Apple Watch or Fitbit?!?

Options
alid8333
alid8333 Posts: 233 Member
edited May 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
I currently have the Apple Watch series 2. While I do like a lot about it (mainly that I can use a external HR monitor during workouts) it does give me some issues. Number 1 being that it doesn’t give me credit for exercise when using outdoor walk. I can take a brisk outdoor walk for a hour and my heart rate be within 50 to 75% of my max HR and it will only give me credit for 4 min of exercise. I seen where a lot of people just use the indoor walk option instead, but I kinda feel like it’s not giving a correct estimate on calorie burn and miles walked when doing that. Plus no matter how fast I walk it always says I’m going 2.5 mph lol.

I’ve recently been thinking about switching over to Fitbit, particularly the Versa. My daughter has a Fitbit blaze and she likes it. I use to have a Fitbit years ago and didn’t really care for it, but I know they’ve come along way since then.

Today when I take my hour walk outdoors I’m going to wear my Apple watch connected to my polar chest strap but then also wear my daughters blaze on the other wrist to compare the two.

I think the only thing that’s holding me back from getting the Versa is not being able to connect my chest strap to it. I found in the past the heart rate sensor on my Fitbit HR never recorded accurately when I walked or did anything physical. I guess I like the fact I don’t have to count on the watches HR sensor.

Anyone have a versa? If so what is your opinion?

Replies

• lpjames30
    lpjames30 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Good morning I have a Apple Watch. When I go for my walks I click on the outdoor walk goal. That’s how mines is added to my workouts. Hope this help you.
  • lpjames30
    lpjames30 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I didn’t read all you wrote. Try syncing your watch again and see if that helps.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    How fast are you walking, though? The Watch is only going to give you exercise credit if you're doing more than 3 MPH. So that's true that if it thinks/claims you're only doing 2.5 MPH that it's not going to give you exercise credit. What your heart rate is is really irrelevant to the distance that you're covering.

I know you say brisk, but brisk means different things to different people -- I used to date a guy who was *insistent* that 3.2 MPH was a "light jog" and I had to bite my tongue to not tell him that I walked faster than that.

Have you looked at a map, and seen what you actually cover in the time that you're out? That's going to be helpful to help you see whether it's an issue with the Watch, or if it's just that you walk slower than you think you do.

I know that is a concern that other people in other Apple forums and on Reddit have said. I think it's common to overestimate what you're doing, and it can be quite an awakening to see that no, you're not really "exercising" even if you did get out and walk.

But as for me... I have the Watch Series 2, and love it. It's waterproof, and it integrates with my iPhone, and I love all of the features. I've never had an issue with it underestimating exercise or not giving me credit for exercise.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the AW is working correctly, actually, but do yo do something that stops you from swinging the Watch arm? That actually makes a difference.
    In my experience with a clip style Fitbit v Apple Watch, I prefer the AW and am happy to ignore the casual calories from steps that I miss due to the AW/MFP glitches.
  • roxybeer
    roxybeer Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I also have an Apple watch series 3 and agree with the comments above. It's far more reliable than Fitbits I've found for exercise and daily step count. I've had the Fitbit One, Charge and Blaze before switching to the Apple Watch, so I'd like to think I have a wide variety of knowledge :) I always make sure to use the workout features though when I'm working out. I think it has an automated start though for some of the features like walking.
  • alid8333
    Options
    How fast are you walking, though? The Watch is only going to give you exercise credit if you're doing more than 3 MPH. So that's true that if it thinks/claims you're only doing 2.5 MPH that it's not going to give you exercise credit. What your heart rate is is really irrelevant to the distance that you're covering.

I know you say brisk, but brisk means different things to different people -- I used to date a guy who was *insistent* that 3.2 MPH was a "light jog" and I had to bite my tongue to not tell him that I walked faster than that.

Have you looked at a map, and seen what you actually cover in the time that you're out? That's going to be helpful to help you see whether it's an issue with the Watch, or if it's just that you walk slower than you think you do.

I know that is a concern that other people in other Apple forums and on Reddit have said. I think it's common to overestimate what you're doing, and it can be quite an awakening to see that no, you're not really "exercising" even if you did get out and walk.

But as for me... I have the Watch Series 2, and love it. It's waterproof, and it integrates with my iPhone, and I love all of the features. I've never had an issue with it underestimating exercise or not giving me credit for exercise.

A brisk walk is 3mph or the equivalent of a mile every 20 min. So in 44 min I walked 2.14 with a average heart rate of 130 and it still only gave me credit for 5 min.
  • alid8333
    Options
    A brisk walk is walking at 3mph. Which is a mile every 20 min. Today I walked 2.14 miles with a average heart rate of 130 and it still only gave me credit for 5 min. st8ng78j9dru.jpeg
  • alid8333
    Options
    My move calories and stand calories are off because I forgot to charge my watch last night so I didn’t put it on until 15 min before I went on my walk. But still I walked 2.14 miles in 44 min with a average heart rate of 130 and it still only registered 5 min. 58m097gfrebz.jpeg
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    How many Outdoor Walk workouts have you done? The AW takes time to calibrate, also.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8014363
  • alid8333
    Options
    How many Outdoor Walk workouts have you done? The AW takes time to calibrate, also.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8014363

Pretty sure it should be calibrated by now. I’ve had this watch since it came out. Funny thing is the outdoor walk use to work on my first Apple Watch but not this one. Apple just tells me to use indoor walk, which I don’t think I should have to.

