Why do the students I work with ignore me now?

Options

Replies

• paigec619
    paigec619 Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    CatsIvuE wrote: »
    I like the name Barbara, it suits you

LMAO
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    How old are the kids you teach and how old are you?

She’s purposely ignoring this.
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    Just_J_Now wrote: »

She’s purposely ignoring this.

Agreed. Maybe the students hate her because she only answers the questions she feels like answering.

OR she’s actually one of the students who wants to be a teacher when she grows up.
  • bojack3
    bojack3 Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    The only teacher I can even remember was my geometry teacher that grabbed me my hair and tossed me into class once when I was trying to cut class....he cared. But, didn't stop me and 3 friends from mugging him while wearing ski masks on his way home and taking his wallet. But, I passed geometry ;)
  • Bullet_with_Butterfly_Wings
    Options

• Bullet_with_Butterfly_Wings
    Options
    If they are teens it is a right of passage to rebel against authority. Heck... I still do it!

If these are small children then I believe you may need to take your seat next to them in class and let the adults do the teaching.
  • competeagain
    competeagain Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I say write nasty things in their yearbook and sign it other kids names.
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    You are supposed to be the leader. They are kids. Being “cool” means creating a safe learning environment, teaching them, challenging and engaging them, and preparing them to be responsible citizens. They might hate that teacher who forces them to learn and to modify their behavior today, but they’ll be better humans for it later, and many will be thankful they had an authority in the classroom who cared more about educating them than being liked. That’s being a teacher. Maybe you should pursue another career?
  • Annalee82_
    Annalee82_ Posts: 320 Member
    Options

That's mean. They'll resent me even more.

I'm finding it really difficult believing you're a teacher. I guess given the state of the US educational system, it is a possibility though.

You're not there to be popular or to be friends with the kids. If you think that's why you're there, do those kids a favor and consider a career change.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    When I started I wanted to be the fun hip teacher but I gave in so much to and now since I've been more firmer and stern they hate me and ignore me. I became a doormat and kids didn't listen to me and didn't take me serious when I'm trying to be. Some of the kids adored me and all but now they completely ignore me...well not all kids. When I said hi to one of the students this morning, she sounded disappointed and said, "Hi". She happily said hi to the others. I told her nice dress. She said thanks. She prefers her other teachers over me. Okay that's fine. I want the kids to listen to me but I also want to be cool and well liked. The teachers said I needed to be more firmer and tougher but fair. So one student he said, "I HATE you." When I started being more firmer and wouldn't let him get away with certian things. Now the students I work with....well a few won't talk to me and ignore me. I wasn't rude. I waa being a teacher. Another student only said hi to the other three teachers. When I said good morning I was ignored. The teacher said, "You can say hi to Miss Bianca." He said it disappointly. How rude.
    I feel left out sometimes but just doing my job. Should I even care?
    Am I being paranoid?

All of this sounds silly. And feeling left out, sounds high schoolish.

How old are you and how old are the kids you are teaching?
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    When I started I wanted to be the fun hip teacher but I gave in so much to and now since I've been more firmer and stern they hate me and ignore me. I became a doormat and kids didn't listen to me and didn't take me serious when I'm trying to be. Some of the kids adored me and all but now they completely ignore me...well not all kids. When I said hi to one of the students this morning, she sounded disappointed and said, "Hi". She happily said hi to the others. I told her nice dress. She said thanks. She prefers her other teachers over me. Okay that's fine. I want the kids to listen to me but I also want to be cool and well liked. The teachers said I needed to be more firmer and tougher but fair. So one student he said, "I HATE you." When I started being more firmer and wouldn't let him get away with certian things. Now the students I work with....well a few won't talk to me and ignore me. I wasn't rude. I waa being a teacher. Another student only said hi to the other three teachers. When I said good morning I was ignored. The teacher said, "You can say hi to Miss Bianca." He said it disappointly. How rude.
    I feel left out sometimes but just doing my job. Should I even care?
    Am I being paranoid?

I'd say wrong goal.

Instead of being cool or hip, which is very transient, be the teacher students can count on to be a competent educator who cares.

The teachers I look back on as I approach my 35th class reunion are not those who were cool or hip. I look back on those who brought out the very best in me.

When I was in 4th grade, it's a good thing ADD or ADHD had not yet been invented or I would have had it. I have this old pentecostal woman who was my teacher who didn't put up with my crap. But she also knew I was bright and bored in class. She made sure I had challenging work and kept my mind engaged.

I remember giving her a hug and kiss at the end of 4th grade.

It wasn't the cool and hip teachers who were able to reach me. It was the teacher who could see who I was and what I needed and made it happened. She "played" the long game and changed my life.

Not saying a cool hip teacher couldn't do that. But it's not done by being cool or hip. It's done by really caring that the student learns. Not being afraid to challenge the student to learn and grow.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Teachers have feelings too!

I had a math teacher who was very strict - kids used to try to get a rise out of him because he never got upset no matter what. One kid filled the large metal wastebasket with the edges off printer paper (back in the day when printer paper had edges) and lit it on fire. Flames shooting up and scorching the ceiling, sprinklers going off, and he directs one student to get the fire extinguisher, another to cover the lab computers with a tarp, and says to the kid who did it, perfectly calmly, "That will be ten points off your final grade."

Maybe no one liked him, but after that we sure admired him.

I learned his secret years later - he had a folder with photos of a garden in it, and he used to open it up and imagine he was in a garden when he got stressed. We thought he was grading papers! You have to find whatever resource will help you feel better when you need it, because kids are not well known for giving needy people emotional support.