I'm not loosing weight

Options
Kerryp08
Kerryp08 Posts: 10 Member
I currently stay under my calories and I exercise alot I do pole fitness approx 9 hours a week plus I have horses so I muck out and ride etc everyday. I am muscular but I'm really bulky and I want to define abit I spose can anyone help? I've just started running to see if that helps but I'm not very good at it so only running about 20min ever few days. Any tips would be lovely xx

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? How long has it been since you lost weight?
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    weight loss starts with a calorie deficit.
    so make sure you are weighing your food to be sure you are at a deficit. use a food scale, not just cups and spoons.
  • vallary14
    vallary14 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Just to chime in on the food scale I will give you an example: made myself a turkey sandwich for lunch today and I decided to weigh it and see if two slices was a serving. Now I figured two slices was a serving and that actually was about 9g less than a serving. I could have just as easily overestimated a serving, so if you’re guesstimating several times per day that can really add up. I bought one off Amazon and it was only about $12. most grocery stores even carry them though.
  • Kerryp08
    Options
    Thank you guys the last time I lost weight was a year ago I'm now 10stone. I will start weighing my food. I have been tracking my food on my fitness Pal for a month now n I'm always under on my calories yesterday I was 1000 calories under after my exercise. I track my exercise on a Fitbit aswell
  • jajahockey2018
    jajahockey2018 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I totally get where your coming from running it hard but you should stick at the running as I found when losing my weight or the begging of it that’s running helps to change your body shape and you gain muscle so you don’t always lose weight but change shape so keep at it !!
  • Kerryp08
    Options
    Cool thank you so much guys I will keep up the running I'm aiming to run 30mins on the days I'm not at pole (I have downloaded the couch to 5k app to help with my running) I'm competing again in 4 weeks so im putting alot if hours into my pole at present but once that is finished i can work more on the running. I will watch my carbs and I will weigh the food instead of using cups etc. I will look into the starvation thing but not sure about it is seem abit contraversial but worth looking into thank you all so much
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Even if it weren't bogus I can't understand why anyone wanting a healthier tomorrow would ever consider something that is labelled "starvation mode".

Starvation is synonymous with malnourished.
  • Kerryp08
    Options
    So I have weighed my food and so far it seems I have been over estimating the portions leaving me more calories for my dinner tonight. I have now included a hill run and a HITT training session into my training plan hoping to increase my fat burning exercise. I am not going to do the starvation thing as I do actually have a bowel condition that does effect my energy levels if I don't eat I probably should of mentioned it before but hay. I have run this morning and Il do a HITT session tonight and Il ensure I add a rest day in as I have just been advices from a trainer that I work with that some of my plato can be due to not resting. I am now adding a active rest day this will be the day a teach pole for 2 hours as it's not to strenuous on me and I will end with a nice long stretch and a total rest day with no exercise. I will continue with my measuring of food as I do totally agree that this very helpful. I will also continue with the running when I get a chance as it's a great stress reliever ontop of fat burning.

Thank you everyone
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Kerryp08 wrote: »
    So I have weighed my food and so far it seems I have been over estimating the portions leaving me more calories for my dinner tonight. I have now included a hill run and a HITT training session into my training plan hoping to increase my fat burning exercise. I am not going to do the starvation thing as I do actually have a bowel condition that does effect my energy levels if I don't eat I probably should of mentioned it before but hay. I have run this morning and Il do a HITT session tonight and Il ensure I add a rest day in as I have just been advices from a trainer that I work with that some of my plato can be due to not resting. I am now adding a active rest day this will be the day a teach pole for 2 hours as it's not to strenuous on me and I will end with a nice long stretch and a total rest day with no exercise. I will continue with my measuring of food as I do totally agree that this very helpful. I will also continue with the running when I get a chance as it's a great stress reliever ontop of fat burning.

Thank you everyone

if the most you can run is for 20 minutes, i don't think there is much benefit to adding in hills/speed work.

you will get better at running by running more. slow down, walk when you need to, and slowly increase your running from time from 20 to 40 minutes. when you can run for 40 minutes, you will be able to do 20 a lot quicker.
  • Kerryp08
    Options
    Ok I may not be able to run solid for along time but I I have been to classes and I have managed to stay with them so a 15min HITT won't be that bad it's not that I'm unfit I just can't ran for a long distance cos I've not been doing it long that distance will only get better with practice no??
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    fittocycle wrote: »
    It sounds like you lead a very active lifestyle. Do you eat back any of the calories you burn during your workouts? Also, I don't know what you eat each day but eating a cleaner diet (less process foods and sugar) and really help you shed some pounds. If you want to see more definition in your body, then I would suggest starting a weight training routine. You should see some results fairly quickly. Your weight won't become loose but you will lose weight. Sorry, it's a pet peeve of mine! ;)

If this adds to your deficit, then yes, it will help, but as long as you are staying within your calorie goal, it doesn't matter (for weight loss) if you eat all donuts or all kale.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    fittocycle wrote: »
    It sounds like you lead a very active lifestyle. Do you eat back any of the calories you burn during your workouts? Also, I don't know what you eat each day but eating a cleaner diet (less process foods and sugar) and really help you shed some pounds. If you want to see more definition in your body, then I would suggest starting a weight training routine. You should see some results fairly quickly. Your weight won't become loose but you will lose weight. Sorry, it's a pet peeve of mine! ;)

"Clean eating," fewer processed foods and less sugar doesn't do anything for weight loss, the only thing that matters is a calorie deficit. Eat what keeps you satisfied and hitting your macros/calorie goals.

OP in addition to weighing food to make sure you're counting accurately, you might want to only eat back about half of the calories MFP estimates as your exercise burn and see how that goes. it's pretty notorious for over-estimating that part of the calories in/calories out equation.