Tips/Tricks welcomed for a newbie at counting Macros

Options
I’ve been using this app since 2011 but just now upgraded and my new PT wants me to start tracking my macros :# could use some “virtual support”, food suggestions, tips/tricks, motivation, etc. please comment and I’d love to add you along for the ride! Thanks in advance!
- Jenn in Atlanta

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I find prelogging helps - that way you are able to fiddle around with food choices and quantities until you get it close. If you notice you struggle to hit a particular macro, adding a source of that macro to each meal before anything else can hel
  • jerrico_atl
    jerrico_atl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Great suggestion!
  • jerrico_atl
    Options
    Thank you- this is great!
  • jerrico_atl
    Options
    @mikehurley4000 how did you know to adjust the percentage for fat to be more than carbs? Just trial and error over time? Thanks!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,070 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    A great source for food suggestions:

I might steal that for the infographics thread if that's ok?

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    A great source for food suggestions:

I might steal that for the infographics thread if that's ok?

@tinkerbellang83 - Absolutely okay! I'd properly credit it, but I don't know who the original source for it was.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I agree with @livingleanlivingclean. I prelog my day and tweak from there. Protein is usually the hardest to hit. I have to make every meal protein-centric or I won't meet it. Breakfast is almost always protein powder mixed with plain greek yogurt and frozen berries. That usually gets me 40-50 grams of protein for about 350 calories.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    pre-log is key; figuring out which macro is the hardest to fit and focus on planning that first
  • MarvinsFitLife
    MarvinsFitLife Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Here to support
  • mikehurley4000
    mikehurley4000 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    @jerrico_atl Yup trial and error, a lot of weight plateaus I went from 40% carbs and loosing like 0.1lbs a week the. Switched to 40% fat and now loosing 2lbs a week! It’s been working for me.

All the healthy fats I eat are in the list that
    @AnvilHead listed (that’s a great resource thanks for sharing)

@deannalfisher knows what’s up with pre-logging. Some times I’ll plan out my meals he day before to hit my macro ratio spot on. It helps!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    @jerrico_atl Yup trial and error, a lot of weight plateaus I went from 40% carbs and loosing like 0.1lbs a week the. Switched to 40% fat and now loosing 2lbs a week! It’s been working for me.

All the healthy fats I eat are in the list that
    @AnvilHead listed (that’s a great resource thanks for sharing)

@deannalfisher knows what’s up with pre-logging. Some times I’ll plan out my meals he day before to hit my macro ratio spot on. It helps!

Yeah - don’t be like me shoveling down a huge bowl of cereal at 11pm because you mismanaged calories (it was all planned...I’m just a bit later than normal)