• alid8333
    Options
    i have an apple watch and love it. i have no issues with it detecting my workouts, including my outdoor walks.

maybe im not understanding something, ur pic seems accurate. where does it say u only did 5 minutes?

My move and stand are off because I forgot to charge my watch last night and didn’t put it on until 15 min before I went on my walk. But it only credited me for 5 min out of 44

kl7j4fmvtzus.jpeg

• alid8333
    Options
    alid8333 wrote: »
    My move calories and stand calories are off because I forgot to charge my watch last night so I didn’t put it on until 15 min before I went on my walk. But still I walked 2.14 miles in 44 min with a average heart rate of 130 and it still only registered 5 min. 58m097gfrebz.jpeg

does this happen every time? i go for walks every day and it registers my walks as exercise, even if dont start the walk activity. my walk to the gym is 15 minutes, and i always have a 15 min workout completion when i arrive there

try to unpair and pair the watch again

Yes every single time I choose outdoor walk. It doesn’t do it on any of the other exercise choices. If i walk on my treadmill or use my elliptical it gives me credit. I’ve tried unpairing it and then pairing it again multiple times, still doesn’t work. Only advice Apple can give is to use indoor walk when outdoors. My first Apple Watch recorded everything correctly, then when I bought the series 2 when it came out it didn’t give credit for outdoor walks. Best Buy let me exchange it out a month later and it still does it. Just very frustrating.

• alid8333
    Options
    I did a 55 min workout session this morn and had a quick 15 min casual walk which i did not start an activity for. Im sure it registered the walk here

a334hwny2x2l.jpeg

It will give credit for indoor walks, swims, elliptical, other etc. Just not outdoor walks. I do get credit throughout the day as well. It’s like certain watches have a glitch when it comes to outdoor walk only.

This was mine from yesterday this was a brisk walk on the treadmill and then on the elliptical. Gave me credit for every min.

2sypufhd27y9.png

• ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I have no solution for you.

Anecdotally, my co-worker used to have a FitBit, then got the Apple Watch, and now complains daily that she misses the FitBit app and says its much better, and considers being that guy who wears one on each wrist.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I believe the exercise minutes you showed is done via hr thresholds. For walking, it doesn't make much of a difference, though, and certainly mfp still credits the activity for me.
  • alid8333
    Options
    I have no solution for you.

Anecdotally, my co-worker used to have a FitBit, then got the Apple Watch, and now complains daily that she misses the FitBit app and says its much better, and considers being that guy who wears one on each wrist.

Lol I wore my Apple Watch on one wrist and my daughters Fitbit on the other and the Fitbit registered every min of my outdoor walk, where the Apple Watch only gave credit for 5 min
  • change4char
    change4char Posts: 85 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Versa and I love it (I've had multiple Fitbit's). I am not an Apple user, so I can't compare, and I also do not need a traditional smart watch. The steps, hr, and active minutes are accurate for me, but the calorie burn does overestimate. I also like that I only need to charge it every 3 or 4 nights, unlike a real smart watch.
  • alid8333
    Options

does this happen every time? i go for walks every day and it registers my walks as exercise, even if dont start the walk activity. my walk to the gym is 15 minutes, and i always have a 15 min workout completion when i arrive there

try to unpair and pair the watch again

Yes every single time I choose outdoor walk. It doesn’t do it on any of the other exercise choices. If i walk on my treadmill or use my elliptical it gives me credit. I’ve tried unpairing it and then pairing it again multiple times, still doesn’t work. Only advice Apple can give is to use indoor walk when outdoors. My first Apple Watch recorded everything correctly, then when I bought the series 2 when it came out it didn’t give credit for outdoor walks. Best Buy let me exchange it out a month later and it still does it. Just very frustrating.

hmm im not sure then. i only have a series 1 ( and the original ) and its always tracked my walks. ill google to see if i can find something. sorry ur going through this

I honestly feel like it’s a series 2 and 3 issue. My series 1 gave credit for all my outdoor walks. But the series 2 won’t. This is my 2nd series 2 as when I noticed the first series 2 I got wouldn’t give credit for outdoor walks I returned it to Best Buy and they gave me a new one. I think it’s crappy that Apple says well your either not working hard enough or just put it in indoor mode. I’m sorry but I typically walk 1 mile in 18 mins and my heart rate stays in the 130’s. I’m short only 5’3 so walking at 3mph is really getting my short legs a moving. If I go any faster I’ll be jogging not walking lol. But I’m pretty sure a mile every 18 to 20 min with a heart rate in the 130’s should be plenty for it to register as exercise.

I should note the outdoor walk and running don’t work on my husbands Apple Watch either. He went for a 45 min run with a heart rate of 160 and it only gave credit for 3 min.
  • Trillian17
    Trillian17 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have had issues as well with my Apple Watch not giving credit for outdoor walks. I will usually walk around the school during my sons soccer practice. So 30 min and I'm going up and down hills / steps. It only gives me like 5-7 min of credit. Drives me nuts. I did a slow (2.0-2.5) walk on the treadmill the other night as a cool down and it gave me all 30 mins but I had selected indoor walk.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options

A brisk walk is 3mph or the equivalent of a mile every 20 min. So in 44 min I walked 2.14 with a average heart rate of 130 and it still only gave me credit for 5 min.

So that's the thing -- you are just on the edge of what it considers exercise. It's giving you the calories, but it's not counting it as exercise because you're not consistently at that speed.

Your Watch is accurate. You're just not walking very fast.