Does vitamin D3 disrupt sleep?

Options
2»

Replies

• comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Aplant77 wrote: »
    Wow, the timing of this post is weird! I've been taking 5000 daily for almost a year. I always take it in the morning but my sleep has been just awful. This morning as I was getting ready for work I decided I should google sleep issues with vit d and see what I found. I haven't had time to do a search yet but it appears there may be a link from these other responses. Not sure what I can change since I already take it in the morning but I guess it may be enough to know why I'm having troubles sleeping.

You could try dropping the dose. 4000 is the rda in the UK.
  • TrinityR05
    TrinityR05 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Not for me, but I only take 2,000 iu per day.
  • Aplant77
    Aplant77 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Wow, the timing of this post is weird! I've been taking 5000 daily for almost a year. I always take it in the morning but my sleep has been just awful. This morning as I was getting ready for work I decided I should google sleep issues with vit d and see what I found. I haven't had time to do a search yet but it appears there may be a link from these other responses. Not sure what I can change since I already take it in the morning but I guess it may be enough to know why I'm having troubles sleeping.

Thank you comptoneliza. My dr put me on it since I was so low. I'll be getting re-checked soon and hopefully I can lower my dosage!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Yeah, 5000 is above the suggested limit of 4000 in the U.S. Maybe the doctor will lower it.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options

Thank you comptoneliza. My dr put me on it since I was so low. I'll be getting re-checked soon and hopefully I can lower my dosage!

It's a shame because I've definitely had more energy since I started taking it but I cannot deal with the Insomnia!
  • xWintersKnightx
    xWintersKnightx Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Yeah, 5000 is above the suggested limit of 4000 in the U.S. Maybe the doctor will lower it.

Drs prescribe 5000 all the time in the NE. We dont get much sunlight for 9 months of the year.
  • banana2girl
    banana2girl Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone. I guess it's just as we all knew...everyone is different! But I've gone back to taking the D3 in the morning again and my sleep has improved. I'm also very close to dropping my dosage down from 5000 IU to 1000 IU because the deficiency has been corrected now. I'm hoping that will make any sleep disruption go away entirely.

I'll probably try 5000 in the late afternoon or evening one more time though, just to see if there is an effect.
  • SMKing75
    SMKing75 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I take mine in the morning also.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

The suggested limit assumes either 4 or 6 hours a day of time outside.

OTOH, Yes, if your D3 is properly balanced, you will have to adjust to less sleep and more energy. That's not necessarily a bad thing.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options

The suggested limit assumes either 4 or 6 hours a day of time outside.

OTOH, Yes, if your D3 is properly balanced, you will have to adjust to less sleep and more energy. That's not necessarily a bad thing.

This is true! I guess as a chronic Insomniac I tend to be obsessive about the amount of sleep I get - on a good night I rarely get more than 6 hours and vit d reduced it drastically.