Hypothyroid and weight loss

Options
2»

Replies

• Lyrica7
    Lyrica7 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    The testing you should be looking at is free T4 and free T3 levels not total T4 and total T3. Your free T4 should be in the upper 3/4 of the range and so should your free T3. I've had my thyroid removed and had thyroid disease most of my life with some of my labs never getting out of the normal range thyroid disease is complicated it is where your Labs fall in this range and what your symptoms are. Also if you have Hashimoto's and your TPO antibodies are high you are in a flare up and need to get that number down
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Excellent - your TSH is ideal and it is honestly great news that you have a doc that ordered a full panel.

fT3 is the focus, but easily treated - still find it concerning that a quicker prescription wasn't filled.

Physicians receive little to no formal training on diet/exercise or weight management, so you often get pop culture advice with no knowledge of weight management.

There is an inherent 20% degree of error in calorie calculation. I'm a lazy logger and I enter 1.2 if I'm in a deficit and not seeing movement in the desired direction.

I would still stick to your MFP recommended data, but be cautious with exercise calories as nearly all calculations are overestimated. My Fitbit data often puts me at 1000 kcal burn/day which is grossly overestimated and I'm 47, 6'4" 215 lbs.

When is your medication coming?
  • TrinityR05
    TrinityR05 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hi, I was just curious how you all were diagnosed? Did you go to the doctor due to symptoms you were having or did they find out through a physical exam with yearly bloodwork checkup?
  • drockncrisso
    drockncrisso Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I should get my meds Thursday, according to usps tracking. I’ll do my best to chill mentally as I wait for them to start working. I know it’s gonna take quite some time.
    In the meantime, logging 1.2 makes sense for pre-packaged food, I’ll try that.

And Trinity- I was diagnosed because, while complaining about my current bizarre over month long weight loss plateau, it was pointed out that my struggle could be hampered by hypothyroid- and I had been tested 8 years ago because I have a lot of the other symptoms. At that time, I was not too low- but when I decided to get tests again this time, we found I am indeed hypothyroid. So in my case, I was the one who requested the test because of symptoms.
  • TrinityR05
    edited May 2018
    Options
    What were some of your symptoms?
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    TrinityR05 wrote: »
    Hi, I was just curious how you all were diagnosed? Did you go to the doctor due to symptoms you were having or did they find out through a physical exam with yearly bloodwork checkup?

I went to the doctor for a check up because my period was becomming very irregular and I was having an increase in frequency and intensity of migraines. The doctor wanted to do various things like a blood test, ultrasound, pelvic exam and endomitrial biopsy.
    I did not think I had a health problem when I went just thought it was perimenopause but thought I should get checked out because my mom had had uterine cancer. It never crossed my mind that my thyroid was not functioning properly.
    In retrospect my body was screaming at me in other ways that something was wrong for quite awhile but I ignored those symptoms.

• TrinityR05
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »

I went to the doctor for a check up because my period was becomming very irregular and I was having an increase in frequency and intensity of migraines. The doctor wanted to do various things like a blood test, ultrasound, pelvic exam and endomitrial biopsy.
    I did not think I had a health problem when I went just thought it was perimenopause but thought I should get checked out because my mom had had uterine cancer. It never crossed my mind that my thyroid was not functioning properly.
    In retrospect my body was screaming at me in other ways that something was wrong for quite awhile but I ignored those symptoms.

Thank you for sharing this with me. I guess symptoms can really vary from person to person.

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I should get my meds Thursday, according to usps tracking. I’ll do my best to chill mentally as I wait for them to start working. I know it’s gonna take quite some time.
    In the meantime, logging 1.2 makes sense for pre-packaged food, I’ll try that.

And Trinity- I was diagnosed because, while complaining about my current bizarre over month long weight loss plateau, it was pointed out that my struggle could be hampered by hypothyroid- and I had been tested 8 years ago because I have a lot of the other symptoms. At that time, I was not too low- but when I decided to get tests again this time, we found I am indeed hypothyroid. So in my case, I was the one who requested the test because of symptoms.

I look at this from a perspective of prioritization. You don't worry about paying your mortgage when you're lost in the woods. Get out of the woods first.

Be cautious on maintaining a deficit and working out - cannot stress this enough. The reason so many plans fail is that the goals are unrealistic. Achieving your weight goal should be established at a year from now. About the longest deficit I can maintain and run is 12 weeks and that is painful.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »

Thank you for sharing this with me. I guess symptoms can really vary from person to person.

If your body is off it is worth getting checked out.

Things I ignored or put down as something else- exhaustion/lethargy, weird skin patches, dry skin, very sensitive teeth, depression, having more difficulty losing weight, wacky body temperature, trouble concentrating/memory, achy joints

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hypothyroidism/symptoms-causes/syc-20350284
    https://hypothyroidmom.com/300-hypothyroidism-symptoms-yes-really/