavements can hurt me?
    I walked most of that time on pavement
    And i will look for that shoe!
    Thanks alot
  • dinazidan87
    iowalinda wrote: »

Thanks guys
    And appreciate your time

It could be that you are not getting the support you need from your shoes. That can cause pain in feet, knees, hips and back. Usually when it's the shoes, though, it's not just one side.

Its like my husband said, but i think i need a doc and hoepfully its nothing major
    Thsnks alot
  • jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member

I think the shoe i am having now both was not appropriate for walking, both are pumas.
    Second comment talking about pavement, i am new to this walking routine. If you dont mind sharing with me why walking in pavements can hurt me?
    Thanks alot

Pumas suck. I tried to workout in them once. I hurt half way through and stopped my workout to change shoes. Never again. Pavement has no give and can put pressure on your joints. I don't know if it's open to the public in your area but can you walk around the high school track? My hometown it's available for the public, it's a nice rubber track. (I guess it's rubber)
  • chulipa
    chulipa Posts: 650 Member
    Maybe a doctor is your best bet it could be something simple like magbe you stepped wrong and twisted your knee or just irritated the tendon in your knee and foot
  • JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    You probably irritated a tendon in your knee, and when you started moving differently to avoid that pain in your knee (even if you didn't notice yourself moving differently), that new pressure pattern could have led to you injuring your foot.

You might want to see your doctor to make sure nothing was torn, but most likely what you need is a good pair of walking or cross training shoes that have not just good cushions but good support. New Balance makes good shoes that fit that bill.

Rest until the pain goes away, and then after that when you resume walking build your distance slowly. Aim for no more than a mile at a time for the first week or two, and go from there.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Talk to your doctor, and then when you're ready to go again visit a running store to get fitted for proper shoes.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    go to a doctor and get evaluated.
    most people cannot just start walking 5 miles every day without some sort of overuse injury
    even walking, a running store can fit you for the appropriate shoes. they fit elite athletes to nurses on their feet all day to walkers to beginner runners. answer their questions and you should be better prepared for this fitness journey
  • TrinityR05
    TrinityR05 Posts: 77 Member
    I get foot pain, but because I needed shoe orthotics because of the bone structure of my feet. Maybe see a foot doctor.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member

Thanks alot

Pumas suck. I tried to workout in them once. I hurt half way through and stopped my workout to change shoes. Never again. Pavement has no give and can put pressure on your joints. I don't know if it's open to the public in your area but can you walk around the high school track? My hometown it's available for the public, it's a nice rubber track. (I guess it's rubber)

Yes, if I didn't have access to trails in the woods my next choice for free walking would be a high school track.

Also, I've used elevated tracks at YMCAs and liked that too. Ys have sliding scales for those who need help financially.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Talk to your doctor, and then when you're ready to go again visit a running store to get fitted for proper shoes.

Agreed. Can you google reviews for shoe stores in your area to find one that does a good job fitting shoes? My area has a running shoe store with a couple people with fitting expertise. It might be a good idea to call ahead to see when the best fitters are working. It really makes a difference. The store I went to charges full retail, but the shoes they fitted me in worked great and I subsequently could find them online for a lot less. Hope you get better soon.
  • mazcor536
    mazcor536 Posts: 115 Member
    I’d see your doctor. If you injured your knee (you might not have even been aware at the time) you could be compensating for the discomfort by stepping strangely which causes the foot pain (or vice versa - injured foot = sore knee from compensating). Get to the bottom of what is injured and how, and you’ll be able to get back on track.
  • dinazidan87
    Guys, you have been so helpful, i appreciate every advice and will consider everyone of them, one thing i learnt from you for sure that i did not know before, is that pavement could have caused me this as well, because i have been walking in the side walk in the street for 2 weeks, to me being in the trademil so boring, so my alternative was walking around my area, second that i need different shoes!
    I am still recovering
    Thanks alot everyone for your help :blush:
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member

I'd second this, and definitely recommend easing off. Maybe try 15-20 minutes a day and taper up to 5 miles with increases of 5-10 minutes a day weekly. so week 1(15-20 minutes. Week 2 20-30 minutes week 3 25-40, etc.
  • dinazidan87

I'd second this, and definitely recommend easing off. Maybe try 15-20 minutes a day and taper up to 5 miles with increases of 5-10 minutes a day weekly. so week 1(15-20 minutes. Week 2 20-30 minutes week 3 25-40, etc.

I think that what i would be forcing to do anyway lol
    Because for now almost 10 days i cant walk and still recovering, so once i start again i will take it easy.