HELP! - Im in the RED by lunch.

Options
Day 2 HELP! - Im in the RED by lunch.

Hi, Im Maggie.

Obviously, I dont have a clue. I am getting huge!!! (food is my only guilty pleasure.) :devil:

Problem: due to circumstances at the moment, I am eating all my meals out. Fast food & Cheap.

Need suggestions, and friends who I can look at their meal plans. :huh:

Thanks!

Replies

• hm_day
    hm_day Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Add me. It's okay, weight loss is a process, not something you can change right away. Feel free to add me, look at my diary, and also feel free to join in my support group forum (hm_day's support group). And cut back on the fast food :)
  • Fochizzy
    Fochizzy Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    You can eat fast food, but PORTION CONTROL. No need to order anything but a small. Divide the meal in 1/2 and only eat the half!
  • RdySetGO11
    RdySetGO11 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I know how ya feel! Feel free to friend me! My diary is open, but I did have Mcdonalds today AND yesterday! WTH?!?! lol, usually I don't do that but I've been out and about both days and not really been at home!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Avoid everything with fried in the title. Look for baked or grilled in the title. Pick a meal with steamed veggies or raw veggies. Don't drink your calories (go for water only). Don't eat the free foods provided (chips, rolls, etc), they add an average of 500 calories to your meal. Ask the server what they recommend and customize everything you can (no mayo, dressing on side to dip your fork in, no butter, no sour cream).
  • jkincaid0202
    Options
    You can add me as well. Hang in there... it gets better!
  • ka_bateman
    ka_bateman Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Taco Bell has their FRESCO menu...I get two fresco soft chicken tacos for 300 cals total...or Carl's Jr Turkey Burger for 490 cals I think. It's still possible!
  • njbooklover
    njbooklover Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You can add me as well.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Check out Everyday Food magazine in your grocery checkout. It's a good little food magazine. You can eat healthy food for less. Frozen veggies are cheaper than fresh and you are not losing any nutritional value. You can buy meat in larger sizes and freeze the leftover for use in the future.

Also, for healthy snacks check out www.snackgirl.com

Oh and check out the forums on here, a lot of people post easy, healthy, inexpensive meals to make (you can use the search tool in the forums).

Good luck!
  • Suzay
    Suzay Posts: 60
    Options
    Whenever you feel you have energy, just begin doing jumping jacks. It's easier than just doing crunches instantly (as a lot of people recommend when you feel you have "energy") But if you notice you've been sitting for a while and doing zero then just get up and do jumping jacks. As many as you can, 5 10 15 20, whatever. Do this for the rest of the day, when I do jumping jacks I go for 3 1/2 minutes 4x a day and I burn 90 calories so if you're heavier than you will burn more. Good luckkk!
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    I just ate a juicy ham & swiss sandwich & hearty cup of soup for less than 400 calories - super delicious - you can add me & look at my diary if you want.
    Just a reminder - purchasing & preparing your own food is healthier and you BURN CALORIES PREPARING it! don't burn as many calories in a drive-thru - I've made a rule NOT to use the drive thru - if I MUST have fast food, get out of the car and walk in (will give me time to change my mind)
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    Just a couple quick tips from looking at your diary for the last couple of days. Skip the sugary soda & opt for water or a diet drink.
    Go for grilled foods or salads (watch out for the Salad dressings though) when you can. Get a side salad or fruit cup if you can instead of fries. I simply skip the fries most of the time. If nothing else, watch your portions. Eat one hot dog, not two! 1/2 cup of something instead of 1.

Don't worry, with time and practice, you'll get better at it.
  • gritgirl
    gritgirl Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    fast food eating is a challenge. you know i don't want the salad, but that is healthier. i know for me that i get sick if i eat all the things i love in fast food too much. there are some good options on different fast food menus. where do you live? around here in DC we have a great new soup place called Zoup! where I can get some healthier options. And at Wendy's I can eat the baked potato and chili or can order a grilled chicken without fries. also, places like subway have the mini subs which are tiny but for me are actually enough.

so it depends a lot on where you live and what the options are.
  • Scott_Parkinson
    Scott_Parkinson Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Something else that will help is to hold all cheese/mayo/special sauce.....I took of the cheese and mayo on a whopper and it knocks off a decent number of calories and a lot of fat. I also try to eat only a small portion of the fries (those are the worst; with all the fat and salt). If you are looking for somewhat healthy, cheap food, a 6 inch roasted chicken or veggie sub from Subway would work out well. They are a bit high on carbs, but the calorie and fat content are outstanding (as long as you don't use Mayo, of course). Good Luck.
  • rachrach66
    rachrach66 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Hey I understand your pain. I love fast food. Well not its kind of a love/hate relationship. I suggest first going to eatthis.menshealth.com/ It will help you with making healthier choices at fast food spots and other restaurants. Also if you are eating a lot of frozen foods. Read the labels! Check all things not just calories, and fats. Check sodium you want it to be around 600mg or less. My diary is open but I'm currently doing Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 Meal Plan. Feel free to check back entries for April-May. Good luck!
  • Cinnamonie
    Cinnamonie Posts: 138
    Options
    Some good fast food ideas: 1 snack wrap for lunch (mcdonald's, about 330cal), also anything off taco bell fresco menu is yummy and low cal!
  • Shalimarmandy
    Shalimarmandy Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Just a couple quick tips from looking at your diary for the last couple of days. Skip the sugary soda & opt for water or a diet drink.
    Go for grilled foods or salads (watch out for the Salad dressings though) when you can. Get a side salad or fruit cup if you can instead of fries. I simply skip the fries most of the time. If nothing else, watch your portions. Eat one hot dog, not two! 1/2 cup of something instead of 1.

Don't worry, with time and practice, you'll get better at it.

This! but I also noticed the fried rice... Most chinese will sub that out for steamed white/brown rice instead... WAY less calories...

Feel free to add if you need motivation or another MFP friend.
  • wvualum
    wvualum Posts: 428
    Options

Hi, Im Maggie.

Obviously, I dont have a clue. I am getting huge!!! (food is my only guilty pleasure.) :devil:

Problem: due to circumstances at the moment, I am eating all my meals out. Fast food & Cheap.

Thanks!

Do you eat fast food because it is cheap or convenient? Could you eat at home if provided ideas for cheap meals at home?
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    if i am traveling and have to eat fast food i tend to stop into wendy's. a grilled chicken sandwich (no mayo and ditch at least half the bun), a baked potato with a bit of salt and pepper, some apple slices or a side salad.
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Avoid everything with fried in the title. Look for baked or grilled in the title. Pick a meal with steamed veggies or raw veggies. Don't drink your calories (go for water only). Don't eat the free foods provided (chips, rolls, etc), they add an average of 500 calories to your meal. Ask the server what they recommend and customize everything you can (no mayo, dressing on side to dip your fork in, no butter, no sour cream).

Pretty much sums it all up in one paragraph!

You never HAVE to eat ALL your meals as fast food. If you're in your home once a day you can put together a healthy, filling & portable lunch to take with you each day.

Feel free to add me. My diary is open so you can help yourself to any ideas etc.

Stick with it, it's a journey - and ultimately a rewarding one!
  • cblack51
    cblack51 Posts: 20
    Options
    Hi Maggie,
    I know how you feel, that is how I gained most of my weight.. Now if I do eat out at a fast food place, such as McDonalds I will order double cheese burger or double hamburger, have them add lots of pickles and onions, and then I will ask for a fork and not eat the bread, also I will order the fruit and walnut snack or a fruit parfait and a diet drink, or water . Go online and check the calories for McDonalds @ http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/nutritionexchange/nutritionfacts.pdf, It took me looking at the amount of calories to change my way of ordering. Good luck..

Im Maggie.

Thanks!
    [/quote]