Keto diet

Options
2»

Replies

• LisaMelton1
    LisaMelton1 Posts: 24 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I tried for 3 weeks after hitting a plateau on traditional low fat and didn’t lose any faster. I also had digestion problems with all the fat. Dr advice go back to low fat and walk more.
  • VBolt95
    VBolt95 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I started Keto on 4/9/18 and have lost 24 lbs (in 36 days). Still have a long way to go, but I feel great!! I breezed through the keto flu with lots of water. My sugar/carb cravings are gone. I find keto easier to follow now that the cravings are gone. There is lots of information and food ideas online. I've watched a lot of YouTube videos of other people that are on Keto and it's nice to see how others are following this WOE.
  • Meggie43
    Meggie43 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    If you can go the rest of your life without bread..pasta..fruit then Im sure it xan work. For me its not realistic and I know I couldn't sustain it.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    KETO IS MAGIC!!!

No. No it's not. in fact it's quite hard to do it properly, and not sustainable for the majority of people. You have no meal prep, starving out at a restaurant with your friends, you feel like you have to order, so you do, what do you get? how are you absolutely sure about the nutritional facts if they aren't labeled? It can be done, its not easy. You have to measure ketones, too much is bad. This isn't a diet where cheating on it can be done regularly, unless your cyclic. You are changing systems, constantly measuring and being aware. If you have all these habits and can do it, then it's great. If you can go without carbs in your life, if you can meal prep, if you do everything right, eventually it will become natural and a second language. Just because someone claims they lost 10 lbs in a week doesnt mean its magic. I take 6 pound poops, which to me, is more magical. To me, keto works great i've lost 40 some pounds, and my overall life is much better. Its more hectic so I consume lots of caffeine but thats another point. But just because I can doesnt mean you can. I only can because it works for me. If it doesnt work for you that okay. Keto isnt a last line of defense or the first. Its just a way of eating thats works well with me. Now if you want to try, go ahead. But if you fail and you fail pretty easily, than itll be tough. Keto was actually made for cognitive function and treatment, not fat loss. I dont do it for the fat loss. I'm with Mark Bell in the war on carbs. But that's me. Doesn't mean its for everyone.

Find what works for you, don't fall into the short cut trap. Work hard, be disciplined, you'll succeed.

Someone on a ketogenic diet does not actually have to measure ketones unless on a medically required ketogenic diet - like for epilepsy as you mentioned. Most people can know they are ketogenic is they eat fewer than 50g of carbs. Those inactive individuals with insulin resistance may need to go a bit lower, and active healthy people can often go higher.

If ketones in urine is measured using ketostix, it can be very unreliable because it is just the excess ketones - those tend to decline as time goes on. After 3 years, I barely test in ketosis even when I eat almost no carbs.

It is almost impossible to get ketone levels that are too high unless you are a T2D (or a few extreme situations like a binging, chronic alcoholic).
  • NGentRD
    NGentRD Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    KETO IS MAGIC!!!

No. No it's not. in fact it's quite hard to do it properly, and not sustainable for the majority of people. You have no meal prep, starving out at a restaurant with your friends, you feel like you have to order, so you do, what do you get? how are you absolutely sure about the nutritional facts if they aren't labeled? It can be done, its not easy. You have to measure ketones, too much is bad. This isn't a diet where cheating on it can be done regularly, unless your cyclic. You are changing systems, constantly measuring and being aware. If you have all these habits and can do it, then it's great. If you can go without carbs in your life, if you can meal prep, if you do everything right, eventually it will become natural and a second language. Just because someone claims they lost 10 lbs in a week doesnt mean its magic. I take 6 pound poops, which to me, is more magical. To me, keto works great i've lost 40 some pounds, and my overall life is much better. Its more hectic so I consume lots of caffeine but thats another point. But just because I can doesnt mean you can. I only can because it works for me. If it doesnt work for you that okay. Keto isnt a last line of defense or the first. Its just a way of eating thats works well with me. Now if you want to try, go ahead. But if you fail and you fail pretty easily, than itll be tough. Keto was actually made for cognitive function and treatment, not fat loss. I dont do it for the fat loss. I'm with Mark Bell in the war on carbs. But that's me. Doesn't mean its for everyone.

Find what works for you, don't fall into the short cut trap. Work hard, be disciplined, you'll succeed.

Someone on a ketogenic diet does not actually have to measure ketones unless on a medically required ketogenic diet - like for epilepsy as you mentioned. Most people can know they are ketogenic is they eat fewer than 50g of carbs. Those inactive individuals with insulin resistance may need to go a bit lower, and active healthy people can often go higher.

If ketones in urine is measured using ketostix, it can be very unreliable because it is just the excess ketones - those tend to decline as time goes on. After 3 years, I barely test in ketosis even when I eat almost no carbs.

It is almost impossible to get ketone levels that are too high unless you are a T2D (or a few extreme situations like a binging, chronic alcoholic).

ketostix also only measure 1 type of ketone and that particular ketone decreases in concentration as you become keto adapted "fatdapted" like it? But it doesnt hurt to check because with ketostic because certain random things can kick you out of ketosis. Ususally you'd feel it but to be safe as long as you have a trace you'll be good. On the high note. I don't have any conditions you mentioned and my liver just started over working and produced a concentration of 9mmol/L in my blood, was feeling nauseous so i went to the clinic to be safe. Very rare as I was experimenting with different ratios. Checking isnt required its just cool to physically see and helpful. I test with blood once a week or if i fell like ive been kicked out.
  • NGentRD
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    I did keto for a year before returning to a more balanced way of eating. I'll sum up my experience:

Pros:
    - Quick whoosh of water weight loss in the first 1-2 weeks
    - Flatter stomach due to less bloating
    - Less gas
    - Stable and gradual hunger levels (no sugar crashes)
    - More long-lasting satiety from protein and fat

Cons:
    - Missing carbs (#1 con for me)
    - Planning restaurant meals and eating with loved ones was difficult and frustrating
    - Workouts and running suffered
    - Keto flu (first week or two, unpleasant side effects)
    - Developed bad relationship with food (eating carbs caused guilt, demonizing a food group)

Ultimately, when I quit keto, I overdid it with all the carbs I desperately missed and ended up regaining all the weight I lost. Since then, I've re-lost the weight with calorie counting and enjoying all foods in moderation. I still follow a general low-carb approach to eating, as I find fat and protein more filling than simple carbs, but this approach has been much healthier and more sustainable for me.

Such an honest and realistic answer. legit love it. I've never had keto flu but it doesnt sound fun, even if it only lasts a few days
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    I did keto for a year before returning to a more balanced way of eating. I'll sum up my experience:

Pros:
    - Quick whoosh of water weight loss in the first 1-2 weeks
    - Flatter stomach due to less bloating
    - Less gas
    - Stable and gradual hunger levels (no sugar crashes)
    - More long-lasting satiety from protein and fat

Cons:
    - Missing carbs (#1 con for me)
    - Planning restaurant meals and eating with loved ones was difficult and frustrating
    - Workouts and running suffered
    - Keto flu (first week or two, unpleasant side effects)
    - Developed bad relationship with food (eating carbs caused guilt, demonizing a food group)

Ultimately, when I quit keto, I overdid it with all the carbs I desperately missed and ended up regaining all the weight I lost. Since then, I've re-lost the weight with calorie counting and enjoying all foods in moderation. I still follow a general low-carb approach to eating, as I find fat and protein more filling than simple carbs, but this approach has been much healthier and more sustainable for me.

Such an honest and realistic answer. legit love it. I've never had keto flu but it doesnt sound fun, even if it only lasts a few days

Thanks! I think keto can work if you've never really cared much for carbs. But I've always enjoyed eating plenty of fruit, legumes, beans, breads, pastas, rice, etc. So now I aim for around 150g carbs per day so I can enjoy all those things in small portions!
  • NGentRD
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I think keto--as a weight loss plan, not an epilepsy treatment--is totally doable in everyday life. What do you order at a restaurant? How about grilled chicken over salad with some cheese and nuts and olive oil dressing and lemon juice? Might it have some hidden starch or sugar? Sure, but it's likely minimal--and if it's not, it's not going to kill you on occasion.

I bought those keto stix out of curiosity and rarely get a positive on them as I guzzle water all day...doesn't really matter as I am still losing weight and getting 20 net carbs a day on average. I know it's called the keto diet, but I'm pretty certain it's calorie restriction and not ketosis that actually matters here, and the satiating impact of the nutrition is what really drives success, not the fat burning element, which I suspect is over-hyped.

yeah. I said it was possible, you gave a good answer. My point is many people can't make that decision. They think its a free pass and can eat what they want. And yes, calories and hormones have to do with fat loss. if you take in more than what you burn you can gain wieght on a keto diet.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I tried for 3 weeks after hitting a plateau on traditional low fat and didn’t lose any faster. I also had digestion problems with all the fat. Dr advice go back to low fat and walk more.

Is there a medical reason for low fat? This is the type of dieting I used to do in the 1980's. I do moderate fat now because I find it more satiating than low fat.
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    KETO IS MAGIC!!!

Um...the steak.

Eating on the go is a pain in the neck, but restaurants are easy.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

Is there a medical reason for low fat? This is the type of dieting I used to do in the 1980's. I do moderate fat now because I find it more satiating than low fat.
    it says they had issues with digestion with all that fat so sounds like they have an issue with high fat amounts
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    KETO IS MAGIC!!!

ketostix also only measure 1 type of ketone and that particular ketone decreases in concentration as you become keto adapted "fatdapted" like it? But it doesnt hurt to check because with ketostic because certain random things can kick you out of ketosis. Ususally you'd feel it but to be safe as long as you have a trace you'll be good. On the high note. I don't have any conditions you mentioned and my liver just started over working and produced a concentration of 9mmol/L in my blood, was feeling nauseous so i went to the clinic to be safe. Very rare as I was experimenting with different ratios. Checking isnt required its just cool to physically see and helpful. I test with blood once a week or if i fell like ive been kicked out.

9 mmol/L is pretty high. Were you dehydrated? That can have quite an impact on ketone levels on ketostix.
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    KETO IS MAGIC!!!

Um...the steak.

Ugh—there was supposed to be a smiley face. It comes off really hostile without the smiley face, and that was not the intent!
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    KETO IS MAGIC!!!

Um...the steak.

With bacon on the side! :yum:

But yeah, all my friends know I don't eat carbs, so if I order a burger and don't eat the bun it's no big deal.