Just ate year expired protein bar, and there’s worse....

Options

Replies

• MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine. I've eaten that type of thing when it was long expired. It may or may not taste as fresh (often they do!), but it won't make you ill.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Send any protein bars and packaged goods that you don't want to me.

I've eaten such things YEARS after the "best by" date w/o any problems whatsoever. ;)
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Well considering it's been several hours, I'd guess it's fine but tasted nastier than usual? Although, they're already pretty awful, so may have been an improvement...
  • HeyJudii
    HeyJudii Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I'm not proud. I'd eat them.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I tried some graham crackers that were unsealed and a year past their best by date.

They tasted like the bag they were packaged in.

Haven’t let anything get more than a week past its best by date since I moved out lol.

~Lyssa
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    anubis609 wrote: »
    I've eaten a 4 year old expired protein bar and it just became a sure fire way to relieve constipation. You'll live.

:D I literally laughed out loud at this. I'm really tired and weird things strike me as funny.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    It’s your body and nobody should tell you what to do. Tonight smell the two year old protein bar first before you bite in to it. If it smells “off” don’t risk it.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Well I ate the quest bar and first bite was SUPER dry so I put it on a plate, little splash of almond milk on it and microwaved and it tastes great lol
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I don't want to freak you out, but I bought and ate a box of Mission 1 & Quest bars that were expired, and then immediately developed bowel issues that have persisted for over a year now. No previous bowel problems - now daily. C-scope revealed nothing, so I think that something in those bars REALLY messed up my gut flora.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    ya...honestly im sure they are fine but is it really worth the risk? I mean its not that much money wasted to go buy new ones...Id eat them up to a few months later maye but 2 years where they are so dry you need to put milk on it? sounds desperate and clearly bad lol
  • pinggolfer96
    Options
    Found a whole other box of the original quest bars lol (the ingredients everyone liked initially) and I found the best way to repurpose them considering they expired back in 2016 and are rock hard lol. Bake them for 10 minutes and they soften up a little, then smash them down a little, and then bake more, let cool completely until they crisp up once cooled, crunch them up, and then make some low carb/ high protein cereal!!! So good!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Found a whole other box of the original quest bars lol (the ingredients everyone liked initially) and I found the best way to repurpose them considering they expired back in 2016 and are rock hard lol. Bake them for 10 minutes and they soften up a little, then smash them down a little, and then bake more, let cool completely until they crisp up once cooled, crunch them up, and then make some low carb/ high protein cereal!!! So good!

OMG I would pay a lot of money for the original formula even if they were expired, LOL. The original formula was gold.
  • pinggolfer96
    Options

OMG I would pay a lot of money for the original formula even if they were expired, LOL. The original formula was gold.

Haha I have an unopened box of original cookie dough.....how much?? Lol
  • flagrantavidity
    flagrantavidity Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I’m going to guess, absolutely no adverse effects.

I am willing to guess vitamins and nutrition will have degraded below the advertised amounts on the nutrition label.
  • Colorfan
    Colorfan Posts: 230 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Stuart Ashen and Steve1989 are always eating super expired stuff, and theyre still around.

Worst that can probably happen is youll puke. Unless youre trying stuff in which the packaging/container has clearly been compromised. Then botulism is potentially a problem.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    I eat expired stuff all the time. Whatever doesn't kill me, I guess LOL
  • simplyhannahm
    simplyhannahm Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    A lot of people eat things past the expiry date and are fine. I personally am really fussy and wouldn't do that.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    My thoughts are that it was dry and stale tasting but no ill effects will happen to you. Or at worst, temporary D+V.
    But probably nothing.

When my father was staying with me I made him toaast and vegemite for breakfast.

We do not eat vegemite but lots of Australians do so we keep small jar for people staying over to have on toast etc.

After he had eaten it we noticed it was few years out of date. :o

Nothing happened
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    I have a few protein bars that was expired six months ago & they still taste decent.

What's the consensus on expired protein powder?