What does "woo," mean on this forum?

Slowfaster
Slowfaster Posts: 174 Member
At first I thought it meant, "Yay!" but I've seen people dismiss certain bad fad diets as, "A bunch of woo." So now I'm not sure what to think when someone clicks the "woo," under a post.

(Thanks for bothering with this dumb question.)



Replies

  • Slowfaster
    Slowfaster Posts: 174 Member
    Okay then. I think I'd prefer a straight forward dislike button. From now on I'll just picture Daffy duck, he says, "Woo woo," a lot. I don't know what he means either.
  • Slowfaster
    Slowfaster Posts: 174 Member
    Well,from what I'm learning here, "woo," often means, "What a load of crap," and that hurts my feelz as much as, "I dislike this."

    Oh well. My mouse hovering doesn't say anything but a repeat of the word (no WTF) and my MFP blog has never shown me the "I am not a robot," question although other people see it, so I can't use the blog at all and my lengthy comments don't stick. I think maybe my Windows version is too old. Like me. :)
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,564 Member
    Slowfaster wrote: »
    Well,from what I'm learning here, "woo," often means, "What a load of crap," and that hurts my feelz as much as, "I dislike this."

    Yes- strange that MFP insists that the ambiguous "woo" is nicer. Many of us would prefer the completely unemotional "disagree", but they shot that down too. :(
  • JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 273 Member
    The "woo" doesn't mean disagree, it means that someone is touting unscientific or pseudoscientific "woo," i.e. untrue facts/fads that don't do what they claim to do or "magic bullet" tips and tricks. Drinking a shot of apple cider vinegar mixed with cayenne pepper and honey every morning to jumpstart your metabolism is "woo." Doing bicycle crunches in a fasted state under a full moon to target love handles is woo. You might disagree with the statement that kale is the most delicious food in the world and should be consumed at every meal, but you wouldn't push the "woo" button to show that you disagree.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,564 Member
    JMcGee2018 wrote: »
    The "woo" doesn't mean disagree, it means that someone is touting unscientific or pseudoscientific "woo," i.e. untrue facts/fads that don't do what they claim to do or "magic bullet" tips and tricks. Drinking a shot of apple cider vinegar mixed with cayenne pepper and honey every morning to jumpstart your metabolism is "woo." Doing bicycle crunches in a fasted state under a full moon to target love handles is woo. You might disagree with the statement that kale is the most delicious food in the world and should be consumed at every meal, but you wouldn't push the "woo" button to show that you disagree.

    I don't know if this was directed at me, but I know "woo" doesn't mean disagree. I was saying a simple "disagree" button would be preferable and have less emotional connotation. I don't use the woo button at all, because I don't like the fact that it can be misconstrued by those who don't know what it means.
  • JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 273 Member
    try2again wrote: »
    JMcGee2018 wrote: »
    The "woo" doesn't mean disagree, it means that someone is touting unscientific or pseudoscientific "woo," i.e. untrue facts/fads that don't do what they claim to do or "magic bullet" tips and tricks. Drinking a shot of apple cider vinegar mixed with cayenne pepper and honey every morning to jumpstart your metabolism is "woo." Doing bicycle crunches in a fasted state under a full moon to target love handles is woo. You might disagree with the statement that kale is the most delicious food in the world and should be consumed at every meal, but you wouldn't push the "woo" button to show that you disagree.

    I don't know if this was directed at me, but I know "woo" doesn't mean disagree. I was saying a simple "disagree" button would be preferable and have less emotional connotation. I don't use the woo button at all, because I don't like the fact that it can be misconstrued by those who don't know what it means.

    Not aimed at anyone in particular, but I think it's important to know the difference between disagree and woo, because disagreeing with something is just expressing an opinion, whereas flagging something as woo can indicate that it contains false or debunked info., which is helpful.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,564 Member
    edited May 2018
    JMcGee2018 wrote: »
    try2again wrote: »
    JMcGee2018 wrote: »
    The "woo" doesn't mean disagree, it means that someone is touting unscientific or pseudoscientific "woo," i.e. untrue facts/fads that don't do what they claim to do or "magic bullet" tips and tricks. Drinking a shot of apple cider vinegar mixed with cayenne pepper and honey every morning to jumpstart your metabolism is "woo." Doing bicycle crunches in a fasted state under a full moon to target love handles is woo. You might disagree with the statement that kale is the most delicious food in the world and should be consumed at every meal, but you wouldn't push the "woo" button to show that you disagree.

    I don't know if this was directed at me, but I know "woo" doesn't mean disagree. I was saying a simple "disagree" button would be preferable and have less emotional connotation. I don't use the woo button at all, because I don't like the fact that it can be misconstrued by those who don't know what it means.

    Not aimed at anyone in particular, but I think it's important to know the difference between disagree and woo, because disagreeing with something is just expressing an opinion, whereas flagging something as woo can indicate that it contains false or debunked info., which is helpful.

    Now I see people using the "flag" button to indicate woo ;)
  • xWintersKnightx
    xWintersKnightx Posts: 59 Member
    Ive been wooed so much I thought I was going to get proposals on here :)
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,609 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    If you hover over the button with your mouse you will see the code includes "WTF?".

    A dislike button or even a BS button would be clearer.

    10903433_510031915801639_1420515263_n.jpg