Calories burned question

Options
Can someone please explain how over 14,000 steps in a day equals to only 15 calories burned? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    how did you get this number?

also @bobby927 I am moving this to general help so you get better responses
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    If thats the extra you got from your tracker than that is the difference between your MFP goal and tracker estimate of calories burned. Depending on how MFP is set up (sedentary, lightly active etc) then it could be that the actual calories burnt from 14000 steps is already largely included. another possibility is that you were massively sedentary for the day apart from the steps thus the adjustment between MFP and the tracker was small. I have had days like that too.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    It doesn't. It equates to 15 calories more than what MFP assumes you're doing/burning based on how you setup your MFP profile.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Is your activity level set to active?
  • bobby927
    bobby927 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yes I believe so. Also another question I have is why do my 10,000+ steps turn into negative calories after I run for a half hour and burn about 300 calories? It doesn’t make sense to me. Haha
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    bobby927 wrote: »
    Yes I believe so. Also another question I have is why do my 10,000+ steps turn into negative calories after I run for a half hour and burn about 300 calories? It doesn’t make sense to me. Haha

If you have your activity level set to active or the most active setting, you're not going to get much in the way of additional calories for your 14,000 steps because they're already accounted for in your activity level setting.

This is also why you're getting negative adjustments for 10,000 steps...your tracker and MFP are estimating that you're not actually as active or going to be as active as what you established as your activity level setting.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    bobby927 wrote: »

Sounds to me like you set your activity level to be rather high. Basically what is happening is that you say you are very active, MFP assumes you are going to burn a certain number of calories per day in activity. But then you link some sort of fit-bit or tracking device that tells MFP how many calories you burned that day in activity and it is assessing that in comparison to what you told it you would be using daily.

I am going to make up some numbers to illustrate the point. If you say you are active MFP gives you an extra 800 calories to eat a day. The amount of activity you did when you did 14k steps added up to 815 calories so MFP grants you an extra 15 calories. The amount of activity you did when you did 10k steps added up to 600 calories so MFP gave you negative 200 calories to compensate.

It would be like if you created a budget where you wanted to save $100 a day and that was part of your budget...so when you saved $90 on a certain day it would say you had a $10 deficit or -$10. If you didn't realize you had set it up that way it might be confusing to see that after making more money than you spent you were still being shown a deficit.

If you want to use a linked tracker to add calories to MFP and have MFP not adjust based on what it expects your activity to be then turn your activity to sedentary.
  • Jadub729
    Jadub729 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have my activity level on MFP set to sedentary. I average about 15k steps a day and gain about 800-900 calories a day from that (also includes exercise